Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Can't wait to get some details on the M4 chip and what it might mean for the M4 MBP lineup. If "lowest tier" M4 now has 6 efficiency cores, then what happens to M4 Pro? M3 Pro (full) has 6p + 6e, so they'll need to make a bump somewhere, so 6p+8e or, even better, 8e + 8p? The Pro chip can finally be a real upgrade and the M4 Max could be monstrous.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Should be a nice jump from my M1 iPad pro.. battery life on this thing has gotten so bad in the last few months.
How bad has it gotten? Mine still seems pretty close to original capacity in terms of how long a charge lasts (also M1 iPad Pro, 2020). But I haven’t been tracking it to see whether it has degraded (it must have to some degree, being 4 years old!).

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
But, but... the iPhone must be first with new generation tech... no way any apparent patterns can be altered at any time. First iPhone, then everything else.

And so much for the apparent pattern of M-series releases too. Many thought they saw a pattern in only 2 generations and then M3, PRO & MAX hit together to alter that perception and now here's M4 out at a very odd time of the year vs. the apparent pattern.

As has been offered before, there is no pattern in only a few iterations of anything. Flip a coin 3 times and you may get heads or tails 3 times in a row. That doesn't mean even the next flip will come up the same way. And with tech, any apparent pattern is subject to change at any time.

I'm with #9: I won't be surprised to see the apparent ORDER of releases flipped as soon as WWDC with M4 Ultra jumping ahead of MAX & PRO. Why? Mostly because it is apparently in the most profitable Macs per-unit-sold... and- apparently- Apple likes money. 💰💰💰

M4 will be digested news by WWDC and the Mac lineup will have their 2 "most powerful" Macs running on what will seem like 2-generations-old brains.

AFAIC: Welcome M4! Now bring on the Macs with it ASAP.

It’s almost like Apple doesn’t do product releases based on numerology!

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
I just about to say the same thing. With a new processor it takes a while to get yields where they need to be for a larger product category like laptops. Yield is key for profitability in this business.
It's not about new processors. It's about new processes, which is totally different. Or course M4 is both.

However, N3E is not nearly the hurdle that N3B was, as they're doing all the same things, just less of it. From somewhat fallible memory, N3E uses 19 EUV layers while N3B uses, um, 25? Something like that. And more importantly, N3E uses no double-patterning at all.

So the ramp for N3E is faster than the N3B ramp. Yield will start better and improve faster- I think much better and much faster, though I'm not qualified to offer that opinion with certainty.

Switching nodes requires redesign and retesting. The node that Apple was using was too expensive in production because of yield problems, but it was the best one when M3 was designed. With M4, they switched to a newer node that was ready for M4 and has better yield and is an improvement.
As best as anyone has been able to determine, the idea that N3B had big yield problems is a weird internet rumor that just took on a life of its own, but has no basis in fact. It is however true that N3B is significantly more expensive than N3E, for the reasons outlined above (much greater complexity).

Assuming same clock: single-core will be the same, and multi-core will only go up <5% if that.
That's *extremely* unlikely.

Wow. Maybe they brought the cost of M4 down below the cost of M1 and 2? Impressive. I'm guessing they had production problems with M4, though, if the vast majority of chips will be binned to only 3 cores. Unless of course they're just using the crap up on iPad Pro and will save the good chips for Mac...
There's no chance that that's due to production "problems". Look at the size of the CPUs vs. the size of the entire die. However your idea about them culling from production for Macs as well does have merit... *if* they're actually making them in that volume already, which, I don't know, would be ahead of TSMC's earlier published schedule, but it's possible.

I suspect that many of those 3-P-core chips will actually have a perfectly good 4th core that's fused off.

I’m betting the higher storage are binned M4 binned as well, compared to what go into the MacBook Air, and those are binned M4 pros, and those are just binned M4 Max.
Because you clearly know absolutely nothing about chips. That's ludicrous. Just google for "apple m3 die shot" and do a few minutes of reading.

...at least, the pro/max part is ridiculous. The MBA M4 having more cores is highly unlikely, though maybe a little less crazy- we'll know if we get a die shot of the M4. It wouldn't make sense though - it doesn't help with product segmentation, and fusing off cores in the iPad is pointless and even counterproductive (except for segmentation *within* the pad product line).

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage and ric22

PhoenixAnhart

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2023
Go to your room. You can come out when Mr Cranky Pants doesn't reappear.
I was clearly joking with the last part.

But as for my post, would 99% of iPad Pro users notice any difference between the M2 and M4? Would 99% of artists and content creators, even, notice a difference? Apple desperately wants the iPad to be seen as a computer, but it just isn't.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

ItsASpider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2021
What do you think it means?
Does it mean that you don't really know what you're talking about? Apple claims the M4 is the fastest NPU in any device, which, yeah sure, is correct. For now. The Snapdragon Elite X has a more powerful NPU. And given the performance comparison Qualcomm has shown compared to the M3 and the claims Apple is making about the M4 compared to the M2, Qualcomm has nothing to worry about.

The M4 is at best roughly equal to the Snapdragon X Elite. The good news is; that's nothing for you to be defensive about. Apple can take care of itself and it *really* doesn't matter in the slightest in the first place.

• Disagree
Reactions: Steve121178

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
Does it mean that you don't really know what you're talking about? Apple claims the M4 is the fastest NPU in any device, which, yeah sure, is correct. For now. The Snapdragon Elite X has a more powerful NPU. And given the performance comparison Qualcomm has shown compared to the M3 and the claims Apple is making about the M4 compared to the M2, Qualcomm has nothing to worry about.

The M4 is at best roughly equal to the Snapdragon X Elite. The good news is; that's nothing for you to be defensive about. Apple can take care of itself and it *really* doesn't matter in the slightest in the first place.
The comparison Qualcomm did was comparing the chips with at totally different power level and for some reason not comparing with M3 Max.

