Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have been on 8.4.1 since launch day. I did a fresh install through iTunes then restored from my iCloud backup. Today my battery started draining like crazy, I had to put it on the charger 4 times just to keep it from draining down to zero (typically go all day on the overnight charge).

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have been on 8.4.1 since launch day. I did a fresh install through iTunes then restored from my iCloud backup. Today my battery started draining like crazy, I had to put it on the charger 4 times just to keep it from draining down to zero (typically go all day on the overnight charge).
Also wanted to add that what ever is causing this is also causing the back of the phone to heat up.

Reactions: dkh587

TomH TX

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
My 6+ started doing that last weekend. I did a power-off, and that did seem to help some, but depletion rate is still higher than on prior versions.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Check especially Settings > General > Usage > Battery usage > Please check if the percentages match your usage of the mentioned apps. You should see a rogue app (due to iOS bug within the app together with the latest iOS version). I've seen similar issues with an app when we switched from iOS6 > iOS7.

Also look at:
- Are your e-mail settings still the same? So for battery purposes fetch (e.g once an hour) instead of push
- Did you have background app refresh on for one or more apps? I have this off and saves a lot of battery
- Check Settings > Notifications > Make sure that only apps that should use notification are on.
- Check Settings > Privacy > Location services > Make sure that only apps that you want to use GPS are selected
- Check if iCloud sync is set and for which apps. You could e.g. try to turn it off temporary for all or e.g. only the Music app.
- Check if your Usage and Standby time is the same. If this is the case then this is probably caused by a rogue app which keeps running all the time (background activity). I had a similar problem back in the iOS7 days.

I'm still running 8.4 on my iPhone 5s and have no drain issues.

Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have both issues going on with my 6+.

Tried a fresh install of 8.4.1 from iTunes (did reload my iCloud backup) and it seemed to help for a day. However today it was back to draining. I can't even make it to 3PM.
I am going to try a fresh install with only the stock apps loaded this weekend and see it that helps.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
image.jpg
Let us know if it helps. I'm considering it but everything I've read said it doesn't help so I'm hesitant to try it.
I guess my feeling is if the battery still drains with only the stock apps then I am taking the phone in for Apple to fix.

Here is my usage so far today, down to 26% and it is still only 9am.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I've also been having battery issues with my iPhone 5 on iOS 8.4.1, but I wasn't sure if it was age/known battery issues the 5 has. I haven't changed any settings, and it's just been terrible the last couple days.

Cameron500

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Tulsa
I have a 5s and noticed the battery heating up yesterday as well. I've had issues with the iTunes store being unresponsive at times and the app store not downloading without a restart. I logged out of iCloud and turned off iCloud library in Music and erased all the music on the phone. With all that turned off, the phone was trying to download 600 songs from iTunes, songs i had previously downloaded from my iCloud library. I do not use Apple Music but have iTunes Match.

Cameron500

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Tulsa
My iCloud info freezes on my phone if I try to access it from the settings app, even after restoring. I think iCloud has a lot to do with it as well as the music app.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
View attachment 577525
I guess my feeling is if the battery still drains with only the stock apps then I am taking the phone in for Apple to fix.

Here is my usage so far today, down to 26% and it is still only 9am.

Your usage and standby time is the same that can't be correct. I've also had that and in my case this was caused by a rogue app back in the iOS7 days. Have you looked at my tips i mentioned above.

I've signed out of Apple Music to see what effect that has. I've seen a bunch of references to that possibly being the cause...

iCloud sync for the Music app could also be a cause of drain. Try to turn it off for the Music app or all together indeed. I'm curious if you are still seeing draining?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Your usage and standby time is the same that can't be correct. I've also had that and in my case this was caused by a rogue app back in the iOS7 days. Have you looked at my tips i mentioned above?

Yes I did make those adjustments, no change after that.

Looking at my usage I felt that FB may have been the issue, so I deleted that last night. Will give it a few hours this morning and see if things get better. I did not think about the usage and standby time being the same, that is weird.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
Yes I did make those adjustments, no change after that.

Looking at my usage I felt that FB may have been the issue, so I deleted that last night. Will give it a few hours this morning and see if things get better. I did not think about the usage and standby time being the same, that is weird.

My usage and standby have been the same too. I don't notice this all the time, but have certainly seen it.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
My usage and standby have been the same too. I don't notice this all the time, but have certainly seen it.

I tried this. It seemed to help for a day then things went wonky again.
Same here ^

I am going to check today at 9 and compare my battery life to how it was yesterday. Already seems better this morning, the only change has been to remove the Facebook app.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

That can't be correct. As said in my case it was a rogue app that kept running in the background (GPS data check). In the end i removed that app after someone posted that app in a forum topic. This was when i switches from iOS6 > iOS7.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
That can't be correct. As said in my case it was a rogue app that kept running in the background (GPS data check). In the end i removed that app after someone posted that app in a forum topic. This was when i switches from iOS6 > iOS7.

If that was the case wouldn't battery usage, under the app. section, show the app. in question?

I guess one sure way to find out is to restore, then set up as new. I'm just trying to avoid that for obvious reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.