Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
yup got my replacement a couple weeks ago.

my physical card doesn’t expire until 2039 lmaoo. 15 years!

1714428215219.png

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Great that they accept the old card for recycling! Many banks either dont have this service, or it's not obvious. Especially bad for plastic cards

Metal, especially metal containing valuable titanium, tends to be economically recyclable. Plastic cards are made from PVC which is not readily recyclable. Best solution to avoid landfill is incineration.

But it does beg the question of why a card made of titanium needs an expiration date at all. Unlike plastic cards which will gradually wear down and become brittle and prone to cracking, the metal should last pretty much indefinitely. Sounds like Apple have recognised this and removed the expiration dates for cards issued more recently.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Considering its made of Titanium and weighs 15 grams, it has value. Removing the front and back cover and the chip, I bet that still leaves 12-13 grams of titanium.

You could melt it and sell it 😂
Um, no…they will likely make new iPhones out of them. Saves on buying more titanium.

Reactions: surfzen21

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Considering its made of Titanium and weighs 15 grams, it has value. Removing the front and back cover and the chip, I bet that still leaves 12-13 grams of titanium.

Well Ti is $8 per kg so around 10 cent for a card.

• Wow
Reactions: surfzen21

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I received my card in September 2019. The expiration date is September 2029. A ten year expiration.

Or did Apple (Goldman Sachs) extended the card expiration as it is a virtual card. There is still a physical chip on the card and I don't think that information can be updated. Is the expiration date even within the physical chip or is that a function of the servers that process the card?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I think I may have used the actual Apple Card a couple two-three times.
I have the card set as the default payment option for anything I purchase from Apple. That 3% beats any credit card that I have found. It also makes it real easy to make purchases from Apple, which for some could be a downside.

I also take the card overseas with me when I travel as there are no foreign transaction fees which are costly. I generally use another card and keep the Apple Card as backup in a separate location that is not easy to access. Being without access to funds while overseas can really be a problem. The card, being metal, is very durable which opens up a lot of potential hiding places.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
The image you show with the July 2024 is the Virtual Card expiration date. You need to click “Additional Card Numbers” to see the “Titanium Card” expiration date. To me it’s weird new ones are coming out as mine expires more 12 years from 2024.
Same date:

IMG_5908.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: DIRSGT

madler

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2022
Pasadena, CA
I was informed a while back and received my replacement card three weeks ago (Apr 8). Yes, the replacement card is the same, titanium and the same thickness. And yes, it comes with a recycling envelope to send the old one back.

Thing is though, I never use my physical card. The card only gives 1% back, whereas using the virtual card with Apple Pay gives 2% back. Also it's really heavy and thick, so I don't want to carry it around. My new titanium card will just go in the drawer where the old card lived this whole time.

Last edited:

Circa1984

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
I heard the replacement will be made out of puppies. It’s causing a lot of controversy, but at least biodegradable. … Sorry … that crossed the line.

• Haha
Reactions: CalMin

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006

mine got skimmed a few weeks back and so they sent me a new one. there was a prepaid fedex envelope (a very small one, custom made to fit the card) in the package and they asked for it back to be recycled. i guess you are under no obligation to send it back, but i did anyway.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Some questions:

- still have Goldman co-branding?
- still have magnetic strip? (These are about to start disappearing).

I never used my card. I keep it in carrier it was sent in as a souvenir.

I use my virtual Apple Card via Apple Pay nearly every day. If I’m buying an item that needs free warranty extension or supplemental coverage I use my free AMEX SkyMiles blue card.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know about this. Still waiting for Apple Card to be available outside US

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Some questions:

- still have Goldman co-branding?
- still have magnetic strip? (These are about to start disappearing).

I never used my card. I keep it in carrier it was sent in as a souvenir.

I use my virtual Apple Card via Apple Pay nearly every day. If I’m buying an item that needs free warranty extension or supplemental coverage I use my free AMEX SkyMiles blue card.
my replacement card that I just got has the magnetic strip, Goldman Sachs branding and Mastercard branding.

I definitely have never used the physical card more than once, but I like to keep it in my Apple Wallet cardholder along with my AMEX and ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.