Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
This rings more and more hollow:

They have about a dozen pages touting their “advanced security assurance” across both hardware and software extending from device to server.

So what gives? Apple experiences what appears on the user side to be a massive password breach of some kind, requiring countless Apple customers to reset their Apple IDs (several times in many cases) and says literally NOTHING about it.

Does that seem like a “commitment to security” to you?

dipan

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
4 days later for me. Again, I’m a middle aged professional (doctor with an og apple account for over 20 years (.mac)). While I am “grateful” that it is apparently my “privilege” to unlock my appleid after “only” 2 days (that is not until tomorrow day 5) I am working towards ending my apple affiliation. I won’t speak for the rest of my family, and will keep my icloud account for them because I am the founding member of a family account for 6, I certainly vow to no longer EVER buy an apple (lower case on purpose) product again.

I will continue to run an apple email as long as it takes me to transition to something (don’t care what it is) else. Then my spouse can take over bead of (stupid apple supporting) household.

Sorry for the rant but I have had google, ms, yahoo, and proton emails, mostly for as long as I’ve had apple email, and none have caused me this much grief. I don't give a $@&% about the rest of apple services but I care about email, and expecting me to be without my primary email for 5 says is beyond ridiculous. I’m out.

davige

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Here's a reassuring response:

1714510035724.png

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
The current mess aside, when is the multi-day password reset delay designed to kick in?

I know if you have stolen device protection enabled there is supposed to be a password reset delay if away from trusted location, but I understand that should be an hour rather than multi-day. So under what circumstance is this multi-day reset delay designed to kick in?

Reactions: LlamaLarry

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
All of you folks suffering multiple iterations of this -- do you have .me or .mac accounts associated with the iCloud account and have you tried removing them? I have a .me and I'm debating removing it but I'm afraid to do anything until Apple fesses up.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
All of you folks suffering multiple iterations of this -- do you have .me or .mac accounts associated with the iCloud account and have you tried removing them? I have a .me and I'm debating removing it but I'm afraid to do anything until Apple fesses up.
No, I have a regular @icloud.com account. It has nothing to do with the domain.

Reactions: Morod

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

I have a @Mac address but I also have @me and @icloud all pointing to the same account. The password reset only hit once (so far) but it failed to work the first couple times. Once it went through there were no further issues beyond having to log out and back into every Apple device I own.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
No, I have a regular @icloud.com account. It has nothing to do with the domain.
You don’t know that. It’s a point against that theory for sure, but until Apple provides details, nobody knows. Sure seems to be a common thread not just here but on other sites.

And I’m not referring to the login account I’m referring to any .me account associated at all. Mine is an alias.

I’m leaning towards they reset weak passwords — when I changed my login email a few weeks ago it complained my password wasn’t strong enough, but I let it go for now because I wasn’t making two changes at once.

Probably just further proof of what we’ve all known for 20 years — Apple sucks at anything cloud.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

bikepunkt

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024
4 days later for me. Again, I’m a middle aged professional (doctor with an og apple account for over 20 years (.mac))…
Same for me, .mac from long ago. Although I haven’t been hit with the password reset issue, I do have what I think is a related problem.

I was running the beta OS on my iPad to test something, and decided to go back to the current OS by wiping it and installing via IPSW from my Mac, as I have done dozens of times. Getting it restored was no problem, but I could not get it to completely sign into my iCloud account after trying 12 times over the course of several days. Each time I was left with a broken system sort of half logged into iCloud with no services, no email, no files but it would show up as one of my devices.

I eventually gave up after contemplating creating a new iCloud account so I could at least use the thing, but decided I didn’t care that much anymore as I am about done with apple.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
You don’t know that. It’s a point against that theory for sure, but until Apple provides details, nobody knows. Sure seems to be a common thread not just here but on other sites.

And I’m not referring to the login account I’m referring to any .me account associated at all. Mine is an alias.

I’m leaning towards they reset weak passwords — when I changed my login email a few weeks ago it complained my password wasn’t strong enough, but I let it go for now because I wasn’t making two changes at once.

Probably just further proof of what we’ve all known for 20 years — Apple sucks at anything cloud.
I do know that. I don't have .mac or .me account at all and this happened to me twice. I didn't have a weak password either. You can keep weirdly wanting the .mac/.me thing to be the reason, but it's not going to be the reason.

Reactions: Morod

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I do know that. I don't have .mac or .me account at all and this happened to me twice. I didn't have a weak password either. You can keep weirdly wanting the .mac/.me thing to be the reason, but it's not going to be the reason.
Good for you. Have a super day.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
I have a @Mac address but I also have @me and @icloud all pointing to the same account. The password reset only hit once (so far) but it failed to work the first couple times. Once it went through there were no further issues beyond having to log out and back into every Apple device I own.
I have a me, icloud is the main, an outlook, and a gmail. Only one reset so far. My first change took but I was getting duplicate warnings about new devices associated with the account. I did not have to re-sign in on everything. My password is not weak but whatever dimwitted and out of date algorithm Apple uses to determine that felt that it was borderline. Password is not used on any other site. Password *is* used for a couple AppleId’s and none of those flaked. 2FA on all the things and has been for years, only thing I don’t have turned on is Advanced Data Protection because I don’t trust them, was waiting another month after the userid change before I turned it on. I had trusted location on but that’s now off.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Just now I got an alert about a new device added to my account /devices in Settings
I checked and there are all my devices, nothing suspicious, but before I noticed some were missing
Maybe Apple is still working on the matter.

crankypants

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2014
Just now I got an alert about a new device added to my account /devices in Settings
I checked and there are all my devices, nothing suspicious, but before I noticed some were missing
Maybe Apple is still working on the matter.
I had that on a few devices for a few days after my reset Friday night.

rurounihana

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Well Apple stocks are now almost 2% further down in less than 2 hours. That should maybe wake them up, or is Apple too proud to admit that their security isn't perfect? Apple ID is an essential account for Apple's customers, but Apple doesn't seem to care. If Apple got hacked, just admit it, then we can move on from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.