Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The Rio. I hated it. Putting music on it always seemed to be such drama, and the chips wouldn't hold that much music. When it did work, it was pretty good. I still have it somewhere around here. I also have a Nomad that I bought, and then got an iPod and never actually used it. I know, right...

I don't think there's much of a market for these old fossils, so I keep them in a drawer. Can't get new chips for them now, I don't think. I doubt they would support the larger chips that I could find now anyway.

I had several tape based Walkman players, but I really don't think they classify as 'MP3 players'. I do have a thin Sony Walkman FM radio that is cooler than the day I bought it. It takes 2 AAA batteries, and is waterproof. But anyway...

Rio_pmp300.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mmttu

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
I had a Creative Zen Microphoto. A whole whopping 8GB! I loved it at the time. I wish I wasn't anti-Apple at that time and been more open to the iPod.

pdt_14107.jpg

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
A 5th generation iPod nano that I purchased in early 2010. Until then I was using CDs in a cheap CD player with the bundled headphones.

I still remember spending all evening installing iTunes and ripping my very small collection of CDs and marveling at the animations, user interface, and easy of synching, even on a $199 HP Compaq laptop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.57.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 9.57.47 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 133

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A 5th generation iPod nano that I purchased in early 2010. Until then I was using CDs in a cheap CD player with the bundled headphones.

I still remember spending all evening installing iTunes and ripping my very small collection of CDs and marveling at the animations, user interface, and easy of synching, even on a $199 HP Compaq laptop.

That was a gorgeous device, easy to use, stunning in appearance (and design) and ultra portable.

Reactions: Arran and Traverse

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I found the Rio player, and the Nomad II that essentially has never been used, both huddling in a box, depressed and useless?:cool:. The Nomad still in the factory pouch, and has the headphone wired remote, but alas, no factory earbuds.

I am bummed I returned the first gen iPod I bought. I couldn't see the physically rotating disc lasting long enough to make that a player I wanted to be stuck with. I should have kept it, danggit... BTW: How long did that spinning disc last for people that bought one? Curious how many failed...

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The Reo. I hated it. Putting music on it always seemed to be such drama, and the chips wouldn't hold that much music. When it did work, it was pretty good. I still have it somewhere around here. I also have a Nomad that I bought, and then got an iPod and never actually used it. I know, right...

I don't think there's much of a market for these old fossils, so I keep them in a drawer. Can't get new chips for them now, I don't think. I doubt they would support the larger chips that I could find now anyway.

I had several tape based Walkman players, but I really don't think they classify as 'MP3 players'. I do have a thin Sony Walkman FM radio that is cooler than the day I bought it. It takes 2 AAA batteries, and is waterproof. But anyway...

View attachment 1754191
I think those used Parallel port to transfer data.... :D

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think those used Parallel port to transfer data.... :D

Yes it did. It had a proprietary parallel to Rio port adapter, but at the time, it was 'cutting edge', and, judging by the amount of time they spent in engineering and building it, they didn't think it would survive. The case was known to crack, and shatter. You *could* also load files onto the Compact Flash chip (slab?)... I honestly don't remember using it much. I think I have a slab or two around. I might try to use it, one last (first) time. It was prehistoric, but it was all the industry had at the time I believe...

EDIT: Did it spark the iPod's wheel control? Hmm...

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
I think my first mp3 player was the 3rd Generation iPod Nano. I think it was either the red or the black one but I'm pretty sure the black square ipod nano was my first mp3 player, then I was gifted the red iPod nano. I used my iPod nano relentlessly throughout middle school until I got my first iPhone in high school as a sophomore which I then was able to listen to music through my phone. I loved my iPod Nano so much that I practically wore it out from listening to music too much! :)

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
P10812574a.jpg

This is mine and still with me through the years. Sad to say it is just 2GB so I can only keep less than 2hundred of songs.
I actually have this — the 4th generation iPod shuffle though. A funny story: I was talking with my mother a few months ago about how I liked the old ipods where they were just simple and easy and nothing fancy. I told her about how I liked the apple shuffle and then all of a sudden she walked away for a minute and came back with the 4th generation iPod shuffle in pink. She told me that my Father had gifted this to her for Christmas a few years ago when this came out and my Mother actually never took it out of the box, so it's basically still brand new and still works! She gave it to me to use for my workouts. Since she gave it to me, I've been trying to figure out how to load a few songs on the iPod shuffle, but my computer doesn't recognize the iPod shuffle as an iPod since it's an old device. But I just thought it was funny that she still had it. Still would like to use this for my workouts or while I'm doing my errands around my apartment, Just can't figure out how to get it to work on my computer!

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I actually have this — the 4th generation iPod shuffle though. A funny story: I was talking with my mother a few months ago about how I liked the old ipods where they were just simple and easy and nothing fancy. I told her about how I liked the apple shuffle and then all of a sudden she walked away for a minute and came back with the 4th generation iPod shuffle in pink. She told me that my Father had gifted this to her for Christmas a few years ago when this came out and my Mother actually never took it out of the box, so it's basically still brand new and still works! She gave it to me to use for my workouts. Since she gave it to me, I've been trying to figure out how to load a few songs on the iPod shuffle, but my computer doesn't recognize the iPod shuffle as an iPod since it's an old device. But I just thought it was funny that she still had it. Still would like to use this for my workouts or while I'm doing my errands around my apartment, Just can't figure out how to get it to work on my computer!
Did you look for the device in the Finder? What version of Mac OS are you running? Even an original iPod from 2001 is recognized on the latest Macs using the correct adapters.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
This post is making me nostalgic, so I'm just going to reminisce a little bit

