Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Well guys, totally back to normal. Nobody cares about the false accusations that chick made. Nor the benchmarking, they’re going to improve. All the disaster prophecies on here about how ‘they’re done’ - L O L
Did anyone really think that Linus wouldn't get back to gaming the algo with silly videos and clickbait thumbnails? Funny that you're just coming right out and calling Madison a liar though. Maybe Linus will give you a ride in his Porsche for being such a good bro.

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
Funny that you're just coming right out and calling Madison a liar though.
Funny that <anybody> would come right out and believe any random person making life changing claims about someone acting immorally / illegally / reprehensibly ... You have as much reason to believe her as I have to disbelieve her. My speculation is as good as yours ;-)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like not much has changed, near daily uploads. No real content, in terms of reviews, products, or whatnot Just entertainment type videos. Looking over the thumbnails, nothing really interests me enough to watch, but that's just me.

1695384488787.png

Reactions: Queen6

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
Funny that <anybody> would come right out and believe any random person making life changing claims about someone acting immorally / illegally / reprehensibly ... You have as much reason to believe her as I have to disbelieve her. My speculation is as good as yours ;-)
Funny that I don't recall making any claims one way or the other.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Feels like they are doing PR-type videos…giving away free stuff in the roasting video, helping a mom and pop shop, etc.
Yeah, may seem a bit forced but in all honesty I've not watched them so I can't say for sure

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like a lot of filler videos, just keeping the lights on.
I think if they interspersed actual helpful/review/technical videos then I'd say its not filler but what yeah, just mostly pabulum right now. I've largely stopped watching, so the google heuristics are such they I really don't see LTT videos come across my page, and I'm generally happy about that

Reactions: LeeW

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
I think you guys are as right or useful in discussing LTT as you are with Apple! All negative. Then in reality, by all means, popularity, figures, success all positive..

• Haha
Reactions: TSE and Queen6

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I took some time off every forum, reddit, youtube, etc.
So that's the reason I just saw this LTT stuff...

I've basically gave up on LTT because of their macOS and Linux 'reviews'. Linus obviously doesn't know what he is doing there. I remember him using linux (popOS if I remember correctly?), and not knowing even basics of terminal usage, and then he destroys his install, and blames it on the OS. And he was using beta of next OS release...

That video alone showed me that I have nothing to learn by watching him.
I loved that guy Anthony, he had knowledge, and best of all - he knew how to spread it to audience.

Is he still with LTT?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
I loved that guy Anthony, he had knowledge, and best of all - he knew how to spread it to audience.

Is he still with LTT?
She goes by Emily now. Same great tech insights.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I took some time off every forum, reddit, youtube, etc.
So that's the reason I just saw this LTT stuff...

I've basically gave up on LTT because of their macOS and Linux 'reviews'. Linus obviously doesn't know what he is doing there. I remember him using linux (popOS if I remember correctly?), and not knowing even basics of terminal usage, and then he destroys his install, and blames it on the OS. And he was using beta of next OS release...

Is he still with LTT?

The Linux daily driver videos were quite eye opening, yeah. He's almost incapable of appreciating anything that does it differently than Windows... that's a pretty common affliction in the PCMR gamer crowd. I can relate to that mindset too, being a hobbyist on the same OS and hardware for decades tends to leave you in a rut; It applies to his Mac related content too, but MacOS is at least refined enough of a UX that it usually prevents him from burning it down.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The Linux daily driver videos were quite eye opening, yeah. He's almost incapable of appreciating anything that does it differently than Windows... that's a pretty common affliction in the PCMR gamer crowd. I can relate to that mindset too, being a hobbyist on the same OS and hardware for decades tends to leave you in a rut; It applies to his Mac related content too, but MacOS is at least refined enough of a UX that it usually prevents him from burning it down.

I think it's hard for any normal-ish person to appreciate all the unnecessary complexity and religious dogma that gets added to the computing experience by Linux.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I think it's hard for any normal-ish person to appreciate all the unnecessary complexity and religious dogma that gets added to the computing experience by Linux.
No argument there. But someone like Linus brings a ton of dogma and assumptions from the other side, and that clash is how a self-identified "tech expert" can utterly destroy a desktop environment in less than a week. When unnecessary complexity meets unrealistic expectations, it's like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle while looking through a kaleidoscope.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
The following video dropped yesterday. It’s a pretty good summary of events for anybody who’s new to this.

