Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadlock

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
This has happened to me twice when trying to Authorise a purchase on my Son's phone. For some reason the "approve" message from Family Sharing didn't work so tried enter my password on his phone at the prompt and immediately got a "you account is locked" message.

Worst part is that my devices wouldn't recognise that the account was locked and I needed to try and log on to iCloud.com before I could start the new password process. On at least one of the occasions Stolen Device Protection didn't recognise that I was at home.

I also primarily use the .mac variant of my account. Steve promised "one address for life" and I'm holding to that

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Another week, another Apple service fault. Really REALLY not good enough. And if they have been hacked again then they have an obligation to inform their customers.

At this point Apple is getting a reputation for poor reliability across its services. People will start looking at alternatives.
I'll beat on Apple whenever it's necessary to do so but I'm not sure I can agree with everything you said. The highlighted section though I cannot argue with. Not even for a second.
That said, maybe they are in the process of putting together the detail for such an announcement?

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
This happened to me tonight during a family dinner I was hosting. I was using my Apple TV to stream Apple Music via AirPlay and then EVERYTHING (nine total devices) was booted out of iCloud. Wife’s and kids’ devices were fine. I thought my account was being attacked in real time. Given the recent password-reset hacks, I thought I was a victim.

I solved it by resetting my Apple ID password, using 2FA direct from Apple on one of my other devices.

*HOWEVER*, I was also receiving SMS codes to reset my account during this time, which I absolutely wasn‘t going to risk using and seemed odd to me. Maybe they were legit, but I wasn’t going to follow that road with anything less than 100% certainty.

ETA: My account is an old mac.com account, before MobileMe. Wife and kids are iCloud.com accounts.

calmdonut

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2024
Happened to me as well. Got logged out from all of my devices, and trying to reauthenticate gives out server errors. Cannot relogin from any device or the web. I went through couple levels of apple support, but no help from there.

Also tried disabling the stolen device protection, that did not help with the issue.

EDIT: My apple id is also a mac.com account. I'm the head of the family. Other family members were not booted out.

Reactions: arkitect

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I suspect this is also linked to the fact that my @mac.com address has not been available to send emails from. I have to re-enter it in Mail settings about three times in last week.

dredlew

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Japan
Would also be nice if they finally axed the ridiculous AppleID modal… ugh! :mad:

Apple wants me to use a secure password? Sure, it’s a 30 character randomly generated password saved in my password manager. And they expect me to type that into the modal from memory? No? Yet, there is no password manager integration and I can’t switch to another app since the modal blocks any other operation until I cancel the modal. Only then can I switch to the password manager, copy the password and go prompt the AppleID modal again to finally paste it in.

Who came up with that UX nonsense? :rolleyes:

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
IMG_3740.jpeg
I woke up to this, but my wife is ok 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe they have been hacked, who knows and as a precaution they initiated this mass lockout. But why some devices tho? I don’t use mac or me email as my Apple ID.

Some people here overdramatise. 💩 happens. Password changed. All good.

Last edited:

Ormolu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2019
Europe
One more European with a longstanding account (.mac) saying that it happened to me while travelling — complete with "An error has occurred", which luckily cleared itself. Very glad I hadn't got around to enabling Stolen Device Protection.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I'll beat on Apple whenever it's necessary to do so but I'm not sure I can agree with everything you said. The highlighted section though I cannot argue with. Not even for a second.
That said, maybe they are in the process of putting together the detail for such an announcement?

Normally a company would make an announcement first then require users to change passwords. This seems like just 'another' Apple services fault.

Skjetne

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Oslo, Norway
My Apple ID is one of the old MobileMe ("@me.com") addresses. Wondering if it is something to do with this as my partner and other family members had no issue, but had iCloud accounts created much later on.

Can anyone else confirm if their affected Apple ID is a @me.com address?
I have @me as well.

Did anyone else lose their stickers? All of mine dissapeared

• Wow
Reactions: aonez

JamesRubin

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
New York
My Apple ID is one of the old MobileMe ("@me.com") addresses. Wondering if it is something to do with this as my partner and other family members had no issue, but had iCloud accounts created much later on.

Can anyone else confirm if their affected Apple ID is a @me.com address?
Yes, I have a me.com Apple ID. All my devices affected from the oldest to the newest. I began responding, then I stopped for fear of a phishing incident. I look forward to Apple's explanation. I bet their phone lines are jammed.

Felis

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2022
One more European with a longstanding account (.mac) saying that it happened to me while travelling — complete with "An error has occurred", which luckily cleared itself. Very glad I hadn't got around to enabling Stolen Device Protection.
Yes. Same thing with .me account.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I saw something on screen about requiring to login to iCloud (I couldn't see properly as just woke up). Entered password and it said account was locked so I presumed I had entered my password incorrectly. It asked me to verify on another device so I went to my Watch, which then asked me to verify on another device so I got up to go to my Mac. This then asked me to verify on my iPhone! I checked Apple status page and there was nothing so presumed someone was trying to access my account and signed out of all devices.

Reactions: arkitect

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Super suspicious. If this happens to me, and I'm able, I think I will call them before carrying out any reset procedures. Rather a locked account than an unlocked account in the wrong hands.

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
IMG_3742.jpeg

Guys can you download apps from the AppStore?

This one’s been stuck loading 🤔 in fact I can’t download any app.

Again my wife can download fine 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.