Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
There will be a class action lawsuit against each carrier soon enough if there isn’t one already.

It helps immensely to already have it on the record that they engaged in this behavior and were fined for it. It might as well be a bullseye at this point.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I think we’ve got to resign to the fact that the motto of big tech is: “Do Evil”

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
How about instead of the government collecting fines, force these companies to regulate their outrages rates for data so the money goes back to customers where it belongs. I know, I am dreaming of a fair world.
Customer is paying the fine. Corporations just pass it as cost of doing business. Customer may receive Pennies after greedy lawyers sue them with class action suit for million in settlement.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
The “privacy law” they passed in California caps each personal data offense at something like $1,500 per person. They literally can’t be fined more.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This is shameful. I am going to look into switching to a small, cheaper carrier. I pay $100/mo to AT&T for this.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I will never understand why fines are how these things are handled. As a customer of the companies in question I was one of many that effectively was harmed by this. Why does the money not go to me and instead goes God knows where. If an oversight organization in the government gets some chunk of money that is alright but anyone that was affected ought to get something as well. After all it is my data that they profited off of.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Now I know why I get all those political texts, always mark as spam o_O
For real, I got one a half hour ago and receive at least three a week. I understand it's an election year in the States, but come on. Talk about being low-information, being convinced to cast a vote based on a spam text. iOS should be better about spam between the phone and messages apps, android appears to be leaps ahead.

Reactions: JosephAW

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I will never understand why fines are how these things are handled. As a customer of the companies in question I was one of many that effectively was harmed by this. Why does the money not go to me and instead goes God knows where. If an oversight organization in the government gets some chunk of money that is alright but anyone that was affected ought to get something as well. After all it is my data that they profited off of.

It's a source of revenue for the government, that's why.

Reactions: JohnArtist

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
And now you know that your telecom provider will do anything for money, even if it breaks the law, and they know it. Guess I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on Cricket Wireless now!

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Okay, fine them $200 million.
Freeze their rates. They cannot raise rates, reduce services, or introduce new plans that add to or exceed the cost of existing plans for 5 years. They can add services or speed, but not increase cost to customers.
To help facilitate this, freeze wages of executive staff for the same period.

And next time, it doubles.

Reactions: TruthAboveAllElse

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
And how much profit did the carrier make from selling customer location data?

Unless this fine is more than their profits, it isn’t much of a deterrent.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
Ohhh, don't say that! You get a price increase on your service to help finance this fine payment!
It is amazing to me how many people here actually seem to be complaining about this action. Do you not want the government to fine these companies for giving your real-time location to anyone who asks? Do you want bigger fines or are you afraid it will raise your prices? Do we not understand that corporate invasions of privacy are at least as insidious as any supposed threat of governmental invasion?

Reactions: xpxp2002

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ok, all of y’all wanting more fines for these companies… you do realize they just pass that fine along to the consumers, right? They’re not going to be hurting.

I’m not sure how they could get punished. Maybe someone can think of something. Increase in taxes? Even then, shareholders get screwed and they could still pass that cost to consumers.

• Disagree
Reactions: JohnArtist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.