It’s interesting to see what the fallout is now that normal production has resumed.

The focus on subscriber numbers is a bit overblown; a loss of 200 thousand out of 15.6 million is not that significant. It takes a lot for people to unsubscribe.

In terms of views, in July they released 26 videos and received 93 million views, according to Socialblade. That’s around 3.5 million views per video; obviously, some of those views will have been on the back catalogue. In the last month, they’ve released 13 videos, in line with the new policy to only release content when it's ready, and they've received 42 million views. That works out at 3.2 million views per video.

Adsense and sponsorship revenue will be down, but a large amount of their income comes from merchandise anyway.

Reactions: Queen6

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I have a question. This YouTube channel did quite a few videos concerning their new “lab.” Big space and very expensive equipment.

The buildout included a large, fully shielded, electromagnetic wave tester and analyzer room; a research-grade atmospheric temperature booth to both closely monitor temperatures and to alter temps while monitoring equipment; and an industrial-grade electric wattage, amperage, and voltage tester, simulator, and monitor.

So, what is being done with all this stuff? Following their pause, I don’t think I‘ve seen a single main-page video featuring, using, or even generating graphs/reports from any of these equipment acquisitions. Am I incorrect? Is it on other channels? Did they simply delete this space and equipment buildout?

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I have a question. This YouTube channel did quite a few videos concerning their new “lab.” Big space and very expensive equipment.

The buildout included a large, fully shielded, electromagnetic wave tester and analyzer room; a research-grade atmospheric temperature booth to both closely monitor temperatures and to alter temps while monitoring equipment; and an industrial-grade electric wattage, amperage, and voltage tester, simulator, and monitor.

So, what is being done with all this stuff? Following their pause, I don’t think I‘ve seen a single main-page video featuring, using, or even generating graphs/reports from any of these equipment acquisitions. Am I incorrect? Is it on other channels? Did they simply delete this space and equipment buildout?
The recent PS5 Slim teardown video did feature some of their lab stuff (the soundproof chamber), so they're still using that stuff. If I had to guess, they are reevaluating how it is going to be featured on the main channel.... especially since the main channel has really pivoted hard into a very sanitized casual entertainment style versus a more tech heavy nitty gritty format or the old frat bro meme lord style that they used to have. IMO, they've seem to have managed to find a middle ground that is objectively worse than both alternatives.... but who knows, maybe the YT algo will eat it up.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I haven't posted in this thread in quite some time. I still haven't re-subscribed to LTT, not out of some weird protest or passive aggressive behavior but simply because I didn't miss the videos. I kind of got tired of his schtick and so I just moved on.

Looking back at the channel's releases, I'm not seeing much if any sort GamerNexus type of reviews which is what that Lab was supposed to provide. I am seeing what their traditional videos that was their bread and butter for years. This is one such video and to be honest it was enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: pshufd

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
[...] Looking back at the channel's releases, I'm not seeing much if any sort GamerNexus type of reviews which is what that Lab was supposed to provide. [...]
Labs have definitely been influencing a lot of content lately. New charts are being rolled out (long overdue) and there was a video about ten identical AMD CPUs and how they were not performing in an identical way.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I haven't posted in this thread in quite some time. I still haven't re-subscribed to LTT, not out of some weird protest or passive aggressive behavior but simply because I didn't miss the videos. I kind of got tired of his schtick and so I just moved on.

Looking back at the channel's releases, I'm not seeing much if any sort GamerNexus type of reviews which is what that Lab was supposed to provide. I am seeing what their traditional videos that was their bread and butter for years. This is one such video and to be honest it was enjoyable to watch.
I mostly agree with you, at least in the medium-term, LTT seems to have leaned hard into silly Mr Beast goof kind of vibe. I have noticed far far less elitist snark from Linus, and less personality from him overall... he seems like he is only playing a character now, one that is generally positive, upbeat and self-effacing, which is probably a good course correction given how much his personality was getting them into trouble.

However, more recently, I have started to see Labs stuff being more prominent. For instance, the recent review of the Flanders Scientific display costarred a new guy I hadn't seen before who is apparently the lead display tester for Labs. He seemed knowledgeable but the video itself wasn't really deep enough to gauge the extent of his knowledge or methods. But even so, it was a refreshing departure from the usual LTT content.

FWIW, I base all that on the main channel alone... I have not returned to WAN Show nor any of the smaller channels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.