Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
me.com address here--my account was "locked" this morning when I tried to access iCloud.com, and it had me enter questions to unlock it, but no password change required. This has happened once a month for the lat 4-5 months for me. I get a bit scared that it is getting locked because of an attack, but then I recall that I have 2FA on and the only time I ever get the prompt to allow a login is when it's me logging in, so who knows what it is.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
I wonder if they reset passwords for people who had passwords with low security.

😂 I would love to have been in that meeting.

“Hey, I have an idea. Let’s arbitrarily set a security threshold and unilaterally disable accounts of those who don’t meet or exceed it. Now, keep this a secret and spring it on people when they least expect it. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention this part…don’t respond to media requests for comment. Ok? That’s it. What’s next on the agenda?”

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I disagree. When major outlets like Forbes, 9to5Mac, AppleInsider, The Verge, and Mashable are reporting it Apple ought to acknowledge the reports and say they are investigating. It is the very least they could do. But no, they apparently feel they owe their loyal consumers nothing. This is audacity Apple has become.

Exactly. Their silence is pointed. This is obviously some sort of bug that happened on Apple’s servers. They should at the very least make a statement about it.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
It maybe related to the recent password reset loophole that was closed by Apple. Sounds like another bug exploitation maybe.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

ticzon

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
When the original Macintosh was being developed, Steve Jobs insisted that OS engineering had to go back and work on the code to decrease the boot time: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/whiteboard-technique-steve-jobs-mark-edwards/

Can you imagine how much time has been wasted by Apple user because of this login error (thousands of minutes X #of users with iCloud accounts)? I'm sure Jobs would had hunted down the responsible parties for this error and got rid of them.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024

“Hey, I have an idea. Let’s arbitrarily set a security threshold and unilaterally disable accounts of those who don’t meet or exceed it. Now, keep this a secret and spring it on people when they least expect it. Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention this part…don’t respond to media requests for comment. Ok? That’s it. What’s next on the agenda?”
I'm pretty sure this is exactly how it went down. Probably verbatim, too.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I disagree. When major outlets like Forbes, 9to5Mac, AppleInsider, The Verge, and Mashable are reporting it Apple ought to acknowledge the reports and say they are investigating. It is the very least they could do. But no, they apparently feel they owe their loyal consumers nothing. This is audacity Apple has become.
Or something very very bad could have happened and legal/intrusion teams have circled the wagons. Knee Jerk Apple bad has gotten so boring on MR. We might not ever know.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Apple will have had some time to investigate the possible problem(s) and then respond accordingly. That is much more logical than saying they are aware some have been having problems with their Apple ID and saying no more.

As frustrating as it has been for some over the weekend, it doesn't affect everyone and it is certainly not an emergency.

• Wow
Reactions: SidricTheViking

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This kind of thing rarely ever happens and people make a way bigger deal out of it than it needs to be, especially here. People are extraordinarily overdramatic.
Nothing "over-dramatic" about it. Larger and larger portions of our lives are tied up in systems like this. There are situations where getting locked out of your iCloud account could mean being stranded and not being able to contact anyone, access one's calendar or contacts. That seems like a pretty big ****ing deal, yeah? And the fact that it rarely happens? Really comforting if you're the one who has several thousand dollars worth of Apple equipment turn into bricks.

As others have pointed out, this kind of thing should be a wakeup call to have some kind of backup plans in place in the event [insert cloud service here] goes out of commission, your account gets hacked, or the service just glitches and locks you out.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

LOL.
Recently some companies have frozen user accounts. When they logged in, they will be asked to change their password and/or enabling MFA to be able to continue.
As you mentioned above, this would have need to be notified to the users before and after implementing this measure.

So in this case we don’t really know what happened and why.

