Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FontGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
While there are many opionions on this, the fact is that my new M2 Air 8GB freezes with 20 tabs open and 1 (one) photo in Photoshop and in other similar situations. My Intel Macbook Pro with 16GB never does that.
I don't think 8GB is enough for the everyday user anymore simply because an everyday user in 2024 does more things than a consumer 10 years ago and programs use more resources compared to back then.
Let's not talk about how bloated Adobe Software has gotten . . . when a company doesn't have the competition to force them to be more efficient or upgrade existing problems, then why bother?

Reactions: thebryceman

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
While there are many opionions on this, the fact is that my new M2 Air 8GB freezes with 20 tabs open and 1 (one) photo in Photoshop and in other similar situations. My Intel Macbook Pro with 16GB never does that.
I don't think 8GB is enough for the everyday user anymore simply because an everyday user in 2024 does more things than a consumer 10 years ago and programs use more resources compared to back then.
I simply don't buy this. Here's a stress test on an M1 with 8 gb of ram doing much more than you are claiming to do without coming close to freezing:

Last edited:

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Could it be because the RAM capacity increase over time is also logarithmic until it completely stops? This is a basic example of where you'd use a logarithmic scale. If you'd use a normal scale the line would basically be flat and then shoot straight up in 2011, then continue flat again.

---

There is no denying that continuing the growth rate as it was prior to 2011 would have been nonsensical... However, it completely grinding to a halt is equally stupid, especially for the prices Apple charges. The 8GB options do not exist to be actually usable, they're just there for the marketing. Most high-end phones have long ago surpassed Apple's baseline RAM capacity, which is genuinely ridiculous (on both sides, to be entirely honest) and now that even the iPhone is catching up to it, it really is time for Apple to scratch themselves behind the ears here. Most of its competitors no longer offer 8 GB variants of their high-end devices anymore either (and hell, they usually have separate VRAM too). 8GB is just not acceptable anymore.

I think Apple hides the real cost(or really, at what they believe are acceptable profit margins) of the their devices behind the base configurations, kind of like a form of hiding inflation, like shrinkflation.

It’s a way being able to offer that $1000 price point that’s barely acceptable for basic users.

To Apple’s credit, they do seem to be more open to community feedback in recent years, so I suspect we will soon see an increase in base RAM since the low base RAM is starting to get attention.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Have memory requirements also plateaued?

This is just one side of the argument.

With all these Electron apps and modern web pages hogging resources, I tend to say no 😅 I see more and more what I'd consider simple apps taking 300-700 MBs.

But you know, Apple sold a Mac Mini with 4 GB of soldered RAM from 2014 to 2018, and from day one the OS was taking most of the memory from my experience (so imagine 4 years later). I had one to act as a small server, and this thing was a beachball fest. Was it working? Yes, I guess.

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
I don't think the base configuration on Apple laptops and phones is that big of a problem or a sign of out of control greed.

Where I have more of a problem is the crazy prize for ram upgrades, especially as ram can no longer be upgraded after purchase.

That part feels like extortion, but options are "limited" when you want a fast machine that runs MacOS.

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Tim is just channeling the spirit of another (in)famous tech luminary. 🤓

68a75x1v2ez21.jpg

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’m not going to defend Tim Cook but there is lots of context missing from this analysis. Maybe it’s addressed in the original source material but 2011 is also around the time it became clear the iPhone was and would be Apples big $$$ maker. There was a fair bit of stagnation in the Mac lineup for a while, so it’s not surprising Apple slacked off on spec bumps for the Macs. I recall the Mac Pro was delayed due to Apple waiting for Intel to produce the chips for it.
My bigger issue with the ram situation is the inability to upgrade after purchase. This has relegated thousands of Macs to obsolescence when the OS eventually outpaces the 8gb limitations baked in to the base models.
It’s about $$$, of course it is. How else does Apple squeeze more profits out of a product line that is a fraction of what the iPhone pulls in? That’s the dynamic that Apple is operating under. So we get bare minimum ram, expensive to upgrade and non-upgradeable after purchase.
That’s my take, anyway.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Apple doesn't use DDR RAM anymore. M series computers use unified memory which typically = twice the performance of DDR. That's something that Apple explained at the release of the original M1 but tech sites still like to pretend that unified memory and DDR memory are the same thing.
That's not true. It's regular RAM. The difference is how the SOC addresses the RAM logically and how CPU and GPU have access to some "unified" parts of the RAM. Here is a quote from the iFixit M1 teardown.

Those are the new “integrated” memory chips: 8 GB (2x 4 GB) of SK hynix LPDDR4X memory. Apple calls this UMA, or Unified Memory Architecture. If it looks familiar, it might be because you’ve seen one of our recent iPad teardowns. It’s no surprise that Apple copied some of its own homework here.

AND411

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
The cost of upgrading from one tier to the next for all Macs should be cut in half, full stop (even with unified memory).

Shareholders would be quite upset over the loss of, say, $5 billion in revenue yearly?
I don't think revenue would fall. Firstly, more people would buy Macs, who are currently deterred by the outrageous upgrade prices.
Secondly, buyers would invest the same amount in upgrades to have better equipped Macs.
Mac sales are declining and Tim Apple is really surprised? Even Microsoft allows you to swap the SSD through a simple hatch in the back of the Surface Pro.
An upgrade from 256 GB to 2 TB costs $150, Apple charges an incredible $800!

