Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There are so many New England towns that are centered next to or on a river because the river provided transport and power in the past. You're usually in a valley with streets descending in altitude as you approach the river.

Our primary residence is actually a half mile from a major river but the elevation delta is 200 feet. Some cities have put up barriers along the river, that are quite high to diminish flood risk and this works well in two local cities but there are areas of poor drainage that flood and the locals just have to live with it until the water goes down. Sometimes there isn't the political will or power to fix neighborhood problems.

Given the history, I think that this may be recurring for towns and cities that are set up like this as it's hard to redo your town center and the states don't exactly have a ton of money to fix things or to move things.
When I’ve purchased a house, I’ve always considered flood planes or not so great feature, like a house in California that the backyard, 30’ from the house is a cliff as a reason not to buy it. 🤔 Anyway I also realized some time ago, that the 100 year flood plane is no longer something you can place a reasonable bet on. Thirty years ago or so, Parsons, West Va a town near where my mother grew up in West Virginia was completely engulfed by the Monongahelia River and has never recovered as the County seat.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Alaska 20 August, 2023: after all the whining by some believing in "human-caused climate change" folks... about July being the hottest month ever and ever, and how the sky was falling (two weeks with a few days of temperatures in the high 80s was all :) For the past two weeks the ambient temperatures in the interior of Alaska have been in the low to mid 40s F. at night, and from the 50s to low 60s during the day. It made it to 55 degrees yesterday during the day. It is the same today, and the forecast for tonight calls for 47 degrees F.

We had a relatively cool and rainy Spring and Summer, so the wildfire season arrived quite late to the interior of Alaska (by July through a few days in August). The smoke from wildfires dissipated about two three weeks ago as the rain and cool temperatures moved into the interior. Weather conditions have been similar to "some" past years. Also, it usually starts raining by the beginning of August, but it was late after a period of dry weather this year. As September and the hunting season nears, the weather seems to be similar to other years, or somewhat raining and cool at night, with clear days in between.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As summer draws to a close here in Boston Massachusetts, I can only say what an odd year this has been. June was generally in cool, so much so that I think we only had a couple of days that got out of the seventies.

This past July was 2nd most wettest Julys on record and we only had 1 day that broached the 90 degree mark

August has been mostly in the low seventies - quite odd to be sure.

Now I'm the person who likes cooler/colder weather so I'm not complaining but it has impacted crops, for instance the apple crop is like 60% less then prior years and there may be little to no apple picking this year - a fun activity for many families.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As summer draws to a close here in Boston Massachusetts, I can only say what an odd year this has been. June was generally in cool, so much so that I think we only had a couple of days that got out of the seventies.

This past July was 2nd most wettest Julys on record and we only had 1 day that broached the 90 degree mark

August has been mostly in the low seventies - quite odd to be sure.

Now I'm the person who likes cooler/colder weather so I'm not complaining but it has impacted crops, for instance the apple crop is like 60% less then prior years and there may be little to no apple picking this year - a fun activity for many families.
I envy the hell out of you and our friends who live in Minnesota… :) 104F yesterday here (Houston).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
104F yesterday here (Houston).
My daughter wants to move to Texas or Florida for the heat. At this point in my life I'm the polar opposite. Funnily enough back in the day when I was younger, I did enjoy the heat but it saps the life out of me. I've found new enjoyment with cool and cold weather. I'd much rather go camping in December then July.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My daughter wants to move to Texas or Florida for the heat. At this point in my life I'm the polar opposite. Funnily enough back in the day when I was younger, I did enjoy the heat but it saps the life out of me. I've found new enjoyment with cool and cold weather. I'd much rather go camping in December then July.
There can be too much of a good thing? A friend from Minnesota self described sun worshiper came down to visit during the summer, we hit the beach, she lasted about 45 minutes in the sun. :oops:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Wildfire Smoke in New England. I guess the weather for it would be hot and dry. We started the summer with wildfires in Nova Scotia. Then Alberta and Quebec. And now we have British Columbia, Northern Territories and the Pacific Northwest. The AQI is over 50 today. I went out for a short run and it felt oppressive so I checked the AQI and I was surprised at how high it was as we've had respite of about a week. I'm glad that Canada has their wildfires under control, at least in the eastern provinces. The poor folks in YellowKnife though are probably in bad shape after evacuating as they don't know what they will find when they return.

In NH, we've had a lot of rain. Our reservoirs are higher than I've ever seen them. We've had flooding in some parts of the state and flooding that made the national news in Vermont. Between rain, and wildfires, it hasn't been great for running outside this summer.

The rain has also resulted in high e coli levels in a lot of lakes so that they had to be closed to swimming. We had a lot of people coming from Massachusetts to our beaches as well because their beaches were crowded. Beach towns have responded by seriously cranking up parking fees - rationing by price as it were. The towns have also had trouble recruiting enough officers because our unemployment rate is 1.7% and it's hard to get people to move here for work as there's a severe housing shortage.

I'm looking forward to fall and hopefully the wildfires would be over; certainly by winter.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 12.35.10 PM.png

• Sad

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We had the perfect chance for a drenching (in Houston) , a tropical storm zipped across the Gulf of Mexico, hit Southern Texas and Mexico and kept going West. Normally a storm like this after land fall would vear north and then NE. That’s because of the abominable high has been parked over the central southern US for over a month blocked it as it skirted around it to the South. 😞

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We had the perfect chance for a drenching (in Houston) , a tropical storm zipped across the Gulf of Mexico, hit Southern Texas and Mexico and kept going West. Normally a storm like this after land fall would vear north and then NE. That’s because of the abominable high has been parked over the central southern US for over a month blocked it as it skirted around it to the South. 😞

Did you want the rain?

If we're in drought, I don't mind getting drenched - short-term pain, long-term gain.

New England and the PNW are apparently in good shape for a week avoiding the extreme heat in most of the rest of the country. I'm running outside more instead of on the treadmill. It's not humid, 50s at night and sunny during the day. This is actually fall weather and I love fall in New England. Most people like it a little warmer in the 80s and we're in the 70s during the day right now.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Did you want the rain?

If we're in drought, I don't mind getting drenched - short-term pain, long-term gain.

New England and the PNW are apparently in good shape for a week avoiding the extreme heat in most of the rest of the country. I'm running outside more instead of on the treadmill. It's not humid, 50s at night and sunny during the day. This is actually fall weather and I love fall in New England. Most people like it a little warmer in the 80s and we're in the 70s during the day right now.
Desperately…wanted it.

Reactions: pshufd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.