Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doru Oprisan

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
While there are many opionions on this, the fact is that my new M2 Air 8GB freezes with 20 tabs open and 1 (one) photo in Photoshop and in other similar situations. My Intel Macbook Pro with 16GB never does that.
I don't think 8GB is enough for the everyday user anymore simply because an everyday user in 2024 does more things than a consumer 10 years ago and programs use more resources compared to back then.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Let’s see how many commenters failed to read the article and just focused on the headline. There are a few already who apparently did not read the article, which offered several potential explanations for this other than “Tim Cook’s fault”.

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
A penny here, a penny there. It adds up.

sport-of-tycoons-carl-barks.jpg

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
16GB should be the base at this point on EVERY model, and probably should've been at-least for the past few years. Selling a "Pro" machine with 8GB is insane.

Also, the upgrade price to 32GB should be significantly less. You can buy 32GB of DDR5 6000 on Amazon right now for around $100, and I'm sure it costs Apple A LOT less than that.

Sure, the average consumer buying a MacBook may not know the difference, but that makes it even worse and feels like they're just trying to take advantage of people who don't know any better just to save a few bucks on each machine.

Last edited:

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Apple keeping to 8GB in low-end computers is a joke at this point. The only argument Apple has at this point for not going with 16GB is that people are willing to put up with it. And don’t get me started on starting storage at 256GB….
Well, I’ve been using macs for 13 years and have still only filled just over 100GB of storage so that proves that 256GB IS enough for some users as a cheaper option.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Yeah, but you could argue this was an industry wide trend.

For a comparison, when Tim was appointed as CEO in 2011, the most RAM an iPhone had was 512 MB, a GB for the iPad.
Now the iPhone can go up to 8 GB, with the iPad up to 16.

Also, even the RAM in a Mac from 2011, even if it’s 16 GB, is still significantly slower RAM than Apple uses today.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

boak

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2021
While there are many opionions on this, the fact is that my new M2 Air 8GB freezes with 20 tabs open and 1 (one) photo in Photoshop and in other similar situations. My Intel Macbook Pro with 16GB never does that.
I don't think 8GB is enough for the everyday user anymore simply because an everyday user in 2024 does more things than a consumer 10 years ago and programs use more resources compared to back then.
That's not really an everyday-user scenario though

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
That’s really odd. I used a based M1 Air for months and never had freezes. That was with dozens of browser tabs open in multiple browsers, scientific data processing, and other work happening at the same time. No Photoshop, but I would have Pixelmator Pro running. I did some months of stress testing and never had a blip in performance. Sure, there was likely thermal throttling, but nothing that seriously slowed down my workflow.

My wife uses that Air now and doesn’t have slowdowns with dozens of applications open (she doesn’t really ever quit applications) — Word, Excel, Safari, Chrome, Apple Music, PowerPoint, iMovie, and more.

Klapper.cz

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2022
8GB for base model isn't the main problem - price of going even just to 16GB and people buying the 8GB so much are.
Personally I think it'll take more public shaming for Apple to not completely give up the horrible upgrade pricing, but introducing something like a 'second base' - like $200 for 1 step RAM+SSD upgrade combined. 'Reasonable' in Apple world and still with a big margin.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple keeping to 8GB in low-end computers is a joke at this point. The only argument Apple has at this point for not going with 16GB is that people are willing to put up with it. And don’t get me started on starting storage at 256GB….
Meanwhile, you can get a reasonably* capable mini PC with 16 GB of RAM and 500 GB SSD for less than $160: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZCQZ4TK

*) compared to the M1: https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/intel-processor-n100-vs-apple-m1

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Also, the upgrade price to 32GB should be significantly less. You can buy 32GB of DDR5 6000 on Amazon right now for around $100, and I'm sure it costs Apple A LOT less than that.
Apple doesn't use DDR RAM anymore. M series computers use unified memory which typically = twice the performance of DDR. That's something that Apple explained at the release of the original M1 but tech sites still like to pretend that unified memory and DDR memory are the same thing.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Remember when computer specs got better each year without a price increase? Yeah that's over. If you want 1TB of storage and 32GB of RAM then you're going to pay dearly, even though those are very normal things to expect from a high-end computer like a Mac, especially if it has "Pro" in the name and already sells for a very high price to begin with.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I’m okay with companies being greedy as long as I feel that I’m getting value from their products. The problem with Apple starting at 8GB is the extra $200 I have to spend to upgrade makes me feel like I’m getting ripped off.
The cost of upgrading from one tier to the next for all Macs should be cut in half, full stop (even with unified memory).

Shareholders would be quite upset over the loss of, say, $5 billion in revenue yearly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.