Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
go after other corporations, who abuse their market share and make decisions that are against consumers?

If you think the EU is looking out for their citizens you might want to take a look at their energy crisis. If they are providing a competitive environment for business why is their unemployment so high and economy constantly in the toilet with practically no innovation ? The problem with the EU is the massive disconnect between their lofty goals and reality. Laws and public policy are useful for some societal problems but you have to carefully consider the consequences.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple aren't exiting digital services like the App Store in the EU. These continue to be the major growth engine for Apple within a portfolio of mature products.

While I think that will continue to be the case, it remains to be seen the impact of the DMA on that growth and the App Store's margins. Really don't think much will change, but the impact of the DMA has yet to be determined. It could, in some ways, strengthen Apple's position, in the financial and regulatory realms.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The focus of the European Commission's investigation has been Apple's policy of preventing streaming music apps from informing iPhone and iPad users within the app that lower subscription prices are available when signing up outside of the App Store.

Cool. Let us fine Walmart for not allowing manufactures to advertise in their stores that you can get products elsewhere for cheaper! /s

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Cool. Let us fine Walmart for not allowing manufactures to advertise in their stores that you can get products elsewhere for cheaper! /s
Great, but if you were forced to shop in Walmart, and they charged double what you could pay elsewhere, but they wouldn’t tell you nor let anyone else tell you, I imagine you would have a different perspective.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Apple faces the music

It's telling Apple has such in-built competitive advantages (pre-installed on the iPhone), pricing advantages, and Spotify still outperforms it. Spotify is just better software, both in terms of UI and its algorithms. I'm sure Apple will catch up in paid users eventually but it's not from having a better product.

Kind of. Spotify still underpays artists and does not offer a lossless option. Otherwise yes, largely ok.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The only reason EU does is this because Apple is a foreign corporation. EU does not go after their own monopolies like this such as Luxottica or LVMH.

They go after “their own” too:

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021

Every EU bricks and mortar store should be required to allow Amazon to posts signs, next to their products, with competing prices and alternative offers. It's in the consumer's best interest. Never mind that the store owner had to pay for operating the store, marketing, and attaining the foot traffic. Forget the fact that the companies placing their merchandise on the shelves often pay a "slotting fee" to the store and have signed a contract agreeing to the terms.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
If I was any type of Android phone manufacturer, I would be hella capitalizing on this with the hits that keep on coming to Apple from the EU.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Great, but if you were forced to shop in Walmart, and they charged double what you could pay elsewhere, but they wouldn’t tell you nor let anyone else tell you, I imagine you would have a different perspective.
I'd agree if you were forced to get a subscription through Apple, but you are not. This is over Apple not providing an easy way for users to get something cheaper elsewhere. Absolutely nothing preventing users from going to Safari and signing up on their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.