Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Lmao.

In 30fps and you’ll also get 3rd degree burns on your hands.

Apple gave us AAA “gaming” on phones while ignoring what people always wanted - proper gaming on MacOS.

THANK YOU TIM

Nobody cares about Mac. It is literally one of the worst OS on the entire market.

Only OS like Chrome OS has smaller user base than Mac OS.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Yeah. What was the point of them talking about gaming on the Mac recently and creating that software that helps developers port PC games to the Mac if the focus is going to be the iPhone and iPad, which is a terrible place for AAA games?

iOS is a terrible place?

iOS is the premiere platform for games. Some iOS games earn over $2 billion per year on iOS.

Apple even earns more money from games than Microsoft, that is how big gaming on iOS is.

And that is why iOS receive attention from AAA developers, as iOS is where the money is.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
iOS is a terrible place?

iOS is the premiere platform for games. Some iOS games earn over $2 billion per year on iOS.

Apple even earns more money from games than Microsoft, that is how big gaming on iOS is.

And that is why iOS receive attention from AAA developers, as iOS is where the money is.
Games designed for consoles are not the same as games designed for mobile.

Nobody cares about Mac. It is literally one of the worst OS on the entire market.

Only OS like Chrome OS has smaller user base than Mac OS.
Comments like this invalidate any point you're trying to make. There are 100 million people that use Macs. There is still plenty of potential for profit there, but Apple doesn't seem to be taking it seriously ... but they never have.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Games designed for consoles are not the same as games designed for mobile.

Comments like this invalidate any point you're trying to make. There are 100 million people that use Macs. There is still plenty of potential for profit there, but Apple doesn't seem to be taking it seriously ... but they never have.

It doesn’t invalidate my point. iOS has one of the largest market share while Mac OS is at the buttom.

So ofcourse iOS will receive waaaaay more attention from developers.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
Tell that to a billion dollar AAA PC games such a Genshin Impact which brings in near a billion per year on iOS.
Genshin Impact is an outlier. It is not the norm. This is a terrible example. I also don't consider Genshin Impact a AAA game. It's solely designed as a gacha game with lottery-like mechanics meant to entice people to spend money on items they may or may not get. It feeds into people's addictive tendencies.

It doesn’t invalidate my point. iOS has one of the largest market share while Mac OS is at the buttom.

So ofcourse iOS will receive waaaaay more attention from developers.
iOS is barely getting any attention from developers as far as console game ports are concerned. Most people don't want to spend 60-80 dollars on a console game they can only play on mobile. Genshin Impact is also free as 100% of their revenue comes from their addictive in-app purchase mechanics.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Genshin Impact is an outlier. It is not the norm. This is a terrible example. I also don't consider Genshin Impact a AAA game. It's solely designed as a gacha game with lottery-like mechanics meant to entice people to spend money on items they may or may not get. It feeds into people's addictive tendencies.

iOS is barely getting any attention from developers as far as console game ports are concerned. Most people don't want to spend 60-80 dollars on a console game they can only play on mobile. Genshin Impact is also free as 100% of their revenue comes from their addictive in-app purchase mechanics.

I don't think you realize how much money iOS gamers spend on games. $70 for a one-time transactions is nothing to them. These iOS gamers are a goldmine.

You don't have games making $2 billion / year if they spend only $0.99 on an iOS game.

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
Remember when they said we could install iPhone / iPad apps on the M series Macs? Seems every time a game comes out exclusive for iPhone, this holds to be untrue. This is one case, Diablo Immortal is another case. Am I remembering something incorrectly here?

Reactions: Crow_Servo

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
I don't think you realize how much money iOS gamers spend on games. $70 for a one-time transactions is nothing to them. These iOS gamers are a goldmine.

You don't have games making $2 billion / year if they spend only $0.99 on an iOS game.
I'm very aware how much money people spend on mobile [in-app] game purchases. Nobody wants to spend 60-80 dollars on a console game for a phone. People being financially stupid is why mobile games make so much money. People have a problem with paying 60-80 dollars up front all at once, but they'll spend thousands of dollars on ridiculous in-app purchases in mobile games. The difference is the psychological mindset. Yes, they don't mind spending that much money, but only when it's over time and in smaller amounts. Mobile games are designed in a way to milk people for money as much as possible.

Remember when they said we could install iPhone / iPad apps on the M series Macs? Seems every time a game comes out exclusive for iPhone, this holds to be untrue. This is one case, Diablo Immortal is another case. Am I remembering something incorrectly here?
It's still true. We can run any iPhone or iPad app on the M-series Macs. The problem is that it's up to the developers to allow this or not.

Reactions: MonkeySpank158

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Lmao.

In 30fps and you’ll also get 3rd degree burns on your hands.

Apple gave us AAA “gaming” on phones while ignoring what people always wanted - proper gaming on MacOS.

THANK YOU TIM
I don’t think it is going to be 30 FPS. Also AppStore policy clearly states that apps should have proper thermal designs not to overheat devices. Also apps must be as energy efficient as possible, at least on newer devices.

