Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
As someone who's tried gaming on Macs for 25 years, I can say it makes very little sense and there's no way to change it.
Usually, the upgrades for a Mac that would give an almost-acceptable GPU, RAM and SSD cost more than buying a regular Mac plus any other proper gaming device. This is never going to change. That's why nobody develops games for Macs, the market is always going to be a fraction of a fraction.
We've lived a golden era with Intel, since porting was easy and Steam jumped on.

On the other (literal) hand, iPhones sell more, people (especially kids) use them more and spend more on apps.
It makes a whole lot of sense to invest on them.
You’re absolutely right.

Reactions: originalmagneto

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Will this be the first time a game on the iPhone will be limited to specific models? Or did I miss that this has happened before? Seems like that should be a main point of this blog post if so.
No, it's definitely happened before. I mentioned Infinity Blade earlier that was only available for the iPhone 4, I believe, when it was released and not the earlier iPhones.

Reactions: Modano

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Lmao.

In 30fps and you’ll also get 3rd degree burns on your hands.

Apple gave us AAA “gaming” on phones while ignoring what people always wanted - proper gaming on MacOS.

THANK YOU TIM

The fact that a game like this is even running and looking as good as it does on a passively cooled, small battery powered device is bloody impressive.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
This is literally a console game. What difference are you upset about?

Graphics and Heat. I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to hold an iPhone that is the same temperature as a hot pocket fresh out of the microwave. I tried both Resident Evil games and I'm really not impressed with the graphics. It will probably get better in time, but for the moment I will stick to playing on consoles.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Someone really needs to figure out how buying a game or app for one device means you can have it on all devices that game or app will work on.
Apple, Microsoft, Google, Playstation, nintendo, etc.

So that we pay for the license to have that software.. not the companies whose devices it will work on.

(I understand that making them for different software / hardware products means different coding, etc.. but still)

That is when I feel like we have reached that point of universal purchase/ choice.

Wishful thinking, I know..

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Someone really needs to figure out how buying a game or app for one device means you can have it on all devices that game or app will work on.
Apple, Microsoft, Google, Playstation, nintendo, etc.

So that we pay for the license to have that software.. not the companies whose devices it will work on.

(I understand that making them for different software / hardware products means different coding, etc.. but still)

That is when I feel like we have reached that point of universal purchase/ choice.

Wishful thinking, I know..

Even more annoying is having a Ubisoft+ subscription so I can get unlimited access to all Ubisoft games, including new releases on Day 1 without purchasing the game in full. Yet if I want to play on iOS I have to pay the full retail price to the company I'm already paying a subscription to. It's ridiculous :mad:

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Awesome, been waiting for this. Platinum'ed it on the PS5 but have been waiting to replay for the iOS version just to give it a shot on there. Fantastic game. As a big AC fan, this was one of the best games in the franchise's recent history.

I just hope that you'll be able to use a controller, not just touch controls. If it's ONLY touch controls, I'll probably go back to the PS5 version for my replay.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Lmao.

Apple gave us AAA “gaming” on phones while ignoring what people always wanted - proper gaming on MacOS.

THANK YOU TIM
in some ways Apple is giving us AAA on macOS since now both run on arm architecture and Mac is no longer an x86 architecture

bpb

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2019
Lmao.

THANK YOU TIM
You seem to be under the impression that Apple is the one releasing this game.. did you not read the post at all?

Reactions: AlexMac89

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Graphics and Heat. I don't know about you, but I would prefer not to hold an iPhone that is the same temperature as a hot pocket fresh out of the microwave. I tried both Resident Evil games and I'm really not impressed with the graphics. It will probably get better in time, but for the moment I will stick to playing on consoles.
Resident Evil Village is running and iphone 15 pro doesnt run very hot
So i dont expect this will run worse or better

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who enjoys touch controls on anything? Without controller compatibility these games are stupid - like FIFA with touch controls.
I feel exactly the same, which is why if I were to find something interesting to play I would pair a controller.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Resident Evil Village is running and iphone 15 pro doesnt run very hot
So i dont expect this will run worse or better
It ran hot for me. Then again, the 15 Pro runs warm anyways. Perhaps the A18 Pro will be more efficient.

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
AAA games on iPhone and iPad is just a joke. The hardware is not yet great to play AAA games without MetalFX. And yet, RE4 does NOT support MetalFX which is impossible to play beyond 30 FPS which is so stupid.

Apple is not even trying for gaming markets and this kind of move is just stupid. The mobile market is literally different from PC/Console market.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr_Ed and AlexMac89

Ivander

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2022
They should have released it during the winter period so I could have used my 15 Pro Max as a heater.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
RE4 and Death Stranding are both supported on the Mac.
I was responding to someone that was asking if this was the first time a specific iPhone was the only iPhone that could play a game. We weren’t discussing the Mac. I think the other user deleted their comment or something, so now it looks out of context. Still, thanks for your info. Maybe Assassins Creed will also see a Mac release.

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
Apple claims to be serious about gaming. but they treat it like crap. all the tools they brought out last year to bring DX12 games to MacOS, and not one company has brought a game over. except for those that were revealed at WWDC. gaming on the Mac and iPhone is a joke. and it will always be a joke as long as apple treats it as such!

Reactions: Mr_Ed

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
With the A17 Pro chip, the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max support hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shading, allowing for improved graphics rendering in games.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard none of the games loudly touted to do so (Resident Evil 4, RE Village, and Death Stranding) supports ray tracing on the most recent iPhones/Macs.

Or has that been added by now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.