I remember the Summer of 2005, I had a choice between a PSP and an iPod Mini for my birthday. I wanted an iPod simply for the cool factor, then I realized how boring it would be in the long run. I went with the PSP and never looked at an iPod ever again. Eventually after a couple of years I grew out of the PSP. That's when I got my first proper MP3 player which was a ZUNE! The white Zune which was gorgeous. I believe that was in late 2006. I still have it in mint condition. I loved it! I had Zune Pass which was $15 a month. It really was ahead of it's time. I upgraded to the Zune 80 in 2008 and I used that until 2012 when I got my first iPhone, the 4S. I parted ways with my PSP and Zune 80. I held onto my 4S and my white Zune. I'll never get rid of those.

jpg.jpeg

127858-zuneDevice_b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Feyl

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My first MP3 player was actually an accident. What I bought was a camera (a 2.4MP camera!) and it had an MP3 player built in. I really liked Fujifilm point and shoots in that era, but man did I think the whole MP3 thing was stupid. They sounded horrible! Why would anyone give up sound quality when portable CD players were so compact? I was sure that MP3 was going to be a fad until iPod came around and the idea of carrying thousands of songs on a little device really did make it more convenient.

1619255371033.png

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
My first MP3 player was actually an accident. What I bought was a camera (a 2.4MP camera!) and it had an MP3 player built in. I really liked Fujifilm point and shoots in that era, but man did I think the whole MP3 thing was stupid. They sounded horrible! Why would anyone give up sound quality when portable CD players were so compact? I was sure that MP3 was going to be a fad until iPod came around and the idea of carrying thousands of songs on a little device really did make it more convenient.

View attachment 1763078

I never knew someone had an MP3 player camera. Weird... I guess I can see the utility in it, but wow... Yeah, I thought MP3 would be a slow growth fad, but saw where it could have some popularity. And now, after the iPod, everything Apple, pretty much, plays MP3s. I thought the first iPod was a disaster, having that physically spinning disc for a control. I saw it as a 'dust magnet', and a problem when it got junked up. And yet the iPod ruled the world for quite a long time.

I get the audio deficiencies of the MP3 music files, but since at the time I was flying a lot, I didn't care. I plugged my Bose QC's into my iPod, and drowned out the screaming kids, and chatty seat mates. 100% fidelity, or even, what, 80% fidelity is kind of overkill. *shrug*

I loved the guy that tried to put 100% accurate files on an MP3 player. He got, what, 6? And it took them a lot of time to get that in it. Tradeoffs... So much of life is about tradeoffs...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This post is making me nostalgic, so I'm just going to reminisce a little bit

I remember the Summer of 2005, I had a choice between a PSP and an iPod Mini for my birthday. I wanted an iPod simply for the cool factor, then I realized how boring it would be in the long run. I went with the PSP and never looked at an iPod ever again. Eventually after a couple of years I grew out of the PSP. That's when I got my first proper MP3 player which was a ZUNE! The white Zune which was gorgeous. I believe that was in late 2006. I still have it in mint condition. I loved it! I had Zune Pass which was $15 a month. It really was ahead of it's time. I upgraded to the Zune 80 in 2008 and I used that until 2012 when I got my first iPhone, the 4S. I parted ways with my PSP and Zune 80. I held onto my 4S and my white Zune. I'll never get rid of those.

View attachment 1763066

View attachment 1763067

I have a pink Zune. Haven't plugged it in in years. Should probably sell it. At least it's not the brown one. I thought that was so funny. A brown Zune. As if it looks anything remotely like leather. Looks more like a... What it was... :oops:

Reactions: SamRyouji

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
My very first MP3 player is the 4th gen iPod Shuffle, silver with black pads. Ditched the earbuds right away and used my Senn CX200 because the sound quality is meh compared even to my cheap Senn.
Bought in late March 2012 and sold it 3 months later because I can't stand the staring eyes from people literally everywhere I'm out and about. Back then in my country Apple still considered as a huge status symbol. Now I deeply regretted my decision as it's now discontinued and the price of used one is the same as the new one back then ($49).
Ipod_Shuffe_-_1_The_outside.jpeg.jpg

Honorary item:
Brandless cylindrical mp3 player (the pink colored one) that I almost bought back on late 2011 for only $12. I almost bought it because of Persona 3 looking but cancelled it at last minute because I was very broke back then lol.
940852378643_m.png

SamRyouji

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
I have a pink Zune. Haven't plugged it in in years. Should probably sell it. At least it's not the brown one. I thought that was so funny. A brown Zune. As if it looks anything remotely like leather. Looks more like a... What it was... :oops:
Like that...brown emoji that people used to put after the ??
??

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
Did you look for the device in the Finder? What version of Mac OS are you running? Even an original iPod from 2001 is recognized on the latest Macs using the correct adapters.
I'm running on the latest version of Mac OS (big sur). The computer recognize the device, but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to add anything on it. Not sure what the issue is.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I'm running on the latest version of Mac OS (big sur). The computer recognize the device, but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to add anything on it. Not sure what the issue is.
Are either of these pages helpful?

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
15127900439_bbe23fca29_h_d.jpg

Here's mine. Nano 3rd gen from 06-07. The earbuds below is my first earbud with balanced armature drivers. I currently own an earbud with 5 balanced armatures per side and an iPod Touch 7th Gen :)

48477686262_787e842ba0_b_d.jpg

Reactions: Feyl and Traverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.