Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I just picked up a M2 15 Air in Midnight. Got it new from Best Buy for $1600 with a 1TBHD and 16gb ram. Get one now since they are not going to be getting updated anytime soon. Apple wants to differentiate the lineups like the iphone lineup. The Airs will be a gen behind on the processor side. Look for the Pro Models to get the M4 chip soon after the Airs get updated to M3.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thank you again, guys! At this point I'm thinking about buying a 16/512 one pretty much at any time, maybe even before Black Friday.

The reason is that my situation is a bit complicated. I want a starlight - do NOT want a midnight blue as it doesn't attract me aesthetically and I'm not keen on the fingerprint magnet aspect, plus it's not a color that will age well with scuffing etc.

Meanwhile the 16/512 that I've seen on sale at a discount is usually a midnight blue :(... so it may be that I won't be able to get a starlight below the full price.

The other complication is that I have about $700 in Apple credits from trade-ins that I could use, which suggests that I should just BTO the thing from Apple which I can do at any time. Now, I'm not desperate to use the $700 credit if there's a great deal out there, because I intend to buy the updated iPP 11" next year to replace my faulty Air 3, so I can use the credits then.

So my plan right now is to leisurely look around to see if there are any amazing *starlight 16/512* deals out there, but I don't have high hopes. I considered buying refurbs from Apple, but I've had a bad experience with that years and years ago, and I'm spooked to this day, so I kinda want to buy new. I won't be looking around too long, because I don't think the odds are particularly good for my "want", so I'll probably buy within the next couple of weeks.

Anyhow that's update on my plans and hope to hold a 15" in my hands soon!

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
Thank you again, guys! At this point I'm thinking about buying a 16/512 one pretty much at any time, maybe even before Black Friday.

The reason is that my situation is a bit complicated. I want a starlight - do NOT want a midnight blue as it doesn't attract me aesthetically and I'm not keen on the fingerprint magnet aspect, plus it's not a color that will age well with scuffing etc.

Meanwhile the 16/512 that I've seen on sale at a discount is usually a midnight blue :(... so it may be that I won't be able to get a starlight below the full price.

The other complication is that I have about $700 in Apple credits from trade-ins that I could use, which suggests that I should just BTO the thing from Apple which I can do at any time. Now, I'm not desperate to use the $700 credit if there's a great deal out there, because I intend to buy the updated iPP 11" next year to replace my faulty Air 3, so I can use the credits then.

So my plan right now is to leisurely look around to see if there are any amazing *starlight 16/512* deals out there, but I don't have high hopes. I considered buying refurbs from Apple, but I've had a bad experience with that years and years ago, and I'm spooked to this day, so I kinda want to buy new. I won't be looking around too long, because I don't think the odds are particularly good for my "want", so I'll probably buy within the next couple of weeks.

Not sure where you live but I picked up a basically brand new 15 inch midnight air on Kijiji for $950 CAD. I think people are going low on the price because these 15 inch versions are not selling well. Just an idea for you. I also saw a lot of brand new sealed ones for very cheap.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I'm in California, so there's also the sales tax of some 10%, but yeah, the only discounts I've seen are midnights, which is not something I think I can live with (hey, everyone has their own taste, he, he).

I'll look around, but in the end, I intend to keep the 15" for many years, so when you think about it, the $200-$300 is not going to be as much of a big deal when you spread it out over all those years. Not that I would turn down a great deal :)

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
You are all so right, and thank you Saturn007 for righting it out so clearly. Now that I see what you guys are saying in black and white, I feel silly for even thinking of waiting - it seems my wishlist is pure wishful thinking and completely unrealistic.

And it seems logical that they wouldn't even give it a chipset bump to M3 anytime soon, maybe June 2024. The only reason they *might* do so earlier is if sales are below where they hoped for and they figured "we can't let these low sales drag on for another 8 months, so we'll juice it with M3 (and some colors?!) and transition the whole lineup to a consistent M3 and save on scale - OK, February 2024". Except, wouldn't they do it at the last event and have Black Friday, Holiday Season and another 2 months of sales? Or maybe too many current owners of the 15" would get annoyed? Who knows.

In any case, I'm buying 16/512 Black Friday!
For one onscreen gain I’d get the new m3 for sure (14”)

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Got the 15 inch air M2; handles everything I throw at it.. blazing fast. I have some lust for those new Pros but the reality of it is - it's my personal laptop - I am not a video editor, media manager, creator of any kind. I use it to surf the web, send emails, watch hockey games, stream YouTube, invest/trade shares.. but that's really it.