Reactions: GrayFlannel

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It’s comforting (…?) to know it wasn’t just me, I suppose.
It is a little comforting, because the fact that it's this widespread means Apple has to deal with it somehow. If it was just you or me, we could well be screwed into spending god knows how long trying to sort it out, all the while dealing with non-functional devices and services (which we've paid handsomely for, I might add).

dipan

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
Nothing "over-dramatic" about it. Larger and larger portions of our lives are tied up in systems like this. There are situations where getting locked out of your iCloud account could mean being stranded and not being able to contact anyone, access one's calendar or contacts. That seems like a pretty big ****ing deal, yeah? And the fact that it rarely happens? Really comforting if you're the one who has several thousand dollars worth of Apple equipment turn into bricks.

As others have pointed out, this kind of thing should be a wakeup call to have some kind of backup plans in place in the event [insert cloud service here] goes out of commission, your account gets hacked, or the service just glitches and locks you out.
This is me. I am a professional (doctor) and rely on my email for everything! I can’t change that right away but I am seriously considering dumping the apple ecosystem because of this. I have no access to my emails and the “validation” methods apple expects is for me to have a recovery person (I don’t), verify my account through email (how TF is that possible when I am locked out of my account including email), or remembering a previous (not current) apple mastercard number. How many of you have that written down somewhere? Such BS. And they can “do nothing”. My only recourse is to log into iforgot.apple.com exactly 24 hrs after completing (and failing) their silly recovery process. And then Inwill be notified that I can unlock my account in 2-14 DAYS!

Let me be clear, I have 2FA enabled and normally that would work but they are clearly having server issues.

Again, most of you have not had issues with this lockout and were able to unlock or change your password. But there are others like me that are basically being screwed.

I won’t forget this Apple!

Last edited:

TJFDenver

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2024
if I’m E2E encrypted, what data of mine could a hacker meaningfully see?

My data only has meaning to those that have my private key (which is only me)

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
This just happened to me ... again.

giphy.gif

Apple really needs to say something. Fortunately, I just needed to reset the password again. Some of you are having much worse issues.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
This is me. I am a professional (doctor) and rely on my email for everything! I can’t change that right away but I am seriously considering dumping the apple ecosystem because of this. I have no access to my emails and the “validation” methods apple expects is for me to have a recovery person (I don’t), verify my account through email (how TF is that possible when I am locked out of my account including email), or remembering a previous (not current) apple mastercard number. How many of you have that written down somewhere? Such BS. And they can “do nothing”. My only recourse is to log into iforgot.apple.com exactly 24 hrs after completing (and failing) their silly recovery process. And then Inwill be notified that I can unlock my account in 2-14 DAYS!

Let me be clear, I have 2FA enabled and normally that would work but they are clearly having server issues.

Again, most of you have not had issues with this lockout and were able to unlock or change your password. But there are others like me that are basically being screwed.

I won’t forget this Apple!

I agree that there’s a server side issue. It took several attempts when I was first promoted to change passwords to unlock my account. It failed to do two factor authentication a couple times and a couple more times the process quit out of nowhere and went back to step one. But once I was actually able to change passwords and get it authenticated via my iPad it was “just” a matter of logging out of my other devices and logging back in with the new password.

Now, none of this is acceptable and the process I described did lead to some weird downstream consequences like the invalidation of any app specific passwords I was using. So even more time was required to get back up to speed.

Apple needs to address this first thing tomorrow.

Reactions: Morod

MammothMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2022
I’ve not seen anything here that mentions what also happened to me. I got the “sign in to iCloud” issue with all of my devices and had to reset my password, but along with this my Apple Cash card was hosed. Wouldn’t verify. And in my Wallet I had an icon inviting me to turn on Apple Cash. An ugly icon of a dollar sign. I could be wrong, certainly, but the icon looked far too ugly to be an Apple one. I clicked the “x” on it and deleted it, and then removed Apple Cash from the Wallet on my devices. Added it again and it verified, but then turned it off (because I don’t use it anyway).
It seemed like a card theft attack to me, unless someone tells me that the ugly dollar sign logo was legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.