Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Where exactly is this 10.0.2 update? Not seeing it on my Ultra. Tried all the usual things to get it to load. (toggling on/off, beta on/off, etc.)

Nothing, running 10.0.01

DrBubba

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011

Apple on Tuesday offered two potential fixes for the recently reported Apple Watch issue where watch face Weather complications fail to load data.

weather-complications.jpg

Apple Watch owners have been complaining of malfunctioning Weather complications since the launch of watchOS 10, with both the initial launch and watchOS 10.0.1 affected. Those impacted are seeing a blank reading where the weather data should be, but tapping into the Weather app shows the expected information.

In a new support document titled "If the Apple Watch Weather complication isn't working," Apple suggests users affected by the issue try the following:
Reset iPhone Settings

1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap Privacy & Security -> Location Services.
  2. Scroll down and tap Weather.
  3. Under Allow Location Access, tap Never, then tap your original setting.
  4. Check whether the issue is resolved.
If weather data still doesn't load, Apple suggests trying these steps:
  1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.
  2. Tap Reset -> Reset Location & Privacy.
  3. If prompted, enter your passcode and reset.
Apple on Tuesday also released a new watchOS 10.0.2 update, which was initially thought to resolve the Weather complication issue, but it seems that a number of users did not see any permanent resolution after updating.

Did either of Apple's suggested fixes work for you? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple Suggests Potential Fixes for Weather Complication Bug on Apple Watch
Nope - didn’t work. I also tried turning Location Services off, waiting a minute, and turning it back on. No joy.

BriceApp

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2018
Winston-Salem, NC
Nope - didn’t work. I also tried turning Location Services off, waiting a minute, and turning it back on. No joy.
I just turned location services off and backed out of the screen, waited a minute and then reenabled location services.

Something I noticed, in the watch app on iPhone it has been showing current location for default city, that stayed the same. On the watch in weather settings, it was always checking my first location in weather, there wasn’t an option for current location. After turning location settings off and then back on, current location is now checked and an optiin the weather settings on the watch. Complications are working and will have to see if it sticks.

Not sure if this is the case or not, but I did not have this issue at all through out the beta run, it started after having to restore my watch and phone because I received a replacement 13PM. I wonder if it is only happening to people that have had to restore or setup new on iOS 17 and those that upgrade are not affected.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
On the watch app I tried this: Settings > display & brightness > always on > complications data > turn all on (toggled it off and on)

Before 10.0.2 released it worked for a brief moment. After updating, weather complications has been working without complication.

MacYeti

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2019
I just wanted to add that my Apple Watch 6 was intermittent when it came to showing the weather. I did option number 2 and things seem to be working compared to option 1. It was weird and not sure if anyone else had this problem, but the weather for my current location was not being shown. Only the two cities that I have saved. Everything seems to be working fine now.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Go to settings > Privacy & Security > Locations Services. Tap the switch at the top to turn off ALL location services, wait a minute, and turn it back on.

Did this 2 days ago and my weather is all sorted. Even travelled to different locations and it’s all working fine.
Confirming this suggestion worked for me. Thank you!! =)

(This bug was not present in any of the dev betas I tested over the last few months. I only started experiencing the issue last week.)

Reactions: MrGimper

johnalex

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
all i did to fix it was switch to a different face and then back to the original and BAM the weather loaded

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Confirming this suggestion worked for me. Thank you!! =)

(This bug was not present in any of the dev betas I tested over the last few months. I only started experiencing the issue last week.)
It was pretty much around from Beta 1 through RC. It's amazing how much it was reported and they can't get something as simple as showing the outside temperature on the watch face.

blackdogaudio

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2016
This option somewhat modified worked for me using a AW Ultra Gen 1:

1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap Privacy & Security -> Location Services.
On my iPhone I found Location Services>Weather set to "While using the App or Widgets" and changed it to "Always" and have left it there for the past hour. So far, it's working including after a watch reboot. If it stops working I'll update this thread.
UPDATE: Unfortunately I spoke too soon. The Weather complication stopped pulling in data again after raising my arm several times in the past hour and checking it, however, when I tap on the complication now it loads data unlike before when nothing happened. Unfortunately it disappears soon after.

I may erase my watch and see if that fixes it but I'll wait 24 hours before reporting results.

LATEST UPDATE: No need to wait 24 hours. I just erased my watch and if anything the issue is worse now with none of my three weather complications showing data consistently....your move, Apple.

