Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Okay. Take it back. That’s the easiest way to avoid having an XS. I had an X and now a Max and I don’t even see the notch anymore. But if you can’t get around this issue then it isn’t for you. And there’s no way your 6 takes as good of a pic as the max. Sorry. My kid still has a 6s he uses for school and the the two phones don’t have the same photo taking ability.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm always amazed at the people who "Hate the Notch"

And yet they never had a problem with the absolutely massive patches of dead glass on the chin and forehead bezels of previous iPhones.
ay6r2jq.jpg

Oh I get it... sometimes there is content that goes into the little "ears" on either side of the notch. And I see how it can be annoying.

But I'd rather have the notch instead of a bunch of wasted space where no content can go on the front of the phone.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I guess karma threw its handcuffs on me for complaining. My 6 dropped and apparently I damaged the cellular antennae.

So I went to the Apple store and got a XS SG 256. $1200.

5 hours later I miss my 6 so much that I am going to bring it to a repair place and see if I can get it repaired.

5 hours later.....The notch is terrible. I am trying to remember all the people that said it’s beautiful and fun last year and how much I disagreed. After using the XS for 5 hours I now know it’s terrible. It’s an eye sore. The design is such a fail. I am convinced that Jobs would never let this be released like this. It’s painful. Unnatural. It doesn’t work for me at all. The same people that say the notch is great are the same people that say trump has good hair.

Yellow tint is terrible. Now I see what people are whining about.

This phone is so not worth $1200. For me it’s a step back. I know that’s sounds absurd but this is my honest opinion after using it. Believe me if I felt any different I would say so. But I am still holding true to many of my perceived troll posts. This phone does nothing spectacular compared to my 6 at all. The notch is just totally atrocious. If a TV had a notch people would not accept it.

Anyhoo. Missing my 6. Typing this on a very highly over rated XS.

It does nothing differently or better than my 6 at all. $1200 for a device that does essentially the same way as a 6 is a twisted joke. People that talk about processors are idiotic. This is a phone. Not a desktop doing Adobe Premiere. My god what a waste of $$$.

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.
I’m the opposite. I have a 6 plus and replaced it with an XS and was blown away with the response and facial recognition. I returned it because I was having second thoughts about not purchasing the Max and wainting for the XR. I’m back to the 6 Plus and hating every minute of it.

Reactions: green86

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm always amazed at the people who "Hate the Notch"

And yet they never had a problem with the absolutely massive patches of dead glass on the chin and forehead bezels of previous iPhones.
ay6r2jq.jpg

Oh I get it... sometimes there is content that goes into the little "ears" on either side of the notch. And I see how it can be annoying.

But I'd rather have the notch instead of a bunch of wasted space where no content can go on the front of the phone.

This! I don’t know why it took so damn long for Apple to get rid of the forehead and chin.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’ve posted on a different thread that I was very close to getting a 8 Plus to replace my 7Plus because I wanted Touch ID and was skeptical of the notch and Face ID.
I was wrong. I would have mad if I had gotten the 8 Plus instead of the XS Max. I know the 8 Plus is a great phone but it was better for me to get the latest design after 2 years with the 7Plus.

What I find strange about the OP is that you have a phone that is 4 years old. In that time we’ve had the 6S the 7 the 8 the X and now XS and you buy the XS and in your opinion it stinks. You could have made that determination with a demo XS at the Apple store.
You’re 6 is broken you could have ordered a 7 or 8 from the Apple store.
If I want a 7 or 8 I can buy one right now on the Apple Store app and pick it up tomorrow.
The 6 is still getting iOS updates but that’s about it.
I don’t care who is still using a 4 or 5. That *hit breaks it’s over so get a new phone why don’t ya.

Reactions: green86

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
just typing this now with the notch is so weird. It’s just so ugly.

If you are typing why are you looking at the notch? the keyboard is at the bottom of the screen. When it comes to productivity type tasks, the notch is never a concern. The notch impacts movies and gaming. not writing emails or using Slack.

