Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
That can't be correct. As said in my case it was a rogue app that kept running in the background (GPS data check). In the end i removed that app after someone posted that app in a forum topic. This was when i switches from iOS6 > iOS7.
I also think it is a bad app, I took a stab at it being my Facebook app so I removed it. So far my battery life is better.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
image.jpg
It's worth a try. I just know there are plenty of people who are not having battery issues running 8.4.1 and if I had to venture a guess most of them have Facebook installed.
My battery is much better today after removing Facebook. Still have the issue with the standby and the usage being the same.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I opt to use 'paper' app version of Facebook.

Seems kinder on my battery and I don't need the separate messenger part.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
I'm seeing far better results today without Facebook installed as well. Granted I haven't used my phone much but at least it's not dying while it's on standby like it was. True test will be to reinstall Facebook tomorrow and see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.PNG
    IMG_0077.PNG
    240.6 KB · Views: 177

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
In regards to Facebook, wouldn't turning off it's notifications and background app refresh achieve the same thing as deleting it in regards to battery life? I'm sure using it would use more battery life than Safari, but I'm saying in a case where you barely use Facebook anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In regards to Facebook, wouldn't turning off it's notifications and background app refresh achieve the same thing as deleting it in regards to battery life? I'm sure using it would use more battery life than Safari, but I'm saying in a case where you barely use Facebook anyway.
And I guess closing it out after every time you use it perhaps. Hard to say...it's all assuming that's where the issue is to begin with of course (and that doing those things would be essentially the same as uninstalling the app itself).

Reactions: nmeed

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm seeing far better results today without Facebook installed as well. Granted I haven't used my phone much but at least it's not dying while it's on standby like it was. True test will be to reinstall Facebook tomorrow and see what happens.

And I guess closing it out after every time you use it perhaps. Hard to say...it's all assuming that's where the issue is to begin with of course (and that doing those things would be essentially the same as uninstalling the app itself).

I would say that the usage and standby times being the same is likely a somewhat bigger issue that should be figured out.

I had better life today, but still something is wrong. Also the issue with the usage and standby times being the same issue. Doing a restore as new and will see how that works for a day.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
I had better life today, but still something is wrong. Also the issue with the usage and standby times being the same issue. Doing a restore as new and will see how that works for a day.

I agree, I'm not convinced it was Facebook causing the issue. I had good battery all day. Then when phone got to around 79% it started draining. Lost over 10% just in my pocket and now am below 60% without having used it. I'm probably going to restore and setup as new tomorrow.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Battery life on my 5 is better today without Facebook installed. Although I didn't use it as much today since Facebook in Safari is so annoying.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
My 6+ has been getting noticeably warm, as well as Safari crashing and restarting more than ever. I'm getting sick of Apple at this point.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
My 6+ has been getting noticeably warm, as well as Safari crashing and restarting more than ever. I'm getting sick of Apple at this point.

It's certainly a conundrum how user experience differs.

I gave up on Safari due to tab re loads and concentrated on using Google Chrome. After a while Chrome would just crash. Seems from their update to add eye candy such as swipe commands.

I went back to Safari and up to now it's been fine.

Go figure !

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You don't need to uninstall the Facebook app. Just close it completely in the app switcher after using it. It does a lot of background activity when you leave it running in the switcher and causes it to almost never fully stop running. (Not the same as background refresh.)

I have always closed it after use and it doesn't collect hours of background or effect my battery when doing so. Times I've forgotten to close it, that's when you see it using up battery and logging hours of use. (iOS 9 makes it easier to see with the new toggle that shows on screen and background use times separately.)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
You don't need to uninstall the Facebook app. Just close it completely in the app switcher after using it. It does a lot of background activity when you leave it running in the switcher and causes it to almost never fully stop running. (Not the same as background refresh.)

I have always closed it after use and it doesn't collect hours of background or effect my battery when doing so. Times I've forgotten to close it, that's when you see it using up battery and logging hours of use. (iOS 9 makes it easier to see with the new toggle that shows on screen and background use times separately.)

I'm trying to find what the new iOS 9 New Toggle looks like that shows on Screen you speak of. Is their a screen shot anywhere ?

border terrier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
England
FWIW I had an issue ,maybe 30% down on battery life before the update and I noticed in the battery usage list that Notes was running as a background service to 25% or more. I turned off notes sync in settings for all email accounts and the battery is now back to was it was before the update, maybe even a little better (10+ hours of email/call use). iPhone 6.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
FWIW I had an issue ,maybe 30% down on battery life before the update and I noticed in the battery usage list that Notes was running as a background service to 25% or more. I turned off notes sync in settings for all email accounts and the battery is now back to was it was before the update, maybe even a little better (10+ hours of email/call use). iPhone 6.

Hi

Does turning that Notes function off stop notes from syncing between my iPhone and iPad ?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I restored the phone last night and set it up as new. Will see what happens today.
Let it charge over night, the usage and the standby is still weird.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 170

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

Just closeing it completely did not do the trick for me, it was only after removing it did I notice the battery life improve. Also the back of the phone did not get warm(borderline hot).

I was still having issues though so I decided to restore the phone and set up as new.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess I was/am unsure on how the standby time works. I thought the stands by was a projection on how much "standby" time you have.
It's simply the time since the battery was fully charged and taken off the charger.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

Removing it and waiting for an update seems to have fixed it for me. The current version seems better. But I'm using an iPhone 5 on 8.4.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.