Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let's see

Nokia 7250
Nokia E51
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
Moto X
Xiaomi Redmi 2
Xiaomi Mi Max
Honor View 10 (which just received Android 10!! So it's staying. :D)

Secondary:
iPhone 7 Plus

Reactions: Healer Flame

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
In the early days, I had numerous Nokia, Motorola, SonyEricsson feature phones (too many to name or recall!).

Therefore, I will list the mobile phones that I have had from the smartphone era:
  1. Nokia N95 8GB
  2. Sony Ericsson W995
  3. HTC Desire
  4. Google Nexus S
  5. Samsung Galaxy S2
  6. HTC Desire HD
  7. Google Galaxy Nexus
  8. Samsung Galaxy S3
  9. Google Nexus 4
  10. Samsung Galaxy S4
  11. Apple iPhone 5
  12. LG G2
  13. Motorola Moto X 2014
  14. Apple iPhone 5s
  15. LG G Flex 2
  16. LG G4
  17. Samsung Galaxy S6
  18. Apple iPhone 6
  19. Motorola Moto X Style
  20. Apple iPhone 6s Plus
  21. Apple iPhone 6s
  22. Google Nexus 5X
  23. Apple iPhone 7
  24. Google Pixel
  25. Apple iPhone SE
  26. Apple iPhone 7 Plus
  27. Apple iPhone 8 Plus
  28. Samsung Galaxy S9
  29. Apple iPhone XS
  30. Samsung Galaxy Note9
It has been a long journey to my Note9.. ;)

The list continues from the above:
31. Samsung Galaxy Note10
32. Apple iPhone X
33. Apple iPhone SE (2020)
34. Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G

Last edited:

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
I guess its hard to miss buying a 2020 made phone ;). If the rumours are true it'll be hard to choose between flat Note 20 and its curved big brother Note 20+.

Reactions: kkh786

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I guess its hard to miss buying a 2020 made phone ;). If the rumours are true it'll be hard to choose between flat Note 20 and its curved big brother Note 20+.
True.. I will have to try my best to stay away from the upcoming Note20 series and be content with the S20+! Wishful thinking! Hehe!

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Wow can't believe how specifically you all can remember...

I know I had a few little Nokia bricks, then a Motorola flip (or two), a couple of Motorola Razr's, then one of the first little Blackberry's. Then things get clearer?:

Blackberry Curve
Blackberry Storm (worst phone ever!)
iPhone 4
iPhone 4s
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
Note 8
iPhone XR
Note 10+

Next phone will be new Note 20 or new iPhone 12 Pro Plus , I can't decide. I have an elderly mom who lives halfway across the country and can't get messaging straight between her iPhone 8 and my Note 10+ no matter how many times I get her set up when I go visit her with both Messages and Whatsapp. She just can't do it for some reason.??‍♀️ It's sad bc it limits our conversations to phone or email. Life is short so I may return to iPhone for that reason and that one only. Otherwise I love my Note 10+ and it's by far the best phone I've ever had. Also could be easily persuaded by a future iteration of Galaxy Flip. Very interested in that concept as it matures!

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
1. Motorola M400 (my first phone that I brought in approx 1994).
2. Various Nokia phones like the 3310
3. T mobile MDA compact 4 (basically a t mobile branded HTC touch diamond with slightly more memory).
4. Nokia n900 with Maemo OS. Really loved this phone due to its keyboard, and still have it. Had same cpu as the iPhone 3GS.
5. Samsung galaxy S3. Revolutionary at the time as first phone with quad core cpu and 720p HD screen.
6. HTC One M8. Probably my favourite phone of all time. Very snappy and amazing audio quality.
7. iPhone 6s Plus
8. iPhone 8 Plus
9. iPhone SE 2nd gen.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
HTC One M8. Probably my favourite phone of all time. Very snappy and amazing audio quality

Indeed, the stereo sound was very superior comparing to rivals but sadly after the major update this phone was killed , especially the camera.

Excellent good starting years for HTC but the end was bad.
[automerge]1591894396[/automerge]
Not sure how Motorola able to survive despite poor sales?

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Indeed, the stereo sound was very superior comparing to rivals but sadly after the major update this phone was killed , especially the camera.

Excellent good starting years for HTC but the end was bad.
[automerge]1591894396[/automerge]
Not sure how Motorola able to survive despite poor sales?