It is not Apple’s fault after all if developers decide not to optimize their stuff. Just look into PC world – lots of titles that do not launch unless you have newest NVIDIA gfx card and last gen Intel/AMD processor. And this is unacceptable in terms of both energy efficiency and sustainability

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
As someone who's tried gaming on Macs for 25 years, I can say it makes very little sense and there's no way to change it.
Usually, the upgrades for a Mac that would give an almost-acceptable GPU, RAM and SSD cost more than buying a regular Mac plus any other proper gaming device. This is never going to change. That's why nobody develops games for Macs, the market is always going to be a fraction of a fraction.
We've lived a golden era with Intel, since porting was easy and Steam jumped on.

On the other (literal) hand, iPhones sell more, people (especially kids) use them more and spend more on apps.
It makes a whole lot of sense to invest on them.
“Acceptable GPUs and CPUs” are a myth that is very convenient for major manufacturers – Intel, AMD and NVIDIA. They gotta sell their 💩boxes for good money and will inflate the following prices the very moment some virtual crapcoin goes higher in price.

New games are very poorly optimized and there is no such thing as energy efficiency in following games. Running them in normal mode requires at least 500-700 watt power supply. And that comes at high electricity cost per month too, not just some “non-existent” ecology issues.

Just think: how is it possible that Hogwarts Legacy runs fine on Nintendo Switch, a mobile device with ANCIENT mobile processor that is far behind even A16 or M1? The same game does not run on Mac but has Windows version that requires huge and loud PC to work.

Developers could have made the Mac version of the game (even with cut down gfx) but they just don’t want to and don’t see user base as their potential buyers

• Disagree
Reactions: freedomlinux

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
“Acceptable GPUs and CPUs” are a myth that is very convenient for major manufacturers – Intel, AMD and NVIDIA. They gotta sell their 💩boxes for good money and will inflate the following prices the very moment some virtual crapcoin goes higher in price.

New games are very poorly optimized and there is no such thing as energy efficiency in following games. Running them in normal mode requires at least 500-700 watt power supply. And that comes at high electricity cost per month too, not just some “non-existent” ecology issues.

Just think: how is it possible that Hogwarts Legacy runs fine on Nintendo Switch, a mobile device with ANCIENT mobile processor that is far behind even A16 or M1? The same game does not run on Mac but has Windows version that requires huge and loud PC to work.

Developers could have made the Mac version of the game (even with cut down gfx) but they just don’t want to and don’t see user base as their potential buyers
Hogwarts Legacy looks like a steaming pile and performs like doodoo on the Switch. That's why.

• Love
Reactions: Radeon85

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015

What's technically possible and what's commercially worth making are two very different things. And optimizing portings is expensive. That's why it happens for the Switch and not Macs.

Reactions: shadowboi

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Yeah. What was the point of them talking about gaming on the Mac recently and creating that software that helps developers port PC games to the Mac if the focus is going to be the iPhone and iPad, which is a terrible place for AAA games?
Look at the size of the user base and you will understand...Mac and gaming is a terrible place.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Hogwarts Legacy looks like a steaming pile and performs like doodoo on the Switch. That's why.
Again, it runs FINE. I have tried it myself recently and it at least was playable. To someone graphics might look poor but I have played it on huge 8k TV from 7 meters distance and it was more than enough, didn’t look blurry or anything.

It was running at 30-60 FPS in 1080 mode. There were small dips into 15-20 FPS area tho but honestly it worked and it was playable.

What I really hated tho were slow level loading times. They had to cut different places into levels so the smaller amount of RAM would not be an issue. But I guess it is problem of old Nintendo Switch storage and slow RAM. Imagine if it ran off the freshest SSD as such installed in the new Macbooks an iPads. But… it doesn’t. Because developers don’t see Mac as a platform to develop games.

Gaming is not only about shiny looking graphics. I still play ancient NFSU 2 on my old iMac without any gfx modes. Yeah it looks… older than most new games, but it is fun to play sometimes. For me gaming was always about fun and actual gameplay. If I want graphics I would rather watch some movie.

I am waiting for Ryujinx update so this game will not flicker like crazy when emulated. I am really interested if it will run faster in emulator

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
Again, it runs FINE. I have tried it myself recently and it at least was playable. To someone graphics might look poor but I have played it on huge 8k TV from 7 meters distance and it was more than enough, didn’t look blurry or anything.

It was running at 30-60 FPS in 1080 mode. There were small dips into 15-20 FPS area tho but honestly it worked and it was playable.

What I really hated tho were slow level loading times. They had to cut different places into levels so the smaller amount of RAM would not be an issue. But I guess it is problem of old Nintendo Switch storage and slow RAM. Imagine if it ran off the freshest SSD as such installed in the new Macbooks an iPads. But… it doesn’t. Because developers don’t see Mac as a platform to develop games.

Gaming is not only about shiny looking graphics. I still play ancient NFSU 2 on my old iMac without any gfx modes. Yeah it looks… older than most new games, but it is fun to play sometimes. For me gaming was always about fun and actual gameplay. If I want graphics I would rather watch some movie.

I am waiting for Ryujinx update so this game will not flicker like crazy when emulated. I am really interested if it will run faster in emulator
It runs "fine" because it looks like a steaming pile. They turned an 85 gigabyte game into a 15 gigabyte game and gutted everything graphically impressive about it. The Switch version of the game could run on a toaster. This isn't something to celebrate.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.