Last edited:

Yorkieray

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
Leeds UK
I had thought that it was just me with this issue.
I am using a new Ultra 2, a new iPhone 15 PM and both are on new operating systems. I initially noticed the error on the new Modular Ultra watch face, so i was thinking that it was just me.
It now seems to be loading the weather data from the first fix.

thedean786

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023

Apple on Tuesday offered two potential fixes for the recently reported Apple Watch issue where watch face Weather complications fail to load data.

weather-complications.jpg

Apple Watch owners have been complaining of malfunctioning Weather complications since the launch of watchOS 10, with both the initial launch and watchOS 10.0.1 affected. Those impacted are seeing a blank reading where the weather data should be, but tapping into the Weather app shows the expected information.

In a new support document titled "If the Apple Watch Weather complication isn't working," Apple suggests users affected by the issue try the following:
Reset iPhone Settings

If weather data still doesn't load, Apple suggests trying these steps:
  1. On your iPhone, open the Settings app, then tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.
  2. Tap Reset -> Reset Location & Privacy.
  3. If prompted, enter your passcode and reset.
Apple on Tuesday also released a new watchOS 10.0.2 update, which was initially thought to resolve the Weather complication issue, but it seems that a number of users did not see any permanent resolution after updating.

Did either of Apple's suggested fixes work for you? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Apple Suggests Potential Fixes for Weather Complication Bug on Apple Watch
Tried both methods. First worked for about an hour the second didn’t work at all. Hope they issue a fix for this.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Reset is not a fix. Apple Watch had weather issues on ios 9 as well. looks like they’ve gone unfixed.

on ios 9, weather app sporadically just resets to the default cities, then just fixes on its own.

this is what i partly mean by beta features: release half baked features, then never fix them.

Reactions: AstonSmith

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
UPDATE: Unfortunately I spoke too soon. The Weather complication stopped pulling in data again after raising my arm several times in the past hour and checking it, however, when I tap on the complication now it loads data unlike before when nothing happened. Unfortunately it disappears soon after.

I may erase my watch and see if that fixes it but I'll wait 24 hours before reporting results.

LATEST UPDATE: No need to wait 24 hours. I just erased my watch and if anything the issue is worse now with none of my three weather complications showing data consistently....your move, Apple.
Just do this:

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
That second set of recommendations, the notification reset, fixed the issue for me. I have a iPhone 15 Pro and Apple Watch series 8. It has been working for the last 4 hours, been in and out of the complication, took watch off and back on, etc.

Reactions: VineRider

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
Resetting the location settings (second Apple recommendation) worked for me as well.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The second one worked for me, just a shame that it's been reported during the betas and they ignored it.

Just because it wasn't fixed yet doesn't mean it was ignored. Things that can lead to something taking a 'long' time to fix:
  • Problem is non-trivial and might require touching multiple layers/services to fix. This not only takes more time, but introduces more risk to fix, which means more time to do correctly.
  • Related to above: problem would require cross-team collaboration to fix. This means the timeline of the fix is subject to the priorities and schedules of all involved teams.
  • Inability or inconsistency with problem reproduction. This can
  • Effort to payoff ratio. How much work is involved to implement a fix vs how much payoff do you get for doing this fix. This necessarily has to be weighed against other issues that need to be fixed and compared to their effort/payoff ratios. Sometimes, some issues that take longer to even start addressing because there are other issues that are placed ahead of them.
  • Related to above: how many people is this actually affecting? Sometimes bugs seem really bad, and there might be a vocal set of people that are impacted ... but the numbers may show that the actual number of people being impacted is small. Even if a bug impacts only one person, it will be fixed, but this is weighed against other issues that may be impacting more people and may take a back seat for some time.
  • Team cycles/workload. There are a finite number of people working on these issues, and likely a very large list of things to be working through. Sadly, they can only maintain a certain cadence and that doesn't always allow our own pet peeve to be addressed when we'd like them to be. :(
A bug being reported in beta, but still existing when the product is released doesn't mean it was ignored. I can promise it hasn't been.

Reactions: spankym

spankym

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
I noticed besides the complications not showing data that the cities were not syncing. I added a random city and then removed it and it immediately synced up with my phone and also fixed the complications. This was before the last update and I have since updated and restarted the watch a couple times and not seen the issue again.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
Apple Watch Ultra 1st Gen (WatchOS 10.0.1) and iPhone 15 Pro (iOS 17.0.2). This issue was driving me nuts. I followed the directions and my weather complications now work.

Last edited:

Artemis70

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
It’s possible for the same issue to have multiple possible causes, so the same workaround may not work for all users.
Agree

Also, bugs that only occur for a subset of users can be an absolute nightmare to confirm and resolve.
Agree

This is nothing more than a visual bug and would have been at the bottom of the dev team’s priorities during beta.
Do not agree at all. One of the main selling points for an Apple Watch is the immediate view of things using the complications. When one of the complications doesn't work, that should be a somewhat high priority.

• Love
Reactions: gtjacket123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.