Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I'm sure there's definitely some schadenfreude for many of us, but I don't want to see a full on meltdown. He's a human with shortcomings just like you and I.

I hope he doesn't get "cancelled" like so many other people have of late because of mistakes. He needs to address any and all of the issues with LMG and ensure the work environment is not what Madison accuses LMG of but overall I don't want to see his media group go down the drain
Neither do I, however I dont want to see LMG be that one stop place for reviews & data that Linus wants it to be. TBH not missed LMG's constant bombardment of YT and hope that they do reduce the output.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I dont want to see LMG be that one stop place for reviews & data
I agree, the past few years they created a number of new channels including their new gaming news channel which I thought was overkill.

Its funny how Steve showed clips of the writers, and editors of LMG stating about the pace and here they just created a new channel that was producing content weekly (if not more).

I never found their Mac channel very enlightening, he seemed to complain about Apple more then review the products and this gaming channel was nothing special.

As for the Labs, I just don't think that's in their wheelhouse and its not something that I would have relied upon.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
GN didnt attack LMG they reported concerns on data accuracy, ethics and doubling down on their errors with supporting data as they have done with others. This is an aspect of what GN does as are accurate component & system reviews.

Had GN not reported, LMG would have continued down the same path which is both unfair to providers & potential customers alike. More so with LMG wanting to move to be a premier lab for consumer products. I dont see any conflict or was GN looking to capitalise.

Q-6
Exactly this. And I find it so surprising people are echoing Linus' statement regarding "Well Steve should have called first". You think Linus called Billet Labs and said "We are going to say you have the worst product ever on our WAN show.....is this okay?"

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
There’s an unwritten rule in some industries that you don’t criticise the competition in public.

When the LTT employee criticised Gamers Nexus, they crossed that line and left themselves open to scrutiny. I don’t believe that Gamers Nexus would have aired their concerns had that comment not been made.

Part of the reason that you don’t criticise the competition is that it can have unintended consequences, and we’ve seen that in this case. By all means, say that you want to have the best testing procedures, but don’t reference and criticise the competition.

I see this as entirely self-inflicted.

Queen6

macrumors G4
As for the Labs, I just don't think that's in their wheelhouse and its not something that I would have relied upon.
LMG vision for Lab's is far too a broad a stroke. Just to get a lab in a specific domain to meet all requirements takes a great deal of expertise, money & time with robust standards/procedures in place....

Q-6

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
If anything Steve indirectly helped Madison, as I don't think she would have said anything if the Steve report never saw the light of day.

I'm sure there's definitely some schadenfreude for many of us, but I don't want to see a full on meltdown. He's a human with shortcomings just like you and I.

I hope he doesn't get "cancelled" like so many other people have of late because of mistakes. He needs to address any and all of the issues with LMG and ensure the work environment is not what Madison accuses LMG of but overall I don't want to see his media group go down the drain

Karma has nothing to do with Linus' trouble, but rather his own actions have caused this, and no not because of hate on Apple.
Ok, but maybe consolidated and focused. Three channels and no more. Main channel for Reviews, tips and tech news. Another channel for gaming hardware and tech quickies. No more. Stop spamming YouTube like we obviously don’t see what he’s trying to do here.

Reactions: three

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Stop spamming YouTube like we obviously don’t see what he’s trying to do here.

I won't disagree but look at the subscriber count - the smallest channel, and admittedly most niche is They're just movies and its at 142k. His technology focused channels are 411k and up, he's doing something right.

I think LTT, ShortCircuit and LMG clips are the ones that I found most useful. While not a bad channel, TachLinked is just a rehash of news, so if you keep up on the goings on of the tech world, its unnecessary. More so for GameLinked. I find I get more in-dpeth, better knowledgeable information from YTer Bellular News. I already posted that the host of Mac Address seems to be always against Apple, and always criticizes Apple and Mac Products. I really didn't even know about the other two channels

1692452405799.png

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I already posted that the host of Mac Address seems to be always against Apple, and always criticizes Apple and Mac Products.

It's possible to be passionate about something and still objective and critical towards it.

I am slightly baffled that anyone would watch a Mac Address video and their takeaway is that Jonathan Horst is some kind of Apple hater.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It's possible to be passionate about something and still objective and critical towards it.
Yes, and I am one of those people. I don't just look at the fruit logo and automatically attribute greatness like so many people here at MacRumores. Yet with that said, I find it tiring to view Mac Address as it seems to have an anti-apple bias much like the rest of LMG's channels
I am slightly baffled that anyone would watch a Mac Address video and their takeaway is that Jonathan Horst is some kind of Apple hater.
I never said hater, I said he's seemingly always always criticizes

Reactions: MRMSFC

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Who exactly would these “other people” be?
Its a term now used by people where they disliked something and thus are removed/fired/ignored because their social opinions were against others or said something that was rather controversial.
1692460948472.png

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
They are losing subscribers every minute of every hour.
No way back from this.
I disagree. It depends on more information that we do not yet know (including stuff we will find out more about in the investigation), but plenty of companies and people have survived an awful lot of controversy and bounced back.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
No way back from this.
They've been holding steady, with most of the losses occurring the first two days of this controversy, yesterday and today don't show as much losses. I think they lost about 40,000 between yesterday and today. Even if they were to shed 100,000 subscribers a day, it would take 5 months - I think they'll more then likely bounce back well before then.