I love it - buy one

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
All these folks saying they have an M2 and won’t be upgrading. Lol, no durr. I have an M1 and probably won’t be upgrading. M4 maybe?

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
Here are some things that would make me wait - any two of the following: OLED screen, 16/512 base for same price as today's 8/256 ($1500), one more thunderbolt/usb 4 port on the other side, 2 more hours of battery life, 0.3lbs lighter, back to sloping keyboard, more color choices (and no fingerprint magnets).

What is your best guessa? TIA!

After the Scary fast event, I think it's safe to say that the base M3 MacBook Air will most probably still have a 8/256 configuration. I would also be very surprised if OLED screens make an appearance too. The base M3 chip seems to give a somewhat good boost in performance over the M2 and it also has a better GPU with ray tracing. So I think the only thing you have to take in consideration is solely the difference between the M2 and the M3 chip. Casing and weight should be about the same as the M2 offering. If the improvements of the M3 chip are compelling to you and you can wait, then wait for it. If not, get the M2 now.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
After the Scary fast event, I think it's safe to say that the base M3 MacBook Air will most probably still have a 8/256 configuration. I would also be very surprised if OLED screens make an appearance too. The base M3 chip seems to give a somewhat good boost in performance over the M2 and it also has a better GPU with ray tracing. So I think the only thing you have to take in consideration is solely the difference between the M2 and the M3 chip. Casing and weight should be about the same as the M2 offering. If the improvements of the M3 chip are compelling to you and you can wait, then wait for it. If not, get the M2 now.
To be honest, I have no desire to wait a long time for so little, i.e. only a m2 to m3 upgrade.

*IF* I were to think about alternatives it would maybe at best be the 14" Macbook Pro, as for the same configuration 16/512, it's only $100 more. It does have the m3, a better screen, and longer battery life, but it has a worse form factor, chunkier and slightly heavier, plus only comes in silver and space gray, not my faves. In the end, I think it's the 16/512 starlight 15" m2 for me.

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
To be honest, I have no desire to wait a long time for so little, i.e. only a m2 to m3 upgrade.

*IF* I were to think about alternatives it would maybe at best be the 14" Macbook Pro, as for the same configuration 16/512, it's only $100 more. It does have the m3, a better screen, and longer battery life, but it has a worse form factor, chunkier and slightly heavier, plus only comes in silver and space gray, not my faves. In the end, I think it's the 16/512 starlight 15" m2 for me.
Then go for it. I took the plunge and bought a M2 13" air after the Scary fast event. I had the same reasoning as you (though, after 10 years carrying a 15" laptop, I really wanted something much smaller and lighter). My 13" M2 air is faster than my M1 Max Studio at launching apps and for single thread operations during bursts of five minutes of less. GF is jealous because it's much lighter than her 14" M1 Pro. With the 16/512 configuration, the M2 air will surely be a great machine for many years to come. Your are also right about color options. I got tired of silver or pace grey as well. I got midnight, but starlight looks great too!

Reactions: helloapple1

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Then go for it. I took the plunge and bought a M2 13" air after the Scary fast event. I had the same reasoning as you (though, after 10 years carrying a 15" laptop, I really wanted something much smaller and lighter). My 13" M2 air is faster than my M1 Max Studio at launching apps and for single thread operations during bursts of five minutes of less. GF is jealous because it's much lighter than her 14" M1 Pro. With the 16/512 configuration, the M2 air will surely be a great machine for many years to come. Your are also right about color options. I got tired of silver or pace grey as well. I got midnight, but starlight looks great too!
Same combo - M1M Studio and M2 Air. Wonderful isn't it?

Reactions: Baseiseough

foxtictac

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023

I'm in the same boat right now. Went to the Apple Store to look at the MBA and the MBPs together. I was actually considering getting a previous generation MBP M2 Pro as they are discounted at the moment and they are still seemingly a better computer than the base-level MBP M3. So do take a look at that one as well.

In terms of the MBA, looking at the MBP updates, I think it's safe to say that Saturn007 is right and the next gen MBA will be a minor upgrade to M3, maybe slightly better battery life and not much else. I was also going to wait (because I'm not in dire need), but it doesn't look like it's necessarily worth it, especially if you can get a current MBA/last-gen Pro at a discount.

