Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
ATT has 71 million customers, that 57 million will be less than a dollar for me..
Yeah - I'm sure they made 10-20x that per user and likely on a recurring basis...

And likely they will just increase our fees by the penalty, but on a monthly basis and continue selling the location data because the fine didn't cost them anything.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
These fines are as useful as a strongly worded letter. Why don’t they fine them a real fee that would cause real damage to wake them up?

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
I thought the focus was personal identity threat but I’m more irate and blew a fuse when AT&T global fraud called me Friday about a breach in my AT&T account. Although my spam on texts and phone calls have gone up, they called me to let me know that someone from Delaware was trying to open two phone lines and A few apple watches. I’m in Texas, what threw me over the edge is the fact that they were actively trying to change my account information FROM an AT&T store, I was a former sales manager for them and the store rep must had been on it or inept, because you need an ID to do it in person, and access my account. I get they might have my account information like account and email, but a store representative needed to bypass the with the approval of a manager to change it.

They managed to stop the sale and now I have an address of the people who were trying to take over my account but the fact that I couldn’t change my passcode because they changed the zip code initially and tried to reset my password at a store was the farthest they could get, because I have a two step security check that would had required one of my numbers to get the code.

I got laid off, but the fact that the workers they got now are completely useless it’s hilarious to me, their leadership should be fired or held accountable.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Pathetic, that’s a small amount of revenue to these companies that likely made double or triple from selling the data. The executives that allowed this ought to be in prison. Tired of these companies selling our data illegally and facing zero consequences

Reactions: maxoakland

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Pathetic, that’s a small amount of revenue to these companies that likely made double or triple from selling the data. The executives that allowed this ought to be in prison. Tired of these companies selling our data illegally and facing zero consequences
The problem is that it isn’t technically illegal yet in most cases. That’s why “tech companies” are eager to pass new “privacy law” legislation that favors them, much like in California. Until it is officially illegal, they will rush to sell as much info as they can, and just blame politicians for a lack of said “privacy law.”

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Fines they will just pass to the consumers. The way to punish, so it will hurt, is suspend them for bidding on government contracts for a couple of years. That gets investor stockholders ANGRY and gets CEO and other senior managers fired.
Great idea, but we need both

People seem to forget that companies can raise prices but it will lose them customers if there’s competition in the market

That’s also under the FCC’s purview with corporate breakups and preventing mergers

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Removing the incentive for companies to do illegal things is still protecting consumers, even if you don’t get a check out of it. Hopefully some of the money enables the agency to continue enforcing the rules.

The agency is already fully funded by the annual budget. This funds nothing but government corruption. I want all agency fines returned to the people by depositing into the Social Security trust so it can fund adequate increases and never run out of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.