Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The notch doesn't exist because of Face ID.

I understand your point. But my reply to that other member indicating why would a notch exist for a TV is a frivolous agruement, when the Direct intent behind the Notch actually houses all those sensors for Face ID, Regardless if Apple could implement a display with or without the Notch, other tech products don’t need to include a Notch because various members simply don’t understand the amount of intricate technology that is involved with all the key components to make Face ID successful. Those are two things that many conflict between a physical appearance with the notch and the actual purpose behind it.

If Face ID goes away tomorrow, the notch would remain..

Neither of us have evidence to support this theory, but I would disagree. I think if face ID would be eliminated completely, I don’t see the notch being there just for the sake of not having intent. And I think Apple, more specifically, Apple engineers would agree that it’s Core purpose is to execute exactly what Face ID is meant to do.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Neither of us have evidence to support this theory, but I would disagree. I think if face ID would be eliminated completely, I don’t see the notch being there just for the sake of not having intent.

So where would they put the earpiece? The front-facing camera? There's 5-6 pieces of hardware up there that have nothing to do with Face ID. Where do they all go? I still say, if you get rid of Face ID, you still have a notch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So where would they put the earpiece? The front-facing camera? There's 5-6 pieces of hardware up there that have nothing to do with Face ID. Where do they all go? I still say, if you get rid of Face ID, you still have a notch.

To be perfectly honest with you, its not worth arguing/discussing something that really has no relevance, because it’s nonexistent as it currently stands. I understand your theory, it’s just I don’t agree with it. I don’t believe the Apple would allow for the sake of a design to be existent just ‘Because’. I can come up with a hypothesis and so can you, but none of it really adds up to anything. I think we are going to agree to disagree.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I don't think it's buyer's remorse. It's a realization that in 4 years, not much has changed on the iPhone except the addition of an ugly notch, slightly less crappy camera, and one second taken off of app launch times. You get all that- for $1200. Whada deal.
The iPhone X Series tracks every move of your face and is able to apply instant makeup and even face surgery in an augmented reality. And yet some people claim not much has changed? What the hell has changed from iPhone 5 to 8. The fingerprint sensor was the last major addition and the rest was just refinement, screen sizes and different ways to hide the antenna bands. Replacing the Home Button is like eliminating the mouse on a Mac. The whole user concept has been overhauled and yet some people only shrug shoulders. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: akash.nu

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
You can get iPhone 8. It would be the same form factor as your 6 and will be many times faster in day to day tasks.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I took a pic of my girlfriends turkey burger earlier and I showed her the pic and asked if it was any better than her 7 or my 6 or a blackberry. She laughed. I laugh too. I took beautiful clear pics with iPhone 4 and 5. Now I have people telling me the XS I’m holding is actually capable of taking pics like a Canon Mark D5 or something.

Sorry to be such a troll, but wow, I simply cannot believe how duped people are these days.

My 6 was so perfect. No, do not have buyers remorse at all. Verizon had no iPhones for sale. So I was sort of forced into running to the apple store and figured I would try the XS. My job requires constant communication so not having a phone for many hours is painful.

Anyhoo, god, just typing this now with the notch is so weird. It’s just so ugly. So un-Jobsy. So unappealing. Such terrible aesthetic design. I do not know how anyone in their right mind can say it’s better than no notch. That’s just beyond astonishing to me.
There are plenty of camera samples out there that show a noticeable positive difference between photos taken with the XS and the X - never mind the 6! There’s a stark difference in my own point-and-snap shots with the XS versus the same image captured with my work iPhone 7. You’re entitled to your personal viewpoints on the notch, but the claims you’re making about the camera are just outright wrong.

Out of interest - if the notch is the thing that’s so clearly bothering you about the XS, what on earth possessed you to drop so much money on one? You said you bought it from the store. Couldn’t you see from just picking up the demo model that you weren’t going to like it? If the 6 was so perfect, why didn’t you just pick up an iPhone 7?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I don't think it's buyer's remorse. It's a realization that in 4 years, not much has changed on the iPhone except the addition of an ugly notch, slightly less crappy camera, and one second taken off of app launch times. You get all that- for $1200. Whada deal.