My main issue is what to choose between the two form factors. I'm used to my light MBA, but mine is from 2018 which means I'm used to carrying my charger wherever I go. If I don't need to do that anymore and just charge it at home, that means that a MBP (sans charger) won't really feel any heavier or bigger in my bag.
On the other hand, this won't be my main machine. 90% of the time I work on my 27" iMac at home which is far preferable to me. This MacBook is only used when I'm visiting a client, going on holiday, visiting my parents, or maybe watching a movie in bed which happens very rarely. Reading this, I feel like the Air should be the obvious choice.
On the other hand, if I can get a much better machine (the MBP M2 Pro) for basically the same price as an upgraded MBA 16/512 then maybe I should. It would be far more future proof than an M2 Air, I think.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I'm in the same boat right now. Went to the Apple Store to look at the MBA and the MBPs together. I was actually considering getting a previous generation MBP M2 Pro as they are discounted at the moment and they are still seemingly a better computer than the base-level MBP M3. So do take a look at that one as well.

In terms of the MBA, looking at the MBP updates, I think it's safe to say that Saturn007 is right and the next gen MBA will be a minor upgrade to M3, maybe slightly better battery life and not much else. I was also going to wait (because I'm not in dire need), but it doesn't look like it's necessarily worth it, especially if you can get a current MBA/last-gen Pro at a discount.

My main issue is what to choose between the two form factors. I'm used to my light MBA, but mine is from 2018 which means I'm used to carrying my charger wherever I go. If I don't need to do that anymore and just charge it at home, that means that a MBP (sans charger) won't really feel any heavier or bigger in my bag.
On the other hand, this won't be my main machine. 90% of the time I work on my 27" iMac at home which is far preferable to me. This MacBook is only used when I'm visiting a client, going on holiday, visiting my parents, or maybe watching a movie in bed which happens very rarely. Reading this, I feel like the Air should be the obvious choice.
On the other hand, if I can get a much better machine (the MBP M2 Pro) for basically the same price as an upgraded MBA 16/512 then maybe I should. It would be far more future proof than an M2 Air, I think.
If you don’t need the power of a Pro I think that the MBA is the best choice. My only machine is an MBA M1 which I connect to an Apple Display while at home and it is just great, it doesn't make me miss my old 27" iMac. Now I would like to upgrade it with more ram and ssd but, since I am not in an excessive hurry, I prefer to wait for the M3 and not purchase an “older” chip especially now that m3s are on the shelves.

foxtictac

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023
If you don’t need the power of a Pro I think that the MBA is the best choice. My only machine is an MBA M1 which I connect to an Apple Display while at home and it is just great, it doesn't make me miss my old 27" iMac. Now I would like to upgrade it with more ram and ssd but, since I am not in an excessive hurry, I prefer to wait for the M3 and not purchase an “older” chip especially now that m3s are on the shelves.
I definitely don't need it right now. But I tend to hang on to MacBooks for 5-6 years and I feel like a Pro would probably last me that long, no issues (especially the Pro version of the chip). While my Intel MBA started feeling slow about 1,5-2 years already. Sure, you could argue that the M series won't have the same issues, but who's to say what Apple will do in the future in terms of Mac OS.
Also, a Pro gets me the better screen, which may or may not end up in the MBA at some point in the next ~2 years, but if it does, I'll still have the latest gen, while buying the current MBA will feel even more outdated when that happens. Does that make sense?

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
I definitely don't need it right now. But I tend to hang on to MacBooks for 5-6 years and I feel like a Pro would probably last me that long, no issues (especially the Pro version of the chip). While my Intel MBA started feeling slow about 1,5-2 years already. Sure, you could argue that the M series won't have the same issues, but who's to say what Apple will do in the future in terms of Mac OS.
Also, a Pro gets me the better screen, which may or may not end up in the MBA at some point in the next ~2 years, but if it does, I'll still have the latest gen, while buying the current MBA will feel even more outdated when that happens. Does that make sense?
You're right, with the M-series everything has really changed...the Air has become a "real" powerful computer. Anyway, it all depends on your priorities. I too am undecided between Pro 14” and the coming (I imagine by next Spring or Summer…) M3 Air 13" but, in the end, I prefer the latter because my priority goes to portability also because when I am at home I connect it to the studio display. If the screen and ports are important to you the question may be different. On longevity, I don't think there is any difference in case you don't need the greater power of the Pro.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you everybody! My love to you all - this is a great community!

You convinced me. I'm buying the current MBA 15" M2, and I'm not worried about FOMO.

