Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
What happens in your phone stays in your phones…… but it doesn’t I guess.

NewOldStock

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2023
I want to make a citizens arrest!!!!! A Rest of my information from the data thieves , A ha,,!!!!
And we get hoodwinked again and again on securities of data.
Never ends.

Reactions: maxoakland

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I don't understand, instead of fining them, why not force them to pay that to customers? I get the payout would be very tiny, but I think it makes more sense than giving the money to the government.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
That actually might be a decent fine to make them wary of doing it again. Double that would be even better

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I don't understand, instead of fining them, why not force them to pay that to customers? I get the payout would be very tiny, but I think it makes more sense than giving the money to the government.
I get your point but I don’t think that’s how it works in the law. They were probably given the power to enforce fines but nothing says they can force a company to give that money to customers

Customers can do a class action lawsuit though. And they should!

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
The fines will just end up being passed to the customers… if this stuff is intentionally done by company management, the managers of these companies need to be -personally fined- or/and jailed or barred from holding positions that have stewardship of other people’s personal info.

Fining the CEO or directors $80 million has more bite than fining company.

Last edited:

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
So when do we (users) get our share of the fines ;)
That would work out to be under $1 per user… That’s how much value is placed on the security of your real-time data.

Imagine if the federal gov were to sell or -intentionally- mishandle our data the same way… heads would roll. If your doctor or lawyer did it, they would personally be sued and lose their licenses… But if corporations do it, it’s a slap on wrist for the corporation, no punishment to the managers or director.

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
FCC needs to sack up and stop fining in the millions and start reaching for the billions. This will be a stern slap on the wrists for those who choose to infringe on people’s rights for privacy.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
FCC needs to sack up and stop fining in the millions and start reaching for the billions. This will be a stern slap on the wrists for those who choose to infringe on people’s rights for privacy.
Fines they will just pass to the consumers. The way to punish, so it will hurt, is suspend them for bidding on government contracts for a couple of years. That gets investor stockholders ANGRY and gets CEO and other senior managers fired.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
This is shameful. I am going to look into switching to a small, cheaper carrier. I pay $100/mo to AT&T for this.
All the small carriers use one of the big carriers so the big boys are still going to track you.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What about car companies? A lot of them are now selling customer location data, and to make matters worse, they're selling performance analytics about how you drive to your insurance company, who raise your rates. I've read about someone who bought one of these new cars, had to swerve and slam on their brakes to avoid an accident, and had their rates go up only a couple weeks later. They called to inquire why and were able to get them to hand over the offending data which confirmed their hypothesis. You're damned if you hit someone, and damned if you avoid it! Sohey're up next, and I hope the fine is 5 times higher per infraction!

Although realistically all this means is that they will raise prices on consumers and we'll end up paying even more for cell service and cars. Late stage capitalism at it's finest!

Reactions: Chuckeee

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
They should post all of the executives’ personal info on the web for FREE as punishment and see how they like it… actually, that should be the punishment for any company engaging in practices like this.
If these companies operate like one of the companies I have worked for in the past, at certain levels of management, their data and information is automatically scrubbed so their data would have been excluded.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
This is shameful. I am going to look into switching to a small, cheaper carrier. I pay $100/mo to AT&T for this.
I have no evidence to back up my claim, but I would expect smaller companies would be more likely to surreptitiously collect and sell your data in order to make up for cheaper plans.

To add to your cost outlay, I have AT&T and pay $163 for 2 iPhones + cell iPad.

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Governments are always looking to fine companies for hurting customers. But then the money goes to these agencies instead of back to us, the people they're so adamant to protect. So these companies get money from us. The agencies get money from these companies. In other words everybody is getting money from us and trying to make us think they're doing us a favor.
Removing the incentive for companies to do illegal things is still protecting consumers, even if you don’t get a check out of it. Hopefully some of the money enables the agency to continue enforcing the rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.