Healer flame I forgot to mention the beautiful design, build quality and all metal chassis which Apple copied when making the iPhone 6. Now I last left it on Android 6 Marshmallow, and it was very good. Fast and snappy. In not sure what major update your referring to which is interesting. Yes sad how HTC went down the pan, as they were revolutionary in there heyday.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
- Blackberry 9000
- iPhone 3G
- MyTouch 3D
- Nexus-One
- EVO 4G
- Nexus-S
- EVO 3D
- Galaxy S2
- Galaxy Nexus
- HTC One X
- Galaxy Note 2
- Nexus 4
- Galaxy S4
- HTC One M8
- OnePlus One
- iPhone 6 Plus
- Nexus 6
- Galaxy Note 5
- LG G5
- HTC 10
- Nexus 6P
- iPhone 7 Plus
- Galaxy S8+
- LG G6
- LG V30
- Pixel 2 XL
- Pixel 3 XL
- Pixel 4 XL

Out of all these phones, my favorites would be most of the Nexus / Pixel phones, and least fav, all the iPhone's.

A few special ones that I really liked would be the HTC One M8, converted to the GPE stock Google OS, that was a beauty of a smartphone. And the Sprint EVO 4G was a big deal at the time. The original OnePlus One was a crazy cheap bargain with amazing performance.

Overall I really enjoyed most of the Nexus phones, but not all. I am very comfortable and enjoy the Pixel XL line. Not a fan of the Samsung Galaxy line, and iPhone blows mostly due to iOS.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
1) Nokia 8110
2) Sony Ericsson T610
3) iPhone 3G
4) iPhone 4S
5) iPhone 5
6) iPhone 6
7) iPhone SE
8) Samsung Galaxy A5 (this was only ever bought to play with Android and be a 2nd phone - hated it!)
9) Samsung Galaxy A8 (I only had this for like 6 months before selling it)
10) Samsung Galaxy S10
11) iPhone XS (although its a 2nd phone to the S10)

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
In not sure what major update your referring to

Can't remember exactly which version but i remember one of the major updates had to be suspended.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Nokia, don’t remember which one it was but it was very small.
LG LX165 (Virgin Mobile Phone)
iPhone 5,
Samsung S5, didn’t like it too much.
Note 5
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
Samsung S8
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone XS
Samsung S10 plus
iPhone 11, sold after few months
iPhone 11 Pro Max

So I have 2 phones S10+ 11 pro max. I alternate between the two of them.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Cool thread! Ummm... I’ve had plenty of dumb phones when first starting out. But I’ll rather start with my first smartphone.. which was the Blackberry, I can’t remember which one it was... maybe the Blackberry Pearl. But it was one of those times where if you didn’t have a Blackberry... you wasn’t in the race! Then the iPhone was first introduced and it was all over! I can’t really go on a timeline to figure what phones I had before what, but I can tell the phones I’ve used...

Original iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3Gs
iPhone 4
Handful of Galaxy Notes
Handful of Galaxy Edge Series
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone X
Galaxy Note 10+

I mention handful of Galaxy Notes and Galaxy Edge Series.. cause I can’t really recall what phones I used, I was intrigued by Samsung willing to go large on their phones and introducing crazy features with the Edge Series. So, I always dabbled with Samsung.. but I eventually ended up back with the iPhone. Right now, I’m enjoying the Note 10+... I don’t see myself going back to the iPhone anytime soon, regardless of what happens with the iPhone 12.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
cause I can’t really recall what phones I used,

I surprised myself by remembering my very first phone which was Sony Ericsson Gh688 and Samsung F480 ?
[automerge]1592351648[/automerge]
Well, google helped get the name but looks i still remember it, it was exactly like in the picture.

Attachments

• 20200617_094624.jpg
    20200617_094624.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 144

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I surprised myself by remembering my very first phone which was Sony Ericsson Gh688 and Samsung F480 ?

Yeah, I didn't wanna go through all that. I did actually found out that my first smartphone was the BlackBerry Pearl, which I initially thought I had the BlackBerry Curve. But according to Google/Wikipedia the BlackBerry Curve was released in 2007, which was when the original iPhone released.

It's crazy how much technology has advanced... teens would laugh at us, if we pulled out a Sony Ericsson GH688.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm shocked to see so many people's lists with multiple years of new iPhone's. Would think after one or two they'd get the point, iOS blows, and belongs in the dumpster.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm shocked to see so many people's lists with multiple years of new iPhone's. Would think after one or two they'd get the point, iOS blows, and belongs in the dumpster.