My only fear now is that I'll get a defective unit, and I want a BTO 16/512. Recently I've had bad luck with Apple products, three in a row (bad battery iPhone, bad keyboard MBP 13" M1, poor screen touch response on iPad Air 3). All bought new, all failed eventually. In the past I was lucky with Apple products, but recently I had three in a row bad ones, so I'm a bit spooked.

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!

I bought the M2 Air (13 inch) when it first came out and can't recommend the M2 airs enough. They are SO much more powerful than people realize. You'll really enjoy it.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
From the way Apple is lining up their other product lines, we may not even see the M3 in the Air line up until late 2024.

Judging by the fact that the M3 equipped Mac’s come with the older MacOS suggests they were ready before Sonoma launched, which also means they were intentionally held back.

This could be for a few reasons, but I expect the driving force for this is because Apple made the decision to bring M2 to the 15” Air and launch M3 in the MBP… this is an ideal situation both for the consumer and Apple.

Previously there was literally ‘zero’ reason to go with the M2 equipped MacBook Pro with Touch Bar other than a very slight sustained performance due to the fan design, now though there is a true separation of the Air and the base Pro, the Air is thin and light but in the MBP you get a better screen, more ports, better speakers, fan design and a better chip. It is clear that Apple is trying to separate the Mac line up with what they have done with the M3 Pro and Max chips, they are wanting to give consumers a reason to upgrade to a better model which ultimately earns them more $$$.

Previously not many people opted for the M2 Max because the M2 Pro was nearly as good.

Hardly anyone bought the MacBook Pro Touch Bar because there was literally nothing improved over the MBA apart from a slightly improved sustained performance.

With this in mind I seriously would not be surprised if we don’t see M3 hit the Air line up until late 2024, although with how long in the tooth the 13” Air is right now I expect to see the M3 Air at WWDC, as I feel that the first quarter of 2024 is going to be primarily focused on Vision Pro

Reactions: the future

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
From the way Apple is lining up their other product lines, we may not even see the M3 in the Air line up until late 2024.

Judging by the fact that the M3 equipped Mac’s come with the older MacOS suggests they were ready before Sonoma launched, which also means they were intentionally held back.

This could be for a few reasons, but I expect the driving force for this is because Apple made the decision to bring M2 to the 15” Air and launch M3 in the MBP… this is an ideal situation both for the consumer and Apple.

Previously there was literally ‘zero’ reason to go with the M2 equipped MacBook Pro with Touch Bar other than a very slight sustained performance due to the fan design, now though there is a true separation of the Air and the base Pro, the Air is thin and light but in the MBP you get a better screen, more ports, better speakers, fan design and a better chip. It is clear that Apple is trying to separate the Mac line up with what they have done with the M3 Pro and Max chips, they are wanting to give consumers a reason to upgrade to a better model which ultimately earns them more $$$.

Previously not many people opted for the M2 Max because the M2 Pro was nearly as good.

Hardly anyone bought the MacBook Pro Touch Bar because there was literally nothing improved over the MBA apart from a slightly improved sustained performance.

With this in mind I seriously would not be surprised if we don’t see M3 hit the Air line up until late 2024, although with how long in the tooth the 13” Air is right now I expect to see the M3 Air at WWDC, as I feel that the first quarter of 2024 is going to be primarily focused on Vision Pro
I (like most worldwide commenters and the editorial staff of MacRumors itself) disagree. The MBAs are the most successful product in the Mac line and we will certainly not wait more than another year (the 13" would be 2 1/2 years old...). The MBA M3s will be quietly released next Spring-Summer, and that will be enough to differentiate them even temporally from the newly released pro line anyway.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Got the 15 inch air M2; handles everything I throw at it.. blazing fast. I have some lust for those new Pros but the reality of it is - it's my personal laptop - I am not a video editor, media manager, creator of any kind. I use it to surf the web, send emails, watch hockey games, stream YouTube, invest/trade shares.. but that's really it.

I love it - buy one
Have you played around with the Pros in person? They are legit tanks, I was immediately put off.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I (like most worldwide commenters and the editorial staff of MacRumors itself) disagree. The MBAs are the most successful product in the Mac line and we will certainly not wait more than another year (the 13" would be 2 1/2 years old...). The MBA M3s will be quietly released next Spring-Summer, and that will be enough to differentiate them even temporally from the newly released pro line anyway.
The iPad Air is likely the most successful product in the iPad line up but yet it’s still rocking M1 even though M3 is now out.

The iMac is the worlds best selling all in one (according to Apple) yet they skipped a generation on that machine.

