Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
My account is also a @.mac one. This seems to be a possible common factor, along with @.me ones.

Anyone with an account not @.mac or @.me been affected?

I'm the only one with a @mac.com account in my family and I was the only one affected. This seems to be one of the commonalities of this issue. I was in a movie theater when this happened and when the movie was over and I entered my password it told me my account was locked for security reasons. Naturally I became concerned that someone was attacking my account.

Reactions: arkitect

MoxFulder

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Had the same this morning (@me.com Apple ID) in Switzerland. Wife‘s @icloud.com not affected. Sorted it out by reactivating and changing password. Just now tried to buy an app in app store and was prompted to re-enter password, and then re-enter credit card ccv number for payment. Purchase went through after that.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
My Apple ID is one of the old MobileMe ("@me.com") addresses. Wondering if it is something to do with this as my partner and other family members had no issue, but had iCloud accounts created much later on.

Can anyone else confirm if their affected Apple ID is a @me.com address?
I’ve got an older account and was not impacted by this.

Reactions: Böhme417

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Don't companies do that when they've been hacked?

Their systems probably think they've hacked themselves as a comical consequence of whatever changes are afoot regarding the Apple Account name change. That would be my first bet. Perhaps they're consolidating @me etc. and this is a consequence.

Or something went wrong testing the feds' encryption backdoor...

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Has anyone encountered this on an iCloud custom domain yet?

I keep my icloud email address secret and use only an iCloud custom domain for my public email.

I can't find any cases where it was reported that isn't a publicly used @icloud.com / @me.com / @mac.com address for the end user. That would suggest a credential stuffing attack.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Had it this morning after I’d left home (for a flight) - irritating and took a good 30 mins to put right, with stolen device protection on. No announcement or explanation from Apple, which I would have expected, but all working again now.

I have an @me account.

mrmagoo101

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
Happened to me. Wife is still sleeping so won’t know until she gets up.

Funny thing was: I could receive iMessages but not send.

Glad I wasn’t the only one!

Update: Wife is fine she doesn’t think she has an @me.com, mine was on an @me.com account.

Last edited:

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hopefully they resolved the issue but it looks like the damage was done. Large amount of people affected all at once, and lots don’t even know yet as it’s only 6:30AM (Eastern) here in the US. People will be waking up soon to lots of messages about this.

And Apple doesn’t seem ready to even acknowledge there is/was an issue as their system status page is clean for AppleID/Login status though there was some (probably minor) issue with iMessage & FaceTime yesterday. It’s a safe bet we won’t hear/see anything official until AFTER 8/9AM(Pacific) here in the US, which is still @ 3 hours away.

Luckily I don’t have an @me or @Mac address, which seems to be affected primarily, but the issue does make me nervous about enabling stolen device protection. (I have been meaning to do it but hadn’t gotten around to it yet.)

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpeg
    IMG_0063.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 66

Zc456

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
And in less than two weeks before their upcoming event. Did someone mess up an upgrade?

DarkLuke

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Same problems here in Europe/Austria with a very old @Mac.com ID. Hoping for some updates from Apple soon!

Reactions: nemex

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
At this point Apple is getting a reputation for poor reliability across its services

What are some other examples?

I no longer use much Apple stuff myself, but I still keep an eye on Apple news out of curiosity and because I'm default tech support for some family members who do use Apple stuff. I haven't really noticed any developing reputation for poor reliability.

Reactions: KENESS and heretiq

Ridge Racer

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2007
I also had to re-create all my App-Specific Passwords, make a new iCloud Recovery Key and log back in to iMessage on all devices.

dmiannay

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
This happened to me 2 weeks ago. Was perplexing. All I could think was that Apple had detected someone trying to hack my account. In any event, all was well after the password reset. And it did not happen to my wife... so, yea, seems a bit random.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Happened to us last night in the middle of Netflix on Apple TV. Refused to let us finish the show than put me on a one-hour delay for some reason. Aggravating...

The Apple Bitch

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2024
And Apple doesn’t seem ready to even acknowledge there is/was an issue as their system status page is clean for AppleID/Login status ...

The fact that everyone received these messages and were locked out probably implies that the system is operational. Apple will probably go out with an explanation for this later.

Reactions: Lizzard899

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Strange, I’ve got a very old @Mac/@me/@mobileme account and have 5 different devices all setup with my iCloud account, and even tried restarting a couple to confirm, but I’m all good. 👍 Not impacted by this. So it’s definitely not ALL of these type of accounts (old).

I feel for those of you impacted by this. Such a huge PITA to deal with.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Something is clearly broken, and it's not very impressive that the status page is still pleading ignorance several hours later when it's clearly a major incident.

Don't forget this is the company that, to knowledge at least, never did make a statement regarding macOS Ventura users being force-upgraded to Sonoma. Not attempting to draw a comparison between the two events but nothing should surprise us with Apple going forward. It's been clear for a while, to me anyway, that they are now a heady combination of incompetence and bad faith decision making. Hopefully we'll see an explanation on this one but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Last edited:

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
Honestly letting passwords expire after x amount of years, kind of is a good idea. But the execution could've been a bit better.

Edit: my account is not affected. (me . com)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: System603
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.