Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
It’s 44F outside and we are huddled in our house, like we are in a cabin out in the back woods and it’s -10F. :) ❄️
Nice and warm. Just reached 30° F after being in the teens. Thursday was 61° F, dropped to 25 ° F overnight and then a foot of snow on Friday. Neat weather.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Finally thawing out. Last week we had several days of single digits/low teens with the feels like in the negative teens.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought from another thread:
Countries where the season of high summer means that it is already 28C at six o'clock in the morning.

Since June we (East Texas) have been running mid 90s to low 100sF (32-40C) with lows of 85F (29C) at night. A high pressure dome of heat parked over the Central US bringing no rain for several weeks and high temps. Comparing F to C, I prefer the spread of F over C, but not said to start anything. :)

A recent trip to Corpus Christi we saw large large fields of immature brown corn. At least it appeared immature to me. An alarming report is that the Oceans are turning green (more plant matter growing) due to the rise of temps, sharks are reported as dying. Another report said that El Niño usually causes a reduction of Atlantic hurricane activity, but with oceans heating up, that may change. I never thought I would be living in such a transitional period for the Earth. We have been warned for 40 years, yet… :oops:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
In New England, we've had a summer of rain. Horrific flooding in Vermont and Southwestern NH and western MA affected by runoff into the Connecticut River. It has been warm and very humid with highs in the 80s. That's actually normal but the humidity is annoying. The summer issues have been exacerbated by the wildfires in Quebec. A good swath of the US going as far south as Florida and as far north as NYC have been affected by the wildfires in Alberta.

The lawns in my area are the greenest I've ever seen them. Same with fields all over the place. Lakes, ponds and reservoirs are at levels I never seen before as well. Those living in the valleys of mountains have to worry about flooding downtowns. Also those living near rivers and creeks and those with highways next to rivers and creeks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since June we (East Texas) have been running mid 90s to low 100sF (32-40C) with with hear indexes about 110F, lows of 85F (29C) at night. A high pressure dome of heat parked over the Central US bringing no rain (at least to Texas) for several weeks and high temps. Comparing F to C. I prefer the spread of F over C, but consider I grew up with F. A recent trip to Corpus Christi we saw large large fields of immature brown corn.

An alarming report is that the Oceans are turning green (more plant matter growing) due to the rise of temps, sharks are reported as dying. Another report said that El Niño usually causes a reduction of Atlantic hurricane activity, but with oceans heating up, that may change. I never thought I would be living in such a transitional period for the Earth. We have been warned for 40 years, yet as a species, we just blunder along until we are smacked upside the head. :oops:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Today and the week ahead, depending on which app you're looking at, Weather app and Yahoo Weather.

Phoenix, AZ.

2023-07-15 16.02.32.png 2023-07-15 16.02.40.png 2023-07-15 16.02.52.png 2023-07-15 16.03.01.png

Inside, by 4pm (max heat of the day) it is a balmy 85-86º in the kitchen/front room. Central A/C broke in July 2020 so we survive on portable A/C.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
I hate hot weather. I just got back from Reno where it was in the 90s and while it's in the 80s in the Bay Area, I'm going to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks and I think the weather will be almost apocalyptic. Give me chilly and cold any day. Counting down the days to Winter.

Reactions: Huntn and fmpfmp

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
This has been a relatively cool and wet summer in the interior of Alaska, and the usual wildfires and smoke we have each summer haven't taken place. This week it has been raining sporadically (rain/sunny), with temperatures in the to to mid 70's F. (21-24 or so degrees C.) during the day, and in the low 50's to low 60's F. (10-15 C) at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Pouring rain started 30 minutes ago. We got some thunder which shook the house. I've received multiple flash flood alerts in email.

We are normally a heavy tourism state and those that scheduled vacations here this summer are probably pretty disappointed because of all the rain and wildfire smoke.

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like bad air quality from Canadian wildfires is returning :(

The break from it was nice while it lasted...

A friend of mine in Canada tells me it's basically been non-stop all summer. It's really starting to weigh on him. Air quality like this is detrimental to both physical and mental health.

Reactions: pshufd

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Looks like bad air quality from Canadian wildfires is returning :(

The break from it was nice while it lasted...