You are entitled to your viewpoint, but not sure why you are shocked to see people's list of multiple years of new iPhones... we are in an Apple-centric website. But besides that point, I've been tied with iOS because of smoothness of the OS... something you really couldn't say about Android, it took Google awhile to provide a smooth OS experience... especially web scrolling, that was horrible.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I'm just busting stones on people that have had so many iPhones over the years, That's cool.

Different strokes, for different folks.

My first iPhone was the iPhone 3G and I didn't know any better at the time. Then I had a bunch of Nexus and Galaxy phones and went back to the first large iPhone 6 Plus phone and was pretty surprised that iOS was crap. And then for dumb reason I got another iPhone couple years later the 7 Plus, and yeah it was still poo.

Oh well I guess I've just gotten so comfortable with Nexus, OnePlus, Pixel smartphone OS. That's just what I'm satisfied with lately. Not saying those are the best devices of all time, no way not at all. It's just seems to be what I prefer.

But I will give Apple a lot of credit on engineering and design, their hardware is bar none the top best. And they build a very high quality phone. Blows away anything Google puts out. The Pixel phone hardware and build quality is a frigging joke.

My dream phone, the iPhone 12 Pro Max, running Oxygen OS.

Last edited:

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015

I wouldn't go that far. My own switch to Android, which was my 3rd attempt at it, only really stuck the last time because I had decided to go all in rather than hanging on to things like iCloud. I feel if one doesn't let go of things, most importantly iCloud, any real evaluation of it is not possible. That said, I had never really gotten the impression that Android would be anything but a step backward up until about Android 7 or 8… which isn't really that long ago.

Additionally, as phones for me have gotten significantly larger OneUI has also made a big difference. My switch to Android probably didn't hinge on this as had really gotten fed up with iPhone & iOS when the XR/XS was released yet the one handed leanings of this Android skin definitely helps. I really don't like that iOS is nothing but a 2-handed OS for me (if you have big enough hands to use it one handed good for you!). I'm still up for a smaller phone and the only thing stopping me going with the S10e over the S10 was the location of the FPS.

There were a lot of things that came together at the same time to allow Android to become was it is for me now, so I can hardly say iOS deserves to be in the dumpster. I would definitely say it requires some serious evolution to be happening though as I doubt there's anything Apple could do to get me back without it. Don't forget… no iPhone means no need of any monthly services either.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Cheap free flip phone from att
Another cheap free phone att
iPhone 3g
iPhone 4
iPhone 5
Moto X (the 1st gen)
iPhone 5s
iPhone 6
iPhone 6s
iPhone 7, Pixel 2 (work)
iPhone XS, Pixel 3 (work)
iPhone 11, Pixel4 (work)

I could use any phone for work just like the Pixel as you can tell and Google keeps giving me really good discounts I can't pass up.

Also currently own a Moto Z3 that I received for free from Motorola (and a bunch of mods to go with it). I sometimes switch it out with my Pixel to use for work or occasionally to use the projector mod.
[automerge]1592635224[/automerge]
Wow, where to begin.
  • LG Shine
  • HTC Hero (CDMA, Sprint)
  • HTC Evo 4G
  • HTC Arrive (Windows Phone)
  • HTC One M7
  • OnePlus 1
  • LG / Google Nexus 5
  • Apple iPhone 5s
  • Nokia Lumia 1520
  • OnePlus One
  • Apple iPhone 6
  • OnePlus 2
  • Huawei / Google Nexus 6P
  • Galaxy S6
  • Google Pixel XL
  • Moto Z Play
  • Apple iPhone X
  • Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • Google Pixel 2 XL
  • Apple iPhone 8
  • Essential PH-1
  • Google Pixel 3
  • OnePlus 6T
I've probably missed a few phones here and there and it's probably not in the right order, but yeah. I might or might not have a phone addiction.
And I thought I was addicted to phones.

Last edited:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Small Nokia candy bar phone
Basic Motorola Flip Phone
Motorola RAZR v3c
Motorola KRZR K1m
Motorola RAZR 2. (My favorite flip phone)
Motorola Evoke - First touchscreen before Android, but not very good.
Motorola Droid (First Android phone for me)
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid RAZR
Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx (big battery version)
Motorola Droid Maxx 4G (First 4G phone)
LG G3
LG G4
Samsung Note 7 (for 2 weeks) ?
Samsung Galaxy S7 in Gold (replaced the recalled Note 7)
Samsung S8+
LG V40
LG V60 (I just ordered it today and am selling my V40 to a friend)

The only old phones I still have in a box are the original Moto RAZR v3c and the KRZR K1m. The rest I sold or traded in. I just found those old Moto phones going through some stuff the other day and decided to hold onto them just for nostalgic purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.