Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tropical Depression Imelda is visiting Houston, Texas today, expecting 10-20” of rain. The good personal news is that my immediate location withstood 40” of rain with Harvey and did not flood (my immediate neighborhood), although a mile away homes did flood, after they decided to drain Lake Conroe (a HOUSTON water source) post storm. How ironic was that? :oops:

In June, I finally bit the bullet and purchased National Flood Insurance. At $400 a year better safe than sorry. Note, that takes 30 days to activate.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/weather/houston-weather-rain-forecast/index.html

Just curious, what weather app do you use? I’ve have The Weather Channel App, but I used to have a NOAA feed app, just Radar feed, no other features, no inapp purchases, can’t find that in the App Store anymore. I’m looking for something that provides projected storm tracks?

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Huntn. The Weather Channel is a great fashion show, but stretches their weather info way too far. Since the last ownership change they have have had an uncanny skill to be "on the ground " in the wrong place most of the time. LOL

A weather nut here, and still do use WC as one of many sources, but you can't bet the farm on the WC.

Huston is low with the gulf looking at a nice channel right into town, and It looks like the gulf is staying warm longer each year and that = more crazy rain.

Flood insurance @$400 looks like a good buy. Good luck. a2

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn. The Weather Channel is a great fashion show, but stretches their weather info way too far. Since the last ownership change they have have had an uncanny skill to be "on the ground " in the wrong place most of the time. LOL

A weather nut here, and still do use WC as one of many sources, but you can't bet the farm on the WC.

Huston is low with the gulf looking at a nice channel right into town, and It looks like the gulf is staying warm longer each year and that = more crazy rain.

Flood insurance @$400 looks like a good buy. Good luck. a2

The Weather Radar App looks good, but I want something that shows projected tracks like this, if this can be found in an app:

A2C67729-D233-4290-94A2-C57A647CDA3C.jpeg

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I like the NOAA website to be honest, The Weather Channel used to have a good one but it seems they removed it a while ago. I can't even find the "history" area anymore where they showed the track of previous storms.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I like the NOAA website to be honest, The Weather Channel used to have a good one but it seems they removed it a while ago. I can't even find the "history" area anymore where they showed the track of previous storms.
I looked at several “NOAA” apps, with free version, in-app purchases, and one with a subscription, I wanted no part of. Took a chance on a $3.99 app called Hurricane Tracker. It is not as polished as some of the other apps, but has a wealth of storm info and graphics.

I looked through the Weather Channel App in their storm tracking section, and they have a storm listed in the Pacific, but not this Depression in the Gulf.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I looked at several “NOAA” apps, with free version, in-app purchases, and one with a subscription, I wanted no part of. Took a chance on a $3.99 app called Hurricane Tracker. It is not as polished as some of the other apps, but has a wealth of storm info and graphics.

I looked through the Weather Channel App in their storm tracking section, and they have a storm listed in the Pacific, but not this Depression in the Gulf.

I just use the website, never actually used any apps :cool:

Lomax737

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2019
Tropical Depression Imelda is visiting Houston, Texas today, expecting 10-20” of rain. The good personal news is that my immediate location withstood 40” of rain with Harvey and did not flood (my immediate neighborhood), although a mile away homes did flood, after they decided to drain Lake Conroe (a HOUSTON water source) post storm. How ironic was that? :oops:

In June, I finally bit the bullet and purchased National Flood Insurance. At $400 a year better safe than sorry. Note, that takes 30 days to activate.

Just curious, what weather app do you use? I’ve have The Weather Channel App, but I used to have a NOAA feed app, just Radar feed, no other features, no inapp purchases, can’t find that in the App Store anymore. I’m looking for something that provides projected storm tracks?

I like « MyRadar » app that have à in app purchase to use for hurricane tracking and projected path.

It’s colourful and has also wind direction animation so that you can figure by yourself where the path of different items will end up.

