Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
I have the card set as the default payment option for anything I purchase from Apple. That 3% beats any credit card that I have found. It also makes it real easy to make purchases from Apple, which for some could be a downside.

I also take the card overseas with me when I travel as there are no foreign transaction fees which are costly. I generally use another card and keep the Apple Card as backup in a separate location that is not easy to access. Being without access to funds while overseas can really be a problem. The card, being metal, is very durable which opens up a lot of potential hiding places.
At first I thought that 3% was a bargain at the Apple Store. Then I realized that when I buy a Mac, or iPad or whatever from Amazon, my Prime card gives me a 5% credit. And many times Amazon sells Apple products cheaper than Apple. I bought a 14" M2 MacBook Pro from Amazon. It was $1749, plus the 5% credit. Apple wanted $1,999. AppleCare was cheaper, too.

When traveling, we either use Apple Pay, since almost all restaurants and stores overseas take it, and if not, we use our Capitol One card, which also has no foreign currency transaction fee, and pays 1.5% back.

As for the titanium card, have you noticed that it falls out of your wallet? Mine sure did, until I stuffed another card in with it. And that's why we almost never use the card.

Reactions: tivoboy

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Hopefully they removed the security hole with physical card, the magnetic strip. Might just as well print the card number and other data on the card.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Interesting.

I requested mine about a year ago and it does not have an expiration date or anything aside from my name on it.
Yes it does. Open wallet, access the Apple Card, all the physical card data listed including the specific card expiration date.

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Yup. I'm in this camp of early adopters but haven't gotten a notice yet. My card expires in July so I would imagine I'll be receiving a new card in the next 6-8 weeks.

I can't help but wonder though if these new cards will be short-lived given the impending abandonment by Goldman Sachs, and new cards will need to be sent out yet again in the next year or so that reflect the updated banking institution's name and logo.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Then I realized that when I buy a Mac, or iPad or whatever from Amazon, my Prime card gives me a 5% credit
I get veteran discount of 10% at Apple which makes the products cheaper than Amazon. I cannot pay over time using the Apple Card and have to pay the full amount of the purchase price when the item is purchased.
As for the titanium card, have you noticed that it falls out of your wallet?
No, I have not had the problem as the card, being a backup, does not travel in my wallet. And when not traveling the card stays in my desk.
we use our Capitol One card, which also has no foreign currency transaction fee, and pays 1.5% back
Costco CITI card for me. It pays 3% for transportation costs and when the tickets for Germany are $6K for the two of us, that 3% is a lot of money. The rest of the time it is 1% back on purchases.

What is scary is the last time we bought train tickets at a kiosk in Bavaria. We just inserted the card and got the tickets. No PIN, no verification, nothing that proved we were the card owners. Anyone could have used that card. Of course CITI would have reversed the transactions, but that seems like a real security hole for CITI.

Reactions: victorvictoria

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
I get veteran discount of 10% at Apple which makes the products cheaper than Amazon. I cannot pay over time using the Apple Card and have to pay the full amount of the purchase price when the item is purchased.

No, I have not had the problem as the card, being a backup, does not travel in my wallet. And when not traveling the card stays in my desk.

Costco CITI card for me. It pays 3% for transportation costs and when the tickets for Germany are $6K for the two of us, that 3% is a lot of money. The rest of the time it is 1% back on purchases.

What is scary is the last time we bought train tickets at a kiosk in Bavaria. We just inserted the card and got the tickets. No PIN, no verification, nothing that proved we were the card owners. Anyone could have used that card. Of course CITI would have reversed the transactions, but that seems like a real security hole for CITI.
VETERAN DISCOUNT OF 10%???? I'm a Vietnam veteran. Why did I not know this!!!

Reactions: 960design

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
VETERAN DISCOUNT OF 10%???? I'm a Vietnam veteran. Why did I not know this!!!
Only you can answer that question.

You have to use a source that has verified your status. ID.ME is what I use. They have to get a copy of your DD-214 for you to create an account. Then you sign on to the Apple Veteran Store, which verifies through ID.ME, and the discounted prices will appear in the store.

You cannot go into an Apple Store and purchase products at the discount. The discount is only available in the online store. I found that out the hard way. I went into the store to get a power supply. Nope, full price. I then went online in the store, signed on through ID.ME, and placed the order. I had to wait an hour for Apple to bring out the purchase as I could not just get it off the shelf.

The savings are substantial on a large purchase. Base level M3 Air is $1169 versus $1299.

There are some downsides. The one I just mentioned above. The other is that paying with the Apple Card it is not possible to get monthly payments. You can still do trade-ins and you get full price (no 10% reduced) on trade-ins.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

What was the value of the transaction? PIN is generally not required for low-risk, low-value transactions (typically contactless, but potentially also magstrip for foreign cards which lack contactless chips)

Use of a PIN decreases overall security because of the risk of PIN disclosure (skimming devices, or someone just shoulder-surfing you as you type it). A thief can steal far more money if they know your PIN than if they just have the physical card.

Best thing would be to just use Apple Pay from your phone next time, this is almost universally supported in Europe.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
As for the titanium card, have you noticed that it falls out of your wallet? Mine sure did, until I stuffed another card in with it. And that's why we almost never use the card.

The card slots stretch out over time in leather wallets, especially if you’re over-stuffing them. I bought a new wallet for the first time in many years (a very reasonably priced Barbour from John Lewis in London) and the slots were VERY tight at first. But now after a few months of use, they’re settling in to being just perfect!

Reactions: victorvictoria

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
I requested a new one a couple years ago since mine got banged up and scratched from use, they mail you a cardboard pack to send back the old one for recycling. I like this card when using it for restaurants where its more prone to credit card fraud + theft when handing it over.

Reactions: Braz0s

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I got mine during the first year, has no markings on the card either. However, if you open Wallet, it will tell you:

View attachment 2373091
That is the virtual card number, if you request a new card number the expiration date will change and it is possible that it will increase to future date. That has nothing to do with the physical card.

Braz0s

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Interesting.

I requested mine about a year ago and it does not have an expiration date or anything aside from my name on it.
In my iPhone Wallet I'm able to see my expiration date. 2025 for me. MacBreakWeekly on YouTube just had a discussion about this.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hopefully they removed the security hole with physical card, the magnetic strip. Might just as well print the card number and other data on the card.
It is a bit of a security hole… but, Apple Card actually uses a different card number for the physical card, versus any online use. So the physical card can be deactivated & replaced without interrupting other transactions.

Reactions: surfzen21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.