So the notch is ugly? How about all that wasted space before? I’d rather have a notch that doesn’t bother me then wasted space for nothing.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
All your problems can be easily solved by returning XS and getting 7 for 449$. No notch, solid state Touch ID, water & dust resistance and a lightning to 3.5 mm audio jack included. ;)

Seriously, why pay 1200$ for a phone you do not like? Go back to the same form factor as 6 and save yourself 750$.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
When I switched to bifocals way back when it was initially horrible, everything seemed off, I couldn't adjust, etc. I called my Optometrist and asked if I could return them and he sad no. He then explained I needed to give it a week, if they were still a problem then he would gladly take them back, he said he got that request all the time with people new to them. Of course he was right, it took a little bit of adjustment then I never even thought twice about it.

At first the notch and yellow tint were a little weird for me but I never notice it now. Maybe try to give it a few days of good use before making the jump back, the return policy is 14 days so there isn't much to lose.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
5 hours is not enough time to make a definite decision. Give it atleast a week and then if you're unhappy return it.
You probably have true tone enabled that's why you're getting an "yellow tint".
Even with it disabled the newer iPhones still produced a warmer tone than the eye sore blue tint from the iPhone 6 panels. The Notch won't bother you after awhile since you'll be looking at the center and bottom of the screen most of the times.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I guess karma threw its handcuffs on me for complaining. My 6 dropped and apparently I damaged the cellular antennae.

So I went to the Apple store and got a XS SG 256. $1200.

5 hours later I miss my 6 so much that I am going to bring it to a repair place and see if I can get it repaired.

5 hours later.....The notch is terrible. I am trying to remember all the people that said it’s beautiful and fun last year and how much I disagreed. After using the XS for 5 hours I now know it’s terrible. It’s an eye sore. The design is such a fail. I am convinced that Jobs would never let this be released like this. It’s painful. Unnatural. It doesn’t work for me at all. The same people that say the notch is great are the same people that say trump has good hair.

Yellow tint is terrible. Now I see what people are whining about.

This phone is so not worth $1200. For me it’s a step back. I know that’s sounds absurd but this is my honest opinion after using it. Believe me if I felt any different I would say so. But I am still holding true to many of my perceived troll posts. This phone does nothing spectacular compared to my 6 at all. The notch is just totally atrocious. If a TV had a notch people would not accept it.

Anyhoo. Missing my 6. Typing this on a very highly over rated XS.

It does nothing differently or better than my 6 at all. $1200 for a device that does essentially the same way as a 6 is a twisted joke. People that talk about processors are idiotic. This is a phone. Not a desktop doing Adobe Premiere. My god what a waste of $$$.

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.
The Mempji is so much fun :D Maybe that will change your mind.

chripuck

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
I guess karma threw its handcuffs on me for complaining. My 6 dropped and apparently I damaged the cellular antennae.

5 hours later I miss my 6 so much that I am going to bring it to a repair place and see if I can get it repaired.

5 hours later.....The notch is terrible. I am trying to remember all the people that said it’s beautiful and fun last year and how much I disagreed. After using the XS for 5 hours I now know it’s terrible. It’s an eye sore. The design is such a fail. I am convinced that Jobs would never let this be released like this. It’s painful. Unnatural. It doesn’t work for me at all. The same people that say the notch is great are the same people that say trump has good hair.

This phone is so not worth $1200. For me it’s a step back. I know that’s sounds absurd but this is my honest opinion after using it. Believe me if I felt any different I would say so. But I am still holding true to many of my perceived troll posts. This phone does nothing spectacular compared to my 6 at all. The notch is just totally atrocious. If a TV had a notch people would not accept it.

It does nothing differently or better than my 6 at all. $1200 for a device that does essentially the same way as a 6 is a twisted joke. People that talk about processors are idiotic. This is a phone. Not a desktop doing Adobe Premiere. My god what a waste of $$$.

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.
Boy, that's all a bit dramatic. You miss your 6 that much? This thing is a huge improvement over my 7 (outside of the LTE issues obviously.)

Not saying you should keep it, you do you, but your post seems a bit over the top for a 4 year old phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2013
I assume you can return it and use the money to buy 8? It looks same as 6

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I understand your theory, it’s just I don’t agree with it.

I'm just trying to educate people since I'm really sick of hearing how Face ID mandates the notch. Until the rest of the stuff can be made to work behind the screen, or get located elsewhere, Face ID is NOT the reason the notch exists.

Agree or not, I really don't care. I just wish people would stop spreading nonsense.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010

Ugh. Gimme my 6 back.

Nice choice. Stick with the cheap phone. Return the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.