The reason the MBA is successful is because it’s cheap, and to keep it cheap it will always trail behind the MacBook Pros going forward. How far it will trail behind is yet to be seen, but Apple made a conscious decision at WWDC to hold back the Air line up, the M3 chip was pretty much ready to ship at that point based off the fact the new M3 MBP is shipping with Ventura, they could have easily launched M3 in it but they chose not to, failing that they could have even waited 3 months and launched the M3 Airs together at the scary fast event, but they didn’t, this is clear evidence that Apple are holding back the MacBook Air purposely.

Do regular MBA users need M3? no they don’t, as long as it can do what they need it to do they’re happy.

Do the majority of MacBook Air users care if their MacBook Air has M3? no they don’t, they are mainly concerned on whether it’s the most recent one.

Does Apple think MacBook Air users need M3 as soon as possible? I doubt it, Apple don’t even think Pro users need at least the M3 Pro anymore.

In apples eyes they refreshed the MacBook Air 4 months ago when the 15” released, they gave something new to that demographic and with an average refresh cycle of approx. 450 days, we still have a good 300 days before a refresh is starting to become overdue.

The reason why the MacBook Air was refreshed quickly during the Intel days is because they were simply inefficient and quickly struggled in performance, Apple silicon has completely changed the game now. These generations of chips are great purchases years after launch, there are even people recommending still buying M1 generation products over M2/M3 products even though some of those products are 3 years old at this point.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
The iPad Air is likely the most successful product in the iPad line up but yet it’s still rocking M1 even though M3 is now out.

The iMac is the worlds best selling all in one (according to Apple) yet they skipped a generation on that machine.

The reason the MBA is successful is because it’s cheap, and to keep it cheap it will always trail behind the MacBook Pros going forward. How far it will trail behind is yet to be seen, but Apple made a conscious decision at WWDC to hold back the Air line up, the M3 chip was pretty much ready to ship at that point based off the fact the new M3 MBP is shipping with Ventura, they could have easily launched M3 in it but they chose not to, failing that they could have even waited 3 months and launched the M3 Airs together at the scary fast event, but they didn’t, this is clear evidence that Apple are holding back the MacBook Air purposely.

Do regular MBA users need M3? no they don’t, as long as it can do what they need it to do they’re happy.

Do the majority of MacBook Air users care if their MacBook Air has M3? no they don’t, they are mainly concerned on whether it’s the most recent one.

Does Apple think MacBook Air users need M3 as soon as possible? I doubt it, Apple don’t even think Pro users need at least the M3 Pro anymore.

In apples eyes they refreshed the MacBook Air 4 months ago when the 15” released, they gave something new to that demographic and with an average refresh cycle of approx. 450 days, we still have a good 300 days before a refresh is starting to become overdue.

The reason why the MacBook Air was refreshed quickly during the Intel days is because they were simply inefficient and quickly struggled in performance, Apple silicon has completely changed the game now. These generations of chips are great purchases years after launch, there are even people recommending still buying M1 generation products over M2/M3 products even though some of those products are 3 years old at this point.
Apple has not updated the Airs for 2 reasons and that is that the 15" came out just a few months ago and mainly because it does not have enough M3 chips. Your point about M-series processors that you say can be purchased many years after their release applies to potentially all products (even the Pros or iPhones) and therefore would make no business sense for Apple. As of the iPad‘s market it is a very little niche in terms of sales. The MacBook Airs will be released not later (maybe earlier) then next WWDC. At that time the M2 will be 2 years old and too many customers will be holding on waiting for the M3. Apple in these (several) months will try to sell as many of the Pros as possible even to those who would be happy with the Air but want the new processor but it certainly will not go beyond June (perhaps Spring) to upgrade the Airs. For those who are not in a hurry (of course) I do not recommend buying an M2 Air at full price today but only at a good deal. Alternatively, it is better to wait a few more months (since the M2 it is now a year and a half old and the M3s are on the shelves). In fact even on the buyers guide of this same site the 13" is not recommended today. Of course, if then the primary goal is to spend as little as possible then even an M1 is still fine (it is in fact my main computer) and very reasonably priced but certainly this is not Apple's goal.

Last edited:

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022

So my plan right now is to leisurely look around to see if there are any amazing *starlight 16/512* deals out there, but I don't have high hopes.

I saw you lived in Cali, if you have a friend with either a Costco or Sams Club membership, see if they will take you to look. They usually have some great deals, but you are limited to what they stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.