Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yah, it was pretty fierce about 7-9 pm last night. About ready to head out for some work errands and see what the trees look like. I've seen some reports of a few small towns hit hard.

Yeah, we were reading about it, that's nuts, admittedly, I wasn't even familiar with the term derecho and the associated storm construct, a mesoscale convective system. Though, being in a hurricane area, I'm certainly familiar with the damage those kind of sustained wind speeds can cause. We've had some severe evening storms, wind and rain, and insane amounts of electrical activity.

Some people in the past few days posting photos from Universal Studios during storms, some of these are amazing:

1597244519550.png

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
We had another weird t-storm event over the weekend, mostly silent sheet lightning at four in the morning that woke people up for its sheer brilliance, I mean you could read a newspaper by it, and then torrential rain but no thunder, until.... after 20 minutes of that, one humongous multi-pronged lightning bolt hit a little clump of conifers near a house about a mile and a half up the road. Shredded the trees to matchsticks but nothing caught fire, the rain continued for a little bit and then moved on to the east. Everyone in the valley thought the lightning had hit something in their own backyard, the couple of near-instantaneous thunderclaps shook all our houses and cracked a few windowpanes. These don't feel like "your grandfather's thunderstorms" lately. All these thicker layers of clouds and far more intracloud than cloud to ground stuff... but when a storm does deliver cloud to ground, it's been pretty wild and the rain has been torrential. Points east of here got up to 4" of rain --which sounds like Pacific area monsoon weather-- so I figure the western Catskills lucked out with only around 3/4" and no flash floods.

Another one like that with less total rain wandered through here on Monday. We keep getting sandwiched between really hot weather to the west and east of us this summer, so when a front comes through from the northwest and disturbs that underlying setup, look out!

setup for interesting t-storms 2020.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Crapola, Marco and Laura. Bought some bottled water yesterday. Assessing canned goods. Maybe a natural gas generator tied into the house would be good thing. Talk to me on Friday. :oops:

84D3F74A-A68B-4042-9541-31140A084FE5.jpeg

33DE807A-F9EA-491D-959C-F4B5AB6442BE.jpeg

2B58EFA7-1467-4685-B5AF-25007148CA8D.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: kazmac and LizKat

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Having a back-up generator is always a good idea.
I’ve been mulling this for a number of years. As I understand it, it’s a gasoline generator that gobbles about 15-20 gallons of gas per day which fetching that gas can be a big pain in the butt under recent hurricane conditions or a large investment in a natural gas generator tied into the House circuitry- $5-10k. I’d much prefer the Natural Gas model, but find it just about impossible to justify the price.

Reactions: JamesMike

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I’ve been mulling this for a number of years. As I understand it, it’s a gasoline generator that gobbles about 15-20 gallons of gas per day which fetching that gas can be a big pain in the butt under recent hurricane conditions or a large investment in a natural gas generator tied into the House circuitry- $5-10k. I’d much prefer the Natural Gas model, but find it just about impossible to justify the price.

Around here people use ones that rely not on gasoline but on LPG, since many folks have a 200-gallon tank of that for heat and HW anyway. Don't think the install is quite as pricey as $5k for a hookup to the mains and automatic kick-in during an outage, tests itself once a week or something. Most people don't do their whole panel, just enough for whatever they regard as essential past fridge, freezer, furnace and some lighting. Later for the entertainment center and laundry etc.

I keep saving up for one of these, not there yet, have raided the cash-stash for stuff like the 2020 MBA I'm typing on... I suppose I should hope that lights up real good and burns hot lol when the power goes out sometime in winter, since I don't burn wood any more even as a backup. "Actions have consequences..."

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
  • Wow
Reactions: LizKat

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Tracking is holding up for landfall near Lake Charles, La tomorrow 1am, but Houston is pretty close.

00D61F1F-191C-4F21-96BF-7193A1D9B83E.jpeg

My Radar App (iOS)

8DA7B719-0242-4A42-9F41-9A03A2ED33E4.jpeg

Hurricane Tracker App (iOS)​

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LizKat

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Weather Channel is now saying winds could be close to 140MPH at landfall. And storm surge in certain areas could be at Katrina levels. Prayers for everyone in the area. Be safe and get to higher and safer ground if you can. ??

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Weather Channel is now saying winds could be close to 140MPH at landfall. And storm surge in certain areas could be at Katrina levels. Prayers for everyone in the area. Be safe and get to higher and safer ground if you can. ??
Possibly a 10-20’ storm surge, described as unsurvivable to be in it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Possibly a 10-20’ storm surge, described as unsurvivable to be in it.

Worse than that, seeing indications of 30 miles inland affect, and buoys in the path showing 40-45 feet waves.

45 feet. For people who don't live on the coast, surf, have a perspective on that, it's to the top of a FOUR story house/building.

Be safe people this is catastrophic and deadly. Pack your family, pets, whatsoever **** will fit in your vehicles and head north.

• Sad
Reactions: Huntn

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Nothing will beat my Katrina!
[automerge]1598481965[/automerge]
185 mph in the middle of the gulf with Cat. 5 storm surge. My Katrina.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I don’t want to talk too soon, but it looks like Houston may dodge a big bullet.

But this thing is a beast. It’ll probably be upgraded to a Cat 5 storm next update.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.