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014

Did you get lost in all of QC's hype and forget to look at the actual numbers? The SXE is way behind the M3 in single-core performance, nevermind the M4, and, well, choosing to compare a 12-performance-core SXE with the bottom-rung M3 (with just 4 P cores and 4 E cores) says pretty much everything that needs to be said. The quite middling M3 Pro beats it, and the Max leaves it in the dust.

It's barely possible we'll actually see M4 Pro and M4 Max shipping before the SXE. WWDC should be interesting.

As for the NPU numbers... we'll see. It may be exactly as you say, but QC has been playing fast and loose with the numbers since they first announced their chip, so I would withhold judgement until they're in the wild. (Also, once they are, how long will it be before anyone has software that takes advantage of the QC NPUs?)

And yes, I'm using GB6 numbers for everything. It's not the ideal benchmark, but it's what we've got, and it's not bad.

As I've said before, when you do a tech comparison, QC loses to Apple and it's not even close. But in the real world, actual customers aren't judging technology, they're judging tech and price. There, QC has a chance to take the fight to Apple; if they can price their chips so that laptops based on the SXE are cheaper than Apple's, with roughly comparable quality, then in some ways it *is* fair to compare the SXE to the base M3. On their track record... I don't think they will.

And that's probably not important to them anyway - their real competition is other windows laptops. How that plays out will depend on both price and how well WoA runs. We shall see.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Correct me if I’m wrong, but when has the iPad EVER had the most advanced SOC when the iPhone (and now Mac) hasn’t?

I thought that rumor was VERY far-fetched, but… the M4 iPad Pro is real. Was there an issue with getting the M3 into it? Thermal problem? Battery?
A4 and A5 was the last time that an iPad got a new architecture before the iPhone - a while ago :)

Reactions: progx and NetMage

alf89

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Since we are not seeing Thunderbolt 5 or Wi-Fi 7 on the iPad with M4 here, I assume it would be safe to conclude that any device (e.g., Studio, MacBook Pro) coming out in the next 12 months or so with an M4 chip would also not have these given the SoC design? So earliest implementation of T5 and Wi-Fi 7 would be M5?

MacATDBB

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Michigan
When the M3 came out, Apple mostly compared it to the M1. Now the M4 comes out and Apple mostly compare it to the M2. I'm not saying that apple are being disingenuous here, but Apple appear to be being disingenuous here.

Reactions: Luposian

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
When the M3 came out, Apple mostly compared it to the M1. Now the M4 comes out and Apple mostly compare it to the M2. I'm not saying that apple are being disingenuous here, but Apple appear to be being disingenuous here.
That's a lousy argument. We've been through this already.

It's not like they're hiding what the comparisons points are. In this case it's blindingly obvious what's going on as there is no M3 iPad. As for the M3, their point was that they don't expect most users of M2s to upgrade to M3s. But for M1 users, in many cases, it's a reasonable value proposition.

Would I like lots more hard data on the M series chips? Definitely! But Apple has actually been pretty clear about the few numbers they provide, and experience has generally supported those numbers. Sometimes they even turn out to be conservative.

MacATDBB

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Michigan
It's not like they're hiding what the comparisons points are.

Absolutely, plain as day, the M3 was 2.5x faster than the ... ?
In this case it's blindingly obvious what's going on as there is no M3 iPad

My post and Apple's M4 slide were comparing SoCs not iPads.

their point was that they don't expect most users of M2s to upgrade to M3s. But for M1 users, in many cases, it's a reasonable value proposition

And it just happens to make the speed-up look better and quite hard to compare to the previous generation. But you stick to your opinion and Apple will no-doubt have some ocean-front property in Kansas for you soon.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Because you clearly know absolutely nothing about chips. That's ludicrous. Just google for "apple m3 die shot" and do a few minutes of reading.

...at least, the pro/max part is ridiculous. The MBA M4 having more cores is highly unlikely, though maybe a little less crazy- we'll know if we get a die shot of the M4. It wouldn't make sense though - it doesn't help with product segmentation, and fusing off cores in the iPad is pointless and even counterproductive (except for segmentation *within* the pad product line).

Since you clearly know more about binning chips than I do, you know that chips get binned for lots of reasons, like when they don’t run at the rated speed, or require more power to get there. Not just bad cores. A pretty much every chip gets binned some way. These chips will go into iPads, these chips will go into macbook airs, ”what about these? they are quite horrible” “put them in a HomePod” don’t waste anything.

They could have the same number of working cores and be binned as a lessor chip.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
No.
Options are:
4P + 5E or
4P + 6E .
WRONG
IMG_3560.jpeg

Reactions: Aries79

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
How bad has it gotten? Mine still seems pretty close to original capacity in terms of how long a charge lasts (also M1 iPad Pro, 2020). But I haven’t been tracking it to see whether it has degraded (it must have to some degree, being 4 years old!).
Playing games i get about 2 hours. 3 maaaaaaybe 4 watching YouTube videos.. still works great if i just use it plugged in lol.. I‘ve pretty much ditched my laptop and this is my daily driver so it’s worth the upgrade seeing as how this is a 2021 model and it’s really a 3 generation jump in processor. I have decided I don’t need to go max with the 1TB this time though, looking back, that was overkill.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Confused-User

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2014
And it just happens to make the speed-up look better and quite hard to compare to the previous generation. But you stick to your opinion and Apple will no-doubt have some ocean-front property in Kansas for you soon.
Right, because basic algebra is soooo challenging.

M3/M1 speedup = X
M2/M1 speedup = Y

M3/M2 speedup = X/Y [because (M3/M1)/(M2/M1) multiplied by M1/M1 = M3/M2]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.