Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not ideal. First direct hit since 1985.
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 4.46.59 PM.png

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We were in the direct path this morning but it's moved west so we're not in the direct path anymore. The last one was Hurricane Bob.

Of course it could change direction back towards us so we'll keep an eye on it. The expected winds were 30 MPH when it was heading straight for us. The forecast has winds at 15 MPH right now. I've played tennis in 25 MPH winds so 30 MPH isn't terrible. Still neighbors are moving their grills and stuff that's unanchored outside in preparation.

I have not seen the forecast for the amount of rain but we got about two inches from Fred yesterday. This has been a very wet summer and we have the mosquitos to show for it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
North of you on the coast we've got a hazardous weather outlook from NOAA, but sounds like it will only amount to rough surf Sunday:
Henri is forecast to track north along the Gulf Stream, approaching
Long Island NY Sunday. Increasing long period swells and other wave
action from this storm may impact the coastal waters starting around
Sunday.
Even though there are rough surf warning signs in the most frequented coastal spots, it's typically when we see tourists taunting the waves getting too close down on the rocks, not realizing the danger. Inevitably someone gets swept in. It's so sad to read about but so preventable.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
NYC is not a good place for a direct hit. They have the subways and the borough that's really close to sea level that can get flooded. This doesn't look like it will be anywhere near Boston. My relatives are in Boston and I think that they are visiting my mother but I'll be down this weekend. I think that they will get 15 MPH winds which is nothing more or less.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The media is doing a very poor job warning people on Long Island about this storm. They’re billing this as a “New England storm”. Henri is going to do a lot of severe damage to long island, especially on the hamptons. Just last night, AccuWeather tweeted “Jones Beach could have indirect impacts from Henri”. No, they will have direct impacts

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The media is doing a very poor job warning people on Long Island about this storm. They’re billing this as a “New England storm”. Henri is going to do a lot of severe damage to long island, especially on the hamptons. Just last night, AccuWeather tweeted “Jones Beach could have indirect impacts from Henri”. No, they will have direct impacts
NOAA upgraded the hazards late today at 5:27 PM to a hurricane warning there coupled with storm surge warnings. That's serious stuff. I was on Shelter Island NY during Hurricane Bob, so I know how crazy it gets out east there.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
NOAA upgraded the hazards late today at 5:27 PM to a hurricane warning there coupled with storm surge warnings. That's serious stuff. I was on Shelter Island NY during Hurricane Bob, so I know how crazy it gets out east there.
Yes they did, but the threat was really real for Long Island as far as 48 hours ago if you were looking at the models.

Reactions: 0128672

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Current model I saw has a direct hit east of Long Island. The path then moves west into New York and then curves back east through Vermont and New Hampshire. The path of the eastward movement is about forty miles north of us so we won't be directly impacted. Wind speeds die down to about 40 MPH that far inland. I'd guess that the elevations around Long Island aren't that high and could see flooding along the coast.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Good to see it was downgraded to a tropical storm (with possible hurricane conditions) for NY and CT. Winds at Montauk (elevation 7 ft) are 24 gusting to 35, so just Near Gale on the Beaufort scale. All the other usual warnings are there too for storm surge, rip current, flooding, etc.

I might head down to the beach to watch the high surf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Big move to the east so it looks like it will land around the area where CT and RI meet. This means that it's closer to where I am. It just started raining heavily 30 minutes ago. I was at the grocery store and it was quite busy with people getting in last-minute shopping. The forecast is currently for 40+ MPH winds here (it had varied from 15 MPH to 30 MPH earlier). We haven't had one of these in 30 years so I wonder if some are going to take it lightly.

We have bottled water (we always have bottled water), charged batteries, dried food and gasoline in the tank.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Big move to the east so it looks like it will land around the area where CT and RI meet. This means that it's closer to where I am. It just started raining heavily 30 minutes ago. I was at the grocery store and it was quite busy with people getting in last-minute shopping. The forecast is currently for 40+ MPH winds here (it had varied from 15 MPH to 30 MPH earlier). We haven't had one of these in 30 years so I wonder if some are going to take it lightly.

We have bottled water (we always have bottled water), charged batteries, dried food and gasoline in the tank.
Glad to hear you're prepared. Things can change quickly. What's your flooding outlook?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Glad to hear you're prepared. Things can change quickly. What's your flooding outlook?

Our neighborhood is 200 feet above sea level and we are on a hill in the neighborhood. We've been here since 1988 and the only time I've seen any flooding in the lower part of the neighborhood was when an abutting business changed their parking lot drainage to run into our neighborhood. We told the town and the Planning Board required them to undo their drainage modifications (you're not supposed to do anything without planning board approval and this modification would also require approval from the water planning commission. We made additional improvements to drainage adding concrete structures in a huge catchment basin in response, though. They have reversed their drainage and so I can't see a flood happening here. The important thing is to clear the drainage structures annually as trees, rocks, etc. can block them.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That's a big change from this morning - the sharp west turn followed by the sharp east turn. I was expecting it to turn further north. It stopped raining here for a while and it's expected to pick up in a while. The weather.com models can't keep up with how things are changing. These maps are great.

Reactions: Huntn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I drove down to the border and determined that I couldn't get down there safely so I turned around and went home. Torrential downpours. Lots of cars parked in the breakdown lane. My car's collision avoidance system warning light was on. That means that it's raining so heavily that the radar can't operate.

I will go down later if it clears up. If not, then tomorrow morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.