Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It’s time to get out of Europe. That vampire is thirsty.
The true vampires are big multinational tech companies sucking all our data up, often without our knowledge to sell on so that we can be convinced to spend more money with them or another giant tech company, coupled with unfettered control of everything so they get the best and everyone/thing else suffers.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
The true vampires are big multinational tech companies sucking all our data up, often without our knowledge to sell on so that we can be convinced to spend more money with them or another giant tech company, coupled with unfettered control of everything so they get the best and everyone/thing else suffers.
So, not Apple then. Someone more like Spotify?

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
If the EU are going to be all high and mighty, and ‘we love consumers', then they should be the same for artists and force Spotify to pay a larger amount, or at least the same as Apple back to the artists.

The EU are self righteous hypocrites.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
All of them. Apple uses our data in a different way, but dont be fooled that they dont take it, and it’s not making them oodles of money one way or the other
The post was about selling the data on. Are you suggesting Apple do? Because that was what I was talking about.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The post was about selling the data on. Are you suggesting Apple do? Because that was what I was talking about.
My post was about data sucking and control, actually. Both of which Apple do in spades. I mentioned selling it on because thats also prevalent with big tech. In my second post i clarified what Apple do with our data, and whilst I’m sure they dont sell it, to suggest they dont use it to make money in other ways is naive.

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Spotify has several options to advertise its products and services, such as through podcasts, TV, terrestrial radio, newspapers, and more. Apple has prohibited Spotify from advertising other pricing and payment methods from within the app.

If an iPhone user downloads the Spotify app from the App Store without prior knowledge of the service, is it reasonable for Apple to charge a fee for customer acquisition?

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA
Apple faces the music

It's telling Apple has such in-built competitive advantages (pre-installed on the iPhone), pricing advantages, and Spotify still outperforms it. Spotify is just better software, both in terms of UI and its algorithms. I'm sure Apple will catch up in paid users eventually but it's not from having a better product.
Better? No. Spotify may the more subscribers but it’s because they don’t pay the artists they’re ripping off. At least Apple steps up.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Poor EU citizens. Unable to navigate the digital world by doing something as simple as opening the web browser on the iPhone and typing in spotify.com. It must be hard when that action that takes less than 5 seconds is such a burden. However do you survive?

To that end, I'm glad you have the EU to save you from this debilitating weakness.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
My post was about data sucking and control, actually. Both of which Apple do in spades. I mentioned selling it on because thats also prevalent with big tech. In my second post i clarified what Apple do with our data, and whilst I’m sure they dont sell it, to suggest they dont use it to make money in other ways is naive.
Sorry. I wrote my initial reply on a typewriter, but it didn’t send. Macrumors do the same thing. Every website does it. The EU forcing tech companies to ‘switch off’ will never happen, and now they are just cherry picking companies that can pay up.

This does nothing for the consumer.

Better? No. Spotify may the more subscribers but it’s because they don’t pay the artists they’re ripping off. At least Apple steps up.
The EU don’t honestly care about consumers. Or artists. They are a business getting kickbacks like all the rest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.