Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
The cheapest one in the Argos catalogue. Loads of iPod Mini’s appeared at school after the 2nd Gen was released, sods law a month after my birthday (That 3 disc CD changer was looked at with contempt!) I wouldn’t have been able to save up for a Mini any quicker, so I had to ask for one for Christmas and bought the stopgap MP3 with my pocket money. Of course Apple had other ideas and killed it 7 months later, so I only got to own a used one in 2012. I loved it, but put it away somewhere as the battery sucked. I figure I’ve nothing to lose by attempting a mod, if only I could find it.

I wish Apple had released one last clickwheel iPod in a range of colours. Nearly got the 5th Gen Nano, but chose the Touch over it not knowing that I would have an iPhone 4 before the year was out.

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021

A neat piece of kit.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
The very first mp3 player i ever got was the Archos AV340. Those PMP's were way ahead of it's time even by apple standards, I remember my roomate having the ipod classic with a black and white screen that could play videos meanwhile my Archos could play all kinds of music formats and watch all sorts of video formats from that time period. I was loyal to Archos until apple started taking over, but I do miss the fact that back in 2004 you could expand your hard drive super easily since they used 2.5mm laptop drives at the time.

The crazy bit about this device was the fact you could record video and audio through their dongle that connected it to whatever AV enabled device you could think of.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
First standalone MP3 player was some Sandisk model (the same company that makes SD cards).
I would imagine like many here, I ended up getting an iPod with that capacitive scroll wheel. It's been my main device up until it got stolen many years back. I've since bought a replacement iPod Classic, but have yet to load up music on it (I guess iTunes still works on windows 10, but should look into alternatives. I don't travel much and lazy-is-me, so I just turn on Sirius XM radio.

First MP3 player, period, would be a springboard module for the Handspring Visor line of PDAs...

DifferentThinker

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
Australia
Pretty sure I had something like this lying around for several years, no idea where it went, all I remember is that it had 128MB of storage.
s-l1600[1].jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: addamas

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Original 10GB iPod brick. Still got it around here somewhere. If I could get it to power up anymore, its got an image of either Leopard or Snow Leopard on it. Last time it was in use was my firewire 'recovery disk' for my G4 and 1st gen Mac Pro heh.

Reactions: iPode

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 3.18.31 PM.png

Like many others listed here, had meager storage, chewed through AAA batteries like crazy, and came with absolute garbage headphones.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The iPod Touch was the last dedicated music player in Apple's lineup. You already have many subscriptions. You have thousands of MP3s. Can still find used models out there.
How the times have changed indeed! I've known some who got YouTube Premium for the YouTube Music part of it! :oops: Me, I'm in it for the ad-free YouTube viewing. I also have Sirius XM for my car (it's gotta be discounted. If it's not, I'm not paying $340 per year for it, despite how nice it is).

That said, I still have my iPod Classic around if need be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.