A friend of mine in Canada tells me it's basically been non-stop all summer. It's really starting to weigh on him. Air quality like this is detrimental to both physical and mental health.
The smoke from wildfires is a normal occurrence in the interior of Alaska, just like it is happening in Canada this summer. But it has been different for us this time. It has been cool and often raining.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: KaiFiMacFan

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The smoke from wildfires is a normal occurrence in the interior of Alaska, just like it is happening in Canada this summer. But it has been different for us this time. It has been cool and often raining.

It has not been great in New England between rain, heat, humidity, floods and the wildfire smoke. It does dissipate quite a bit by the time it gets to us and the folks in the midwest are getting hit pretty badly now but this has been kind of a waste of summer. A lot of tourists to our state have been unhappy.

At least the PNW is getting to enjoy good air quality.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 4.04.13 AM.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We were warned for 4 decades, we were not up to the task…😢

Global heat in ‘uncharted territory’ as scientists warn 2023 could be the hottest year on record​

Long-lost Greenland ice core suggests potential for disastrous sea level rise​

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This has been a relatively cool and wet summer in the interior of Alaska, and the usual wildfires and smoke we have each summer haven't taken place. This week it has been raining sporadically (rain/sunny), with temperatures in the to to mid 70's F. (21-24 or so degrees C.) during the day, and in the low 50's to low 60's F. (10-15 C) at night.
Alaska might become a primo location for the displaced masses. 🤔

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Alaska might become a primo location for the displaced masses. 🤔
People thought Vermont would be a good location to avoid climate change. Turns out that doesn't work. The flooding in Vermont this summer shows that no place is going to avoid the problems from climate change warming.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
People thought Vermont would be a good location to avoid climate change. Turns out that doesn't work. The flooding in Vermont this summer shows that no place is going to avoid the problems from climate change warming.

There was flooding in valleys, and places with poor drainage; not the whole state. I did not hear about any flooding in the largest city, Burlington.

I'm in New Hampshire and there was flooding in the Southwestern part of the state and some areas along the Connecticut River. There was no flooding in my town. There was flooding in Manchester but they get flooding with an inch of rain. If you want to avoid flooding, live on a hill or in a place with proper water drainage engineering.

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
We were warned for 4 decades, we were not up to the task…😢

Global heat in ‘uncharted territory’ as scientists warn 2023 could be the hottest year on record​

Long-lost Greenland ice core suggests potential for disastrous sea level rise​

We were never going to be up to the task - it's the tragedy of the commons. The only way out is probably going to be using technology objectively (Nuclear etc? Fusion - here's hoping!) and the coming world wide general population reductions.

The planet won't die, it will, if we're not a lot more careful just shrug us off and recover.

Reactions: Huntn

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
There was flooding in valleys, and places with poor drainage; not the whole state. I did not hear about any flooding in the largest city, Burlington.

I'm in New Hampshire and there was flooding in the Southwestern part of the state and some areas along the Connecticut River. There was no flooding in my town. There was flooding in Manchester but they get flooding with an inch of rain. If you want to avoid flooding, live on a hill or in a place with proper water drainage engineering.
Not really the point.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Not really the point.
If you going to live somewhere in the Nothern Hemisphere, the farther North the better from a heat aspect, but that does not mean you’ll avoid calamity, ref forests burning in Canada, houses threatened by rivers in Alaska. I agree with the comment about not living next to a river which has always been kind of true. :)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
If you going to live somewhere in the Nothern Hemisphere, the farther North the better from a heat aspect, but that does not mean you’ll avoid calamity, ref forests burning in Canada, houses threatened by rivers in Alaska. I agree with the comment about not living next to a river which has always been kind of true. :)

There are so many New England towns that are centered next to or on a river because the river provided transport and power in the past. You're usually in a valley with streets descending in altitude as you approach the river.

Our primary residence is actually a half mile from a major river but the elevation delta is 200 feet. Some cities have put up barriers along the river, that are quite high to diminish flood risk and this works well in two local cities but there are areas of poor drainage that flood and the locals just have to live with it until the water goes down. Sometimes there isn't the political will or power to fix neighborhood problems.

Given the history, I think that this may be recurring for towns and cities that are set up like this as it's hard to redo your town center and the states don't exactly have a ton of money to fix things or to move things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.