Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are widespread reports of Apple users being locked out of their Apple ID overnight for no apparent reason, requiring a password reset before they can log in again.

apple-id-account.jpg

Users say the sudden inexplicable Apple ID sign-out is occurring across multiple devices. When they attempt to sign in again they are locked out of their account and asked to reset their password in order to regain access.

This has led to additional Apple ID issues for users with Stolen Device Protection enabled who are away from a trusted location, as well as any app-specific passwords previously set up in iCloud also being reset.

As noted by 9to5Mac, user reports about the problem began appearing on social media at around 8 p.m. Eastern Time and became increasingly prevalent into the early hours of the morning.

MacRumors staff members have also been affected by the service outage, which does not appear to have been picked up by Apple's own System Status webpage.

We have contacted Apple for comment and will update readers if we hear back. Have you been affected by the Apple ID issue? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple ID Accounts Logging Out Users and Requiring Password Reset

Last edited:

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Yup, happened to me just around midnight British summer time. Even interrupted a movie I was watching on my Apple TV. Had to do a full password reset and re-login on all devices plus generate app specific password. It even seems to have deleted my account recovery keys which I had to regenerate.

Very worrying at the time as I thought my account was under attack! Maybe it was, or maybe Apple’s infrastructure was being attacked. Looking forward to hearing a proper explanation. Only one out of three of my Apple IDs was affected and none of my family seems to have been affected.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Same issue here on all our family accounts and having changed the passwords for two of them, they don't seem to be synching on other devices correctly so various services are unavailable and am getting different password-related errors on different machines and applications.

Some seem to be working on the old passwords, some have the new passwords. Some apps are ok, other apps won't let me do anything but there's no consistency unfortunately. Its a bit of a mess at the moment.

For example, I changed the password on my account a couple of hours ago. Seemed to be ok on my phone, but my laptop isn't recognising it so I can't access iCloud or any services on that device just now. Music, photos, emails etc all unaccessible despite the correct password being entered.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
My Apple ID is one of the old MobileMe ("@me.com") addresses. Wondering if it is something to do with this as my partner and other family members had no issue, but had iCloud accounts created much later on.

Can anyone else confirm if their affected Apple ID is a @me.com address?

Mine is. And I'm the only one in my family that had the issue.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Argh... forgot about the app specific passwords. So Fantastical is broken for starters....

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My Apple ID is one of the old MobileMe ("@me.com") addresses. Wondering if it is something to do with this as my partner and other family members had no issue, but had iCloud accounts created much later on.

Still have a me address and thankfully no issue here as I am at my parents this weekend. Would have been a real pain in the ass. (Germany)

Reactions: Pearl Wisdom

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Can confirm.

Though this happened to my *****@mac.com address last week.

1. Locked out.
  2. Asked to reset password.
  3. Unable to reset password.
  4. An error has occured.
Aaaargh! Over and over again. Tried @mac.com… no luck. Tried @icloud.com… no luck.

Frustrating. I spent several hours over 3 days with a very nice Irish chap from Apple trying to sort it out, but no one could get to the bottom of it… and then *bing* suddenly, with no changes it worked…

Very odd. And annoying.

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021
This happened when I woke up around 9am AEST Saturday in Australia, my Apple account is an @me, and it forced me to change my password to reactivate iCloud.

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021

I was.

Reactions: lars666

User_2019

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Up early in the US. It happened to me last evening and I just kept hitting cancel on every device (phone, computer, apple tv, watch) . So far I haven't reset. I've got an old .mac address and am the head of a family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.