Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
That assumes that GN see LTT as competition. I for one don't, and I doubt Steve does at this point either. They've been pure entertainment for several years now, whereas GN has been heavily focused on things they can prove; and are up-front about their methods and any discrepancies they may find.

It's like saying that Netflix and eBay are competitors. They're both web sites that want a cut of your money, but....

You've misread my post. It was the LTT employee that started this by criticising Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed's testing procedures. Gamers Nexus was just reacting to that.

The fact that the employee chose to do that would suggest that they regard them as competition.

There’s an unwritten rule in some industries that you don’t criticise the competition in public.

When the LTT employee criticised Gamers Nexus, they crossed that line and left themselves open to scrutiny. I don’t believe that Gamers Nexus would have aired their concerns had that comment not been made.

Part of the reason that you don’t criticise the competition is that it can have unintended consequences, and we’ve seen that in this case. By all means, say that you want to have the best testing procedures, but don’t reference and criticise the competition.

I see this as entirely self-inflicted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It was the LTT employee that started this by criticising Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed's testing procedures
Yeah that little tidbit is often over looked. Hardware Unboxed for their efforts have largely stayed out of the controversy and did little to address what was happening to LTT. they produced a video, but largely refrained from being overly harsh.

As for the comment, I really don't take too much stock, other then an employee being proud of what is being done there during LTX tour. Its not really LTT going on the offensive so to speak.

Reactions: AJB1971

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
As for the comment, I really don't take too much stock, other then an employee being proud of what is being done there during LTX tour. Its not really LTT going on the offensive so to speak.
I don’t view it as a deliberate attempt to attack them, but it was still unwise.

In the field they operate in, the comment was obviously going to be brought to the attention of Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
A new video, providing a status landed
Linus Sebastian addresses error handling and ethics in a new video

Since I no longer subscribe I had no idea it landed a couple of days ago, but the the verge (and others) are reporting on it. In the article the verge had this to day about sexual harassment - it wasn't addressed. I can see why, as that I'm sure would take longer especially because you brought in an independent party to handle the investigation
Sebastian did not directly address sexual harassment allegations recently levied by a former employee, Madison Reeve. Sebastian detailed changes to its HR structure over the year

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I would not expect them to address sexual harassment concerns. I would do the same. That is a situation that is not appropriate for public opinion and there's a lot more nuance to it and usually comes down to "he said, she said".

Am I convinced that LTT is going to be a great place to work and their company values have significantly changed? Do I believe they are truly sorry and care outside of losing subscribers? No. Do I care? No. It's a stupid, entertainment-first youtube channel that I enjoy watching and will continue to watch. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like they're starting to roll out the videos. I'm unsure if I'll re-subscribe. As @TSE mentioned the channel is for entertainment. Yet with that said, they're trying to move into the more serious testing not something that will pull me in.

One thing the latest Linus video mentioned, is the attacks on the employees, some people searching employee's residential addresses and harassing them - that is so horrible. They're trying to produce something really great (but were handcuffed) and to attack them there are just so many sick people in this world.

Also based on what Linus said - it can be implied the new process changes were not met with overwhelming open arms and love by some people and there may be some folks who walk away.

finally I think Linus made some good points about the employees compensation package and benefits showing he's not a sweatshop and that they've had a stand alone HR department, not just him and his wife.

1693303785124.png

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
WAN show this week was super… awkward. Difficult to listen to.
I usually view snippets of it via LMG clips, maybe I'll pull it up and see how it goes. I expected the first couple of the Linus videos to be just that - awkward

Reactions: Queen6

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I usually view snippets of it via LMG clips, maybe I'll pull it up and see how it goes. I expected the first couple of the Linus videos to be just that - awkward
With any luck, they cringe-murdered the sponsor segue and lttstore.com "jokes" with their apology video. Honestly, if that were the only outcome to all of this, I'll take it.

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Aug 29, 2023
LTT is fine. Any big, successful outlet is going to be victim to any and every bit of criticism when something goes wrong. Personally whether the benchmarks were accurate or not has nothing to do with why I buy the tech I buy. And for anyone professional, nobody would be stupid enough to watch one review and go solely on those benchmarks.

Glad LTT has bounced back, is changing things and will continue its success.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
It seemed forced (I'm not done watching it), It feels like Linus is trying to hard to be Linus and Luke is just uncomfortable
It did, you're not wrong. I just suppose it was much better than I expected it to be, I sort of perceive it as a glass half-full situation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Once LMG gets past all the drama I expect them to get back to full speed, equally not sure I'll subscribe.

Q-6
Of course, with 14 million subscribers, with lots of supporters in their corner, I'm not surprised. Truth be told, I hate to see anyone fail (unless we're talking about the New York Yankees then I do), its people's livelihood, not just Linus' but all of the employees.

They'll weather the storm, but time will tell if they truly learned from their mistakes. Given Linus' personality he will continue to say stuff that will cause issues, but on the flip side, its that same personality that drove the channel to unprecedented growth. You need to take the good with the bad.

I prefer other channels when it comes to product reviews, and details. I enjoy his builds and his frenetic energy but I'm not sold on LTT being a major leading in testing/metrics and analysis. Their strength is entertainment. I also think they'd be better served to trim the channel list a bit. I mentioned this before but I'm of the opinion that they're stretched too thin and introducing a weekly (bi-weekly?) game news channel seems overkill. There are other channels who's main focus is that, and do a better more indepth job. Why not take the time that it takes for producing that channel and it put it towards their main channel to make that better. Just my $.02

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I've never watched LTT for hard core tech nerd stuff with benchmarks that's always been other channels forte.

Linus needs to apologize and institute corrective actions since he's the tech channel for many people and I hope his changes are honest and he can regain the trust of his viewers but I'll always turn to gamers nexus for the super boring nerdness of new tech.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Late to the party here but I have never cared for LTT, once your "showmanship" outweighs your actual value you lost me. Linus acts like a buffoon.

I have always found GN to be very informative, I just wish Steve would slow down a little, that dude can sure spout results and stats at a record pace.

Facts, and news alike, can be presented in an entertaining way without being entertainment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.