Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
If that was the case wouldn't battery usage, under the app. section, show the app. in question?

I guess one sure way to find out is to restore, then set up as new. I'm just trying to avoid that for obvious reasons.

Back in iOS7 day's you couldn't see that. Since iOS8 you should see it there indeed. If it can't be seen there then it could be caused by all the reasons as given in my post earlier (e.g. location settings, e-mail push/fetch, iCloud) which should be also shown at battery usage (normally).

I restored the phone last night and set it up as new. Will see what happens today.
Let it charge over night, the usage and the standby is still weird.

It seems fine again. That problem seems to be resolved then.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I restored as new and did not load any backups onto the phone. Had very good Battery life both Sat & Sunday. I have now loaded a few "non stock" apps on so today will be a good test to see if my battery life at work is still good.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I've signed out of Apple Music to see what effect that has. I've seen a bunch of references to that possibly being the cause...

Did it help? I'm also having the battery drain but additionally major music issues, playback will just randomly stop, the music app freezes alllll the time, same goes for podcasts!

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I restored as new and did not load any backups onto the phone. Had very good Battery life both Sat & Sunday. I have now loaded a few "non stock" apps on so today will be a good test to see if my battery life at work is still good.
Take it that it went good? Was patiently waiting for an update

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Take it that it went good? Was patiently waiting for an update
Sorry, it took so long. Short answer is maybe..
The very fast draining I had went away when I deleted the Facebook app. After that I felt that my battery life still was not "as good" as it could be and I had an issue where my usage and stand by time would always read the same number.

Restoring as new (and not loading a backup after that), did fix the issue with the usage and stand by issue. I have also been able to load back the Facebook app and not see the quick drain I was having. I think what I am seeing now is acceptable battery life, but still not as good as I have seen in the past.;

Reactions: ipooed

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have been having some huge battery drains (woke up today to a dead phone) and it seems to be the Apple music app.

All the more reason to not blindly leave apps in the app switcher. You never know when they get hung on any process and cause performance issues. Facebook and the new Music app cause all sorts of things when left in it.

I know it's been talked about to death and people will say over and over again that you don't need to close out apps and it saves battery because they don't need to launch fully when left in it. But those battery benefits Do not last as long as people think. Most apps can get an extension to run in the background for a max 15 minutes to finish a task. After that the app shuts down. If you're doing a lot of other things within other apps, odds are you've tossed that previous app out of ram already. And it would require a full launch again anyways, negating the benefit.

So really if you're not using an app multiple times an hour or at least once an hour, on the hour, it would be safer to just close it out after use. This prevents apps to get stuck without knowing causing one to think it's the OS lagging and stuttering and is the worst OS ever and iOS 6 was sooo good, when it's some random app hung up causing it.

Sure you "shouldn't" have to close out apps. But with the millions of apps out there, by big companies or small there is no guarantee they will all run perfectly all the time. Personally I rather have the control and keep it lean, that way I know if something funky is happening there are only a few possibilities to what's causing it.

Reactions: KUguardgrl13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.