Once I was looking at my app on a plane that was grounded and the pilot caught an eye and said my eye gives the same info has what he’s using.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And I thought yesterday was going to be the bad Imelda day, wrong! Last night and this morning through about 1pm Central Time were pretty hairy in the Houston area and places East. 20+ inches. The water was coming down, monsoon hard, such that the water was up to the curb in the street, because the water drainage in our neighborhood is inadequate for monsoon rains. Not enough drains into sewer system. House stayed dry, but there are reports some houses on the south side of the neighborhood got water in them.

I like « MyRadar » app that have à in app purchase to use for hurricane tracking and projected path.

It’s colourful and has also wind direction animation so that you can figure by yourself where the path of different items will end up.

Once I was looking at my app on a plane that was grounded and the pilot caught an eye and said my eye gives the same info has what he’s using.
I’ll check it out. I downloaded Weather Radar, and Hurricane Tracker provides a lot of info, including Tropical Depressions, so there was a lot of info about Imelda in it.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
late summer here has been warmer than expected.
the BIG event here is tomorrow it will break and become 10F degrees cooler. Likely for the rest of the year.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've gone through many weather apps over the years. Most of them do something I like, but none of them do all the things I like.

Currently, I just use the default Google weather app on my Pixel 3a for basic daily to 10-day forecasts. If I want radar information I get on my 'puter and go to weatherbug.com.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008

We use Weatherbug because it includes distance to fire and lightning strikes. At this point, I think Texas is just hosed.

Here’s to all our Texan’s safety.

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
Looks like storms moving north and coming apart. Hope Huntn was missed this time and flood insurance will be in effect next time around.

Do fear there will hits on Huston each summer from now on. Good luck all. a2

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like storms moving north and coming apart. Hope Huntn was missed this time and flood insurance will be in effect next time around.

Do fear there will hits on Huston each summer from now on. Good luck all. a2
Thanks! My flood insurance is already in effect, but did not need it. :)
[automerge]1569023856[/automerge]
We use Weatherbug because it includes distance to fire and lightning strikes. At this point, I think Texas is just hosed.

Here’s to all our Texan’s safety.
I’ll check it out for local weather. Does it include any storm tracking?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I rely on Weather Undergound, Ventusky and NoAA's National Hurricane Center online as I haven't found an app that works for me.

Unfortunately, our local weather channel on cable added all this unnecessary BS programming on week days now which renders their weather & traffic updates moot.

Reactions: a2jack

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Thanks! My flood insurance is already in effect, but did not need it. :)
[automerge]1569023856[/automerge]

I’ll check it out for local weather. Does it include any storm tracking?
Storm, fire, lightning and hurricane.

Reactions: Huntn

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Around here the Weather Channel & My Radar apps are good enough. The Weather Channel is marginally reliable for <= 24 hours out where My Radar is excellent for current weather.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Is there a high pressure system right by the East coast? Looks like all the current storms are being forced right up north and through Bermuda right now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there a high pressure system right by the East coast? Looks like all the current storms are being forced right up north and through Bermuda right now.
Yes, according to My Radar. Based on @Zenithal ’s comment I downloaded it and it has an impressive radar display covering the US, Mexico, Atlantic, Gulf, and Caribbean, with lots of filters on the display. Winds, temps, fronts, high pressure, etc. it’s a keeper.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Nestor dumping some rain and here and I believe we will get a decent amount of the winds here in the Tampa area. Kind of a weird storm, all the wind is shifted off to the right side of it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nestor dumping some rain and here and I believe we will get a decent amount of the winds here in the Tampa area. Kind of a weird storm, all the wind is shifted off to the right side of it.
I got an alert today, and maybe one yesterday on my weather app, about Nestor heading NE. When they are in the Gulf, that‘s a good direction for me (Live In HOUSTON). ;)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
high day time temperature today will be 70F here
tomorrow the high will be ~25F with 4" snow

of late we have been having large temperature swings as the storms roll through

lots of leaves still on the trees

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.