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
8 is enough for me. I used to think I needed 16 to type messages on social media, but since I got this new MacBook Air, I've come to the conclusion that 8 is plenty. Especially with faster bus speeds and solid state storage. It takes no time at all to retrieve data from storage.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
or...you know... a more sensible reason: plenty of consumers became fine with the base ram
Or plenty of consumers believed 8GB was enough because of Apple's marketing

and the fact that unified memory costs more than standard memory to implement

and you know...combatting sky rocketing prices...
Skyrocketing prices? Memory prices have been declining for years (look at the historical trend) and especially for the last few years due to the memory glut. You obviously don't pay attention to what Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix and other memory makers have been saying.

South Korean chip maker SK Hynix reported its biggest quarterly loss on record, owing to plunging prices in memory chips, and stuck to plans to halve capital spending this year.

Slammed by prices of memory that have fallen by more than 50 per cent since their 2022 peak, Hynix is cutting output and capex as it awaits a recovery in the second half of the year.

Hynix, which supplies memory to Apple, reported an operating loss of 1.7 trillion won (US$1.4 billion) for the three months ended in December on a 38 per cent drop in revenue.

TrendForce reports that several suppliers, such as Micron and SK hynix, have started scaling back DRAM production. The ASP of DRAM plunged 20% in 1Q23, and this price decline is predicted to slow down to 10~15% next quarter. It’s uncertain whether or not demand will recover in 2H23. Therefore, the ASP of DRAM has continued to fall as inventory levels are high from the suppliers’ side, and prices will only rebound if there is a significant decrease in production.

memory01.png

memory02.png

and flash storage became fast enough for swap....
If people have to depend on swap to get by then that means there isn't enough system memory. If too much swap memory is used and constantly, that can wear out/shorten the life of the SSD.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
8 is enough for me. I used to think I needed 16 to type messages on social media, but since I got this new MacBook Air, I've come to the conclusion that 8 is plenty. Especially with faster bus speeds and solid state storage. It takes no time at all to retrieve data from storage.
8GB is fine for light usage. But it's not very future-proof. AI/LLMs will need a lot of RAM, and I don't think Apple engineers will be able to solve this problem with software tricks.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Is 8GB still enough today for VERY BASIC use? Yes (kinda).
Is 8GB a good idea for any sort of future proofing? Absolutely not.
I can't imagine buying a computer with 8GB of ram now and expect it to run fine in 2028...
This is my biggest issue. Yes, 8GB is still serviceable today. But to buy a brand new machine that is intended to last years with only 8GB is absurd. New machines should have a bit more than you need today to give them room for software updates to not turn them to e-waste right away. Buying a used 8GB machine, or nursing an old 8GB machine along to get a little more out of it is fine. Selling a brand new machine with only 8GB is just dumb.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
or...you know... a more sensible reason: plenty of consumers became fine with the base ram

and the fact that unified memory costs more than standard memory to implement

and you know...combatting sky rocketing prices...

and flash storage became fast enough for swap....

and so on..

but go ahead, write confirmation bias so that we can feel good about hating on Tim Cook, mr David Schaub
...And yet Windows computers mostly start at 16GB for far less cost of a comparable Mac.

...how much more does Unified memory cost? It gets manufactured along with the CPU so no dealing with other vendors for the RAM. It's just more transistors in the SoC.

...are RAM prices sky rocketing? I don't really see it. 8GB more of RAM would cost what? $10 at the most?

...we all love swap memory, don't we? Not to mention all those extra writes to your non-replaceable SSD.

...in the end, RAM is cheap. It's not an expensive resource. The fact that Tim won't put an extra 8GB in base models is pure bottom-line profit.

Fiona FTW

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2022
What do you think Apple has been experiencing for the past 2 decades? They are reaping the benefits of having an integrated ecosystem because they were the only company willing to invest in having an ecosystem in the first place.

That's disingenuous. They were not exactly "willing," more like effectively forced to develop an ecosystem in the late '90s because few 3rd parties wanted to develop anything for Mac thanks to its low marketshare. Fortunately for Apple SJ re-branded compelling software like Final Cut, iTunes, iDVD and developed hardware like the iPod and it turned into a gold mine. But to be sure, if SJ had not no 3rd party was going to support Apple products and Apple's historical contributions would now be reduced to a plaque at the Computer Hall of Fame right next to Wang Labs.

Tim Cook's business model, despite, or maybe because of Apple's recycling efforts, is to create as many short-lived e-waste products as possible. Apple can "sell" 8GB is enough, and maybe it is short term, but being non-upgradable, it definitely is not "future proof" except to people who only use their computer like it's 2010. In my experience updated software and OSes typically grow, not shrink, real life RAM needs (as opposed to minimum requirements).

That has zero to do with having an ecosystem. But also Apple Silicon is only a bit over 3 years old so there is 10 years of Intel where Apple never upped the RAM on entry level machines. Luckily some of those could be user upgraded. The others just become a door stop sooner than they should -- would gander the vast majority of old computers do not make it to recycling centers. Good for Apple profits, bad for common folk's wallets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.