Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
Happened to me too friday night.

At first I thought it was someone trying to hack the account.

I had to reset and do all apple TVs, HomePods, watch etc and then it was ok.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
This just happened to me ... again.

giphy.gif

Apple really needs to say something. Fortunately, I just needed to reset the password again. Some of you are having much worse issues.
Just to understand, if it is possible, what's going on with Apple Brain
The first time you changed your pass did you just add something to the old one or did you use a completely different password? Asking that because if it is Siri/AI/ or computer calculation in charge maybe it didn't notice a big difference and wanted you to change it again.
If not it's randomly stupid from Apple to poke users this way

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
Just to understand, if it is possible, what's going on with Apple Brain
The first time you changed your pass did you just add something to the old one or did you use a completely different password? Asking that because if it is Siri/AI/ or computer calculation in charge maybe it didn't notice a big difference and wanted you to change it again.
If not it's randomly stupid from Apple to poke on users this way
It's a completely different password.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Hopefully now more people are realising that New Apple doesn't give a crap about its customers.
I doubt they'll say anything until they know what is wrong. Better to be silent than confirm incompetence (or what impatient customers will infer is incompetence). I wonder if they are under cyber-attack, but in any case it sounds like a mess. Glad I am OK so far but I have an old account so...

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I doubt they'll say anything until they know what is wrong. Better to be silent than confirm incompetence (or what impatient customers will infer is incompetence). I wonder if they are under cyber-attack, but in any case it sounds like a mess. Glad I am OK so far but I have an old account so...

I would agree in principle but affected users should at least receive some assurance that Apple are even aware of a problem and are investigating it. As things stand right now it's 100% stonewall denial as far as I can see. And many users are reporting still being locked out. Unacceptable in my estimation but obviously you're entitled to disagree 👍

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would agree in principle but affected users should at least receive some assurance that Apple are even aware of a problem and are investigating it. As things stand right now it's 100% stonewall denial as far as I can see. And many users are reporting still being locked out. Unacceptable in my estimation but obviously you're entitled to disagree 👍
Apple is aware. There is no way for Apple not to be aware. Not telling you something as soon as you expect it doesn't equate to denial. Denial would be Apple saying there hasn't been a problem for any users in relation to user accounts and their servers.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
This is me. I am a professional (doctor) and rely on my email for everything! I can’t change that right away but I am seriously considering dumping the apple ecosystem because of this. I have no access to my emails and the “validation” methods apple expects is for me to have a recovery person (I don’t), verify my account through email (how TF is that possible when I am locked out of my account including email), or remembering a previous (not current) apple mastercard number. How many of you have that written down somewhere? Such BS. And they can “do nothing”. My only recourse is to log into iforgot.apple.com exactly 24 hrs after completing (and failing) their silly recovery process. And then Inwill be notified that I can unlock my account in 2-14 DAYS!

Let me be clear, I have 2FA enabled and normally that would work but they are clearly having server issues.

Again, most of you have not had issues with this lockout and were able to unlock or change your password. But there are others like me that are basically being screwed
I won’t forget this Apple!
Ok so I get your frustration but if you are a professional (doctor) perhaps you need to use a company email instead of iCloud.com. Then you can always get your emails. (Unless of course THAT server has a glitch too) Then well who knows. Maybe a beeper.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Almost the end of the day, Pacific US time, and still not fixed. New password has now synced to the Mac App Store at least, so I can download updates, but App Specific passwords still won't accept it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Apple is aware. There is no way for Apple not to be aware. Not telling you something as soon as you expect it doesn't equate to denial. Denial would be Apple saying there hasn't been a problem for any users in relation to user accounts and their servers.

They should have made a statement about it by now. I don’t see rationalizations as a legitimate explanation of their silence.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Ok so I get your frustration but if you are a professional (doctor) perhaps you need to use a company email instead of iCloud.com. Then you can always get your emails. (Unless of course THAT server has a glitch too) Then well who knows. Maybe a beeper.

My partner is a doctor. She has several email addresses. But that is not an excuse for Apple’s password process being broken. It’s on them to provide a reliable service, not on the consumer to have several others to back Apple’s up.

Reactions: Morod and katbel

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
My partner is a doctor. She has several email addresses. But that is not an excuse for Apple’s password process being broken. It’s on them to provide a reliable service, not on the consumer to have several others to back Apple’s up.
Oh no not saying its ok that this is happening or making excuses for Apple. And not saying that anyone needs a backup for Apple. Just that a professional perhaps should be using their business email server and not relying on iCloud.com that is tied to their iPhone ID if their email is that important. However any service can and will have issues from time to time. It happens.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh no not saying its ok that this is happening or making excuses for Apple. And not saying that anyone needs a backup for Apple. Just that a professional perhaps should be using their business email server and not relying on iCloud.com that is tied to their iPhone ID if their email is that important. However any service can and will have issues from time to time. It happens.

In many cases the “business email” is just Gmail. So the idea that it’s somehow better than what Apple is offering seems questionable. Most companies don’t maintain their own email servers anymore.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
In many cases the “business email” is just Gmail. So the idea that it’s somehow better than what Apple is offering seems questionable. Most companies don’t maintain their own email servers anymore.
Correct (on the gmail) and MS exchange is really popular as well, probably more so. BUT if either of their email goes down people are jumping through hoops to get it back up. I would never put iCloud.com in the same category as Exchange but you are welcome to your opinion. And their email is not down, but the ID to access it is so this email conversation is moot. Either way Apple never seems really concerned if iCloud bugs out for whatever reason. And it seems to a lot. It was just an observation/statement. I personally would never rely on Apple for getting mission critical email. Seems that since this all started Friday and today is Monday and not a word about it sorta proves my point. Anyway carry on.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
So the idea that it’s somehow better than what Apple is offering seems questionable.
Funny. Just realized you started off accusing me of giving Apple a pass. Then when I responded that I wasn’t and suggested why they didn’t need one, you defended them. 🤣

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
This just happened to my wife. Her Apple Watch 6 kept resetting itself so we decided to unpair and restore from backup. Just as the started the restore process her phone posted a notice saying that her Apple ID was locked. She unlocked it with her phone, but was told that since she is in an unfamiliar location (our condo which we visit five days a month), she'd have to wait an hour and then reset her password.

If you're ever done this before you know what a huge and time consuming hassle this is.

[edit] Yes, her's is a .Mac account as is mine. No reset request to me, yet.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple is aware. There is no way for Apple not to be aware.

Well yes. That is my point. It's not beyond the wit of man for them to at least contact affected customers directly and assure them that this non-trivial security scare is being investigated. Yet here we are. Total silence.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Update on my previous post where my wife was told that she'd have to change her password after waiting an hour because we were not in a familiar location.

About 30 minutes in to the hour wait she was asked again to enter her password and trusted(?) phone number. She did and her account was immediately unlocked with no word about the location and no need to change the password.

This is messed up.

LeMo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2020
LeMo, what ‘was there’ in Settings?
There was an alert on my account/ID at the top as is typical when there is an actionable item waiting for attention.

I did not want to respond to a pop-up as it seems scams are becoming more sophisticated and I don't want to do anything on an unexpected pop-up, no matter that Apple devices are fairly well ringfenced.

Frankly, Apple seems to have goofed. Some CI or change got wild and hello world is out there....

Reactions: Surf Monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.