Remember:

People that talk about * are *. This is a phone. Not a desktop doing Adobe Premiere.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Who said the notch was beautiful? All people were saying is that you don’t notice it after a week. I don’t think it looks good, but it doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: Vermifuge

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
5 hours is too less to make a decision like that but going by your post history, you like to bash apple for stupid reasons.

If you can’t see the difference in picture quality between your 6 and Xs Max then genuinely you’ve got some sort of eyesight issues or you just don’t understand photography.

odin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I just sent my 6 off for cash. XSM replaced it. I’d never go back to the 6. Too small, too slow, too limited, and the camera can’t compare unless your vision is equal to that off Ray Charles.

Reactions: BuffaloTF

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I was against the notch when the iPhone X was released but to be honest it has grown on me. I still don't like it, but I understand why it was done like that. It took me barely any time to just ignore it on my XS. Aside from the notch and price tag the XS has a lot to like about it.

5 hours is barely enough time to setup the phone IMO let alone get used to it.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This thread makes me LOL!
[doublepost=1539179792][/doublepost]
I was against the notch when the iPhone X was released but to be honest it has grown on me. I still don't like it, but I understand why it was done like that. It took me barely any time to just ignore it on my XS. Aside from the notch and price tag the XS has a lot to like about it.

5 hours is barely enough time to setup the phone IMO let alone get used to it.
I barely even see the notch anymore.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I thought getting used to the notch would be issue. Boy was I wrong. Within 15 minutes of first startup, I was so pleased with the XS that I completely forgot about the "notch". It's now just another design element to me.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I was about to say "I can't believe" people are still making these threads but it only took a second for me to remember where I was.

Take a look back at last year's posts and see the masses complain about the notch and talk about how "un-Jobs" it is before the phone was released. Fast forward about two weeks and see those same members backtrack and say how wrong they were. It's quite easy if you understand how the search function works.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess karma threw its handcuffs on me for complaining. My 6 dropped and apparently I damaged the cellular antennae.

So I went to the Apple store and got a XS SG 256. $1200.

5 hours later I miss my 6 so much that I am going to bring it to a repair place and see if I can get it repaired.

5 hours later.....The notch is terrible. I am trying to remember all the people that said it’s beautiful and fun last year and how much I disagreed. After using the XS for 5 hours I now know it’s terrible. It’s an eye sore. The design is such a fail. I am convinced that Jobs would never let this be released like this. It’s painful. Unnatural. It doesn’t work for me at all. The same people that say the notch is great are the same people that say trump has good hair.

Yellow tint is terrible. Now I see what people are whining about.

This phone is so not worth $1200. For me it’s a step back. I know that’s sounds absurd but this is my honest opinion after using it. Believe me if I felt any different I would say so. But I am still holding true to many of my perceived troll posts. This phone does nothing spectacular compared to my 6 at all. The notch is just totally atrocious. If a TV had a notch people would not accept it.

Anyhoo. Missing my 6. Typing this on a very highly over rated XS.

It does nothing differently or better than my 6 at all. $1200 for a device that does essentially the same way as a 6 is a twisted joke. People that talk about processors are idiotic. This is a phone. Not a desktop doing Adobe Premiere. My god what a waste of $$$.

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.

I have an idea for you... buy another iPhone 6

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Why would a TV have a Notch? Is it housing any cameras, sensors or Dot projector to unlock someone’s face? No. The iPhone includes the notch because it houses all those components for Face ID. Not Really an appropriate comparison in your post.

The notch doesn't exist because of Face ID. The notch exists because they wanted an edge-to-edge screen and needed a place for the front facing camera, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, microphone, earpiece, etc.

Face ID is not responsible for the notch. It might be responsible for it being larger then it would have been otherwise, but the edge-to-edge screen is the real culprit. If Face ID goes away tomorrow, the notch would remain.

Also, I have my old 6 Plus sitting right here next to my XS Max. Anyone who thinks these two devices are the same just has their head stuck in the sand.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think it's buyer's remorse. It's a realization that in 4 years, not much has changed on the iPhone except the addition of an ugly notch, slightly less crappy camera, and one second taken off of app launch times. You get all that- for $1200. Whada deal.

Reactions: cornerexit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.