Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It took me a minute or two, but knowing AFB, I figured he was playing with us somehow, I stared at what he'd written and then, bingo! I got it. The clues were there, I just needed to see them and think about them..... :D
Well I can’t write about actual mad ex posters! It’s against the rules.
1687797386495.png

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another fine example of dual meanings at times when it comes to English in the UK and English in the US....

Here in the US, "mad" more often refers to someone being angry about something, rather than the British meaning of being, as my grandmother used to say, "not right in the head." Fortunately, though, most Americans do get it when someone refers to someone else as being "mad as a hatter" or some such....

My, that straitjacket looks a wee bit confining and uncomfortable! :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another fine example of dual meanings at times when it comes to English in the UK and English in the US....

Here in the US, "mad" more often refers to someone being angry about something, rather than the British meaning of being, as my grandmother used to say, "not right in the head." Fortunately, though, most Americans do get it when someone refers to someone else as being "mad as a hatter" or some such....

I actually own a straight jacket. From my former life as an escapologist
We don’t really use the term mad here for not right in the head anymore. Probably only in comedy etc.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020

I understand perfectly.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Really? How intriguing! Please tell us more about this past life, if you can somehow keep it on the topic of titles.
Like Mr Escapologist? Lol. I used to do magic and escapology as a side hustle. But that was decades ago.
I did perform at the Atlanta Olympics. Going through airport security with handcuffs and chains guarantees you get stopped!
Other than that mostly at small events or on the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.