I believe they'll turn things around and be better then before. Even if they continue to mishandle the Madison issue, I don't see that sinking the channel. I truly don't think they'll mishandle that, and will actively work at getting ahead of that problem and start moving forward

1692464516578.png

Reactions: ArkSingularity

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
No way back from this.

YT subscribers mean very little (directly) to their bottom line.

Loosing them on FloatPlane is a bigger issue.
Loosing one major sponsor would be worse and it would send a signal to the remaining ones that LMG should reduce their rates.

But the biggy is LTTStore where I can only guess that the vast majority of sales is to a small subset of the audience that wanted to support them.

Having a few millions of $ stuck in warehouses/containers that you have planned to sell in 4 weeks and now takes about 5 is gonna cost a fortune.
Money they don't have (according to their own admission) since a cash had been channeled towards building labs.

Bout MacAddress
I never said hater, I said he's seemingly always always criticizes

What is different to pretty much every Mac related YT channel is:
- LMG does not get HW prior to release hence very little new product reviews
- MA focusses on using Apple HW/SW in real life and will not shy away from pointing out flaw

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Its a term now used by people where they disliked something and thus are removed/fired/ignored because their social opinions were against others or said something that was rather controversial.
View attachment 2247986
Yes, now name names.
Name some actual celebrity who totally and completely lost their career because of “controversial” remarks.
J.K. Rowling? Still raking in the billions.
Elon Musk? Dude gets “canceled” every day, he’s still around.
James Gunn? Was fired from Guardians 3, then brought back and ended up directing it anyway.
Johnny Depp? Had a temporary career slump, and is now basically as big as he’s ever been.
Kanye? He’s lost a lot of money and deals recently (as he should) but he’s still selling albums and worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Morgan Wallen? Biggest song in America, biggest album of 2021.
Almost all of the “canceling” I’ve ever seen has been temporary career slumps at worst, a week of bad press and back to normal for the majority.
“cancel culture” is a myth.
Also, celebrities getting bad press for saying stupid things is nothing new. That’s been happening since the birth of the modern celebrity, the Internet has just amplified it.
I recall that Steve Jobs’s favorite band was “canceled” for saying they were “bigger than Jesus”….
And that was 57 years ago.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes, now name names.
Name some actual celebrity who totally and completely lost their career because of “controversial” remarks.
J.K. Rowling? Still raking in the billions.
Elon Musk? Dude gets “canceled” every day, he’s still around.
James Gunn? Was fired from Guardians 3, then brought back and ended up directing it anyway.
Johnny Depp? Had a temporary career slump, and is now basically as big as he’s ever been.
Kanye? He’s lost a lot of money and deals recently (as he should) but he’s still selling albums and worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
Morgan Wallen? Biggest song in America, biggest album of 2021.
Almost all of the “canceling” I’ve ever seen has been temporary career slumps at worst, a week of bad press and back to normal for the majority.
“cancel culture” is a myth.
Also, celebrities getting bad press for saying stupid things is nothing new. That’s been happening since the birth of the modern celebrity, the Internet has just amplified it.
I recall that Steve Jobs’s favorite band was “canceled” for saying they were “bigger than Jesus”….
And that was 57 years ago.
Gina Carano is one. Only got work once DailyWire picked her up. And Johnny Depp only just now is recovering but it took a court case and a Public one at that to make people accept him again.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
LMG has lost another 65,000 subs since yesterday. Another disturbing thing is that they haven't even mentioned as far as I remember the spark that ignited this fire. Their mechanical engineering designer Tim Holowaachuk was the one who targeted and took shots at not only Gamer's Nexus but Hardware Unboxed but they only talk about Billet Labs and false test results in their video and statements.

Edit: The only thing I see is Luke Lafreniere saying "we shouldn't negatively compare ourselves to our fellow tech reviewers".

Last edited:
Reactions: Ethosik

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
The subscriber loss isn't a surprise. They are probably going to lose a fair amount of additional subscribers in the coming weeks, so this is to be expected. However, the smaller size and scope of the channel might be good for them. I'd like to see them push out less content but put a lot more quality into what they do push out, they used to do a very good job of this back in the day. It might bring back a little bit more of the grassroots feel that the channel had back before it reached its current size.

There probably is going to have to be quite a lot of internal restructuring that will be required for them to survive, but from the sounds of it, they are doing investigations on things to figure out what went wrong and what needs to be done about it. It's too soon to say for sure, but I'm definitely not pessimistic about the long term future of the channel. I do hope they're able to treat the allegations fairly, address what needs to be addressed, and survive. They built a whole community that is much bigger than just the youtube channel itself, and communities are hard to kill.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
LMG has lost another 65,000 subs since yesterday. Another disturbing thing is that they haven't even mentioned as far as I remember the spark that ignited this fire. Their mechanical engineering designer Tim Holowaachuk was the one who targeted and took shots at not only Gamer's Nexus but Hardware Unboxed but they only talk about Billet Labs and false test results in their video and statements.

Edit: The only thing I see is Luke Lafreniere saying "we shouldn't negatively compare ourselves to our fellow tech reviewers".

I guess that drama already passed, I mean Steve from HUB already replied and called them out for an inaccurate statement. Though it may have been inspiration for Steve from GN to make the video calling them out in the first place.

chocolaterabbit

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
There probably is going to have to be quite a lot of internal restructuring that will be required for them to survive, but from the sounds of it, they are doing investigations on things to figure out what went wrