Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I never knew someone had an MP3 player camera. Weird... I guess I can see the utility in it, but wow... Yeah, I thought MP3 would be a slow growth fad, but saw where it could have some popularity. And now, after the iPod, everything Apple, pretty much, plays MP3s. I thought the first iPod was a disaster, having that physically spinning disc for a control. I saw it as a 'dust magnet', and a problem when it got junked up. And yet the iPod ruled the world for quite a long time.

I get the audio deficiencies of the MP3 music files, but since at the time I was flying a lot, I didn't care. I plugged my Bose QC's into my iPod, and drowned out the screaming kids, and chatty seat mates. 100% fidelity, or even, what, 80% fidelity is kind of overkill. *shrug*

I loved the guy that tried to put 100% accurate files on an MP3 player. He got, what, 6? And it took them a lot of time to get that in it. Tradeoffs... So much of life is about tradeoffs...

It kind of makes sense in some ways-- some of the most common uses of iPhone are probably the camera and music player, but now with the communications and more interactive display added in. At the time though, the small storage available on the storage cards just didn't quite deliver on the promise.

Travel is what sold me on the iPod, frankly. 1000 songs in your pocket, was compelling. The 40i though only had limited storage, so it probably held less than a CD (if you wanted room for photos) but with much less fidelity. I think iPod stepped up bit rate and made audio reproduction a priority whereas this Fujifilm camera probably did not and had storage measured in GB rather than MB. The benefits started to outweigh the drawbacks.

And it's just continued to get better from there, obviously.

As a point and shoot though, Fujifilm did a great job and then an even better job with the F700.

ChinaRye

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Washington, DC
The Compaq PA-1. Same size as a pager!
View attachment 1762520
Haha. That was my first MP3 player too. I still have it! If only I were willing to spend the money on the lightening to 3.5mm cable, I could hook up my APM to it...
8A3EB791-60DB-4190-AE58-C689EDC39B72.jpeg

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
Are either of these pages helpful?

I'll give this a try tonight or tomorrow. My weekends are becoming busier and busier! Work has me slammed right now with a bunch of events that they want me to take photos of, and we have a couple of graduations at work too (I work for a college as the solo graphic designer and photographer). Trying to take a break from being on the screens a little bit this weekend, but I'll definitely try and see if those links will help. If not, I'll share a screenshot of what my computer is telling me.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I had a cassette Walkman in the 90s then moved on to Discman, then moved to a mini disc Walkman, all the joys of copying music to that thing.

My first MP3 player before I started my Apple journey iPods, it was a Sony MS Walkman, it uses Sony's proprietary memory stick and I remember the memory stick I had holds only like 20 songs or something, it was a long time ago.
2006AF4293_jpg_l.jpg

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Creative JukeBox Zen, I remember someone had an iPod about the same time, and I remember saying "iPod that's rubbish, it will never take off!"

How wrong I was ?

jukebox_zen_1.jpg

I also still have my Jukebox Zen!

CPelletier

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Fort Worth, TX
The original iPod Video. I still have it though it's in pieces. I can't remember when it died but i had hoped that I could transfer music off it somehow and never got around to that.

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
A Dell DJ in September 2004. In January I had gone back to school (12th grade) after Christmas break and the person in the desk next to me had gotten one for Christmas. I had never seen an MP3 player before and was fascinated. I thought it was a minidisc player at first. I immediately wanted one. I started researching MP3 players right away and saw the iPod for the first time. I ended up buying the Dell DJ after going to college for its cheaper price. I watched for sales and found a package deal with the higher capacity model and an in line remote included. I remember rocking out to it on campus walking to class and at my on campus job (cleaning flower pots and watering plants in the botany lab- true story). My Dell DJ broke maybe 2 years later and was replaced with the iPod Video when that came out.
Wow look at that copycat!

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
A Dell DJ in September 2004. In January I had gone back to school (12th grade) after Christmas break and the person in the desk next to me had gotten one for Christmas. I had never seen an MP3 player before and was fascinated. I thought it was a minidisc player at first. I immediately wanted one. I started researching MP3 players right away and saw the iPod for the first time. I ended up buying the Dell DJ after going to college for its cheaper price. I watched for sales and found a package deal with the higher capacity model and an in line remote included. I remember rocking out to it on campus walking to class and at my on campus job (cleaning flower pots and watering plants in the botany lab- true story). My Dell DJ broke maybe 2 years later and was replaced with the iPod Video when that came out.
Same, I loved my Dell DJ, I did have a Zen Micro for a while inbetween

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Creative MuVo Sport C100.

It was actually great! 256MB built in and there is an SD card slot inside. I’m not sure what the max size it will accept is, but I remember saving up and purchaing a (quite expensive at the time) 512MB SD card. There is even some games on it, an FM tuner, and other extras.

Think I had dropped it a million times. Little scratched up but it still works no problem. Takes a AA I believe.

1620433881722.jpeg

• Wow

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Creative MuVo Sport C100.

It was actually great! 256MB built in and there is an SD card slot inside. I’m not sure what the max size it will accept is, but I remember saving up and purchasing a (quite expensive at the time) 512MB SD card. There is even some games on it, an FM tuner, and other extras.

Think I had dropped it a million times. Little scratched up but it still works no problem. Takes a AA I believe.

View attachment 1771597

Wow! I have not seen that one before. (I found a 64M Compact (NOT!!!) Flash card just this morning. First thing I thought of was 'Will it work in the Rio?', and then I could look like a really old imbecile. ???)

• Haha
Reactions: AppleTO

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had a cassette Walkman in the 90s then moved on to Discman, then moved to a mini disc Walkman, all the joys of copying music to that thing.

My first MP3 player before I started my Apple journey iPods, it was a Sony MS Walkman, it uses Sony's proprietary memory stick and I remember the memory stick I had holds only like 20 songs or something, it was a long time ago.
View attachment 1764031

I remember seeing one of these. I was envious...

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I was quite late to the MP3 game, my first MP3 player being a 4th Gen iPod (B&W), which along with my other iPods, I still have.

Prior to that my digital music needs were with MiniDisc. I even upgraded to Hi-MD, despite having an iPod by the time. But that was mainly because it, as with my normal MiniDisc system, offered me the ability to do impromptu recordings of the band I was a roadie for at the time.

I’m glad that I’m a bit of a hoarder, I still store some backups of the wife’s and mine information on MiniDisc, floppies and Zip. Best form of security, something hardly anyone would know what to do with these days ?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The Rio - i don't recall who made it. It was yellow plastic with a rubbery section and had a small amount of storage and an SD slot. Took two AAA batteries.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The Rio - i don't recall who made it. It was yellow plastic with a rubbery section and had a small amount of storage and an SD slot. Took two AAA batteries.

Mine was a fake silver color (plastic) to make me think it was 'real metal', and, well, it sucked.

Somehow I lost the parallel adapter to feed it. I remember having it, but must have left it attached to something (or buried it in the backyard?).

I had that, and a Nomad (II?) that I never used. I do remember having *something* on the massive(ly small) chip that fed the Rio. But, heck, I remember using 8-inch floppies with an early computer I used in early high school. 'SmartCard's, weren't very smart, but considering that they were the first, one of the first, flash memory cards, they rocked the world. Big (physical size)? Yes. Limited capacity? Yes. The only game in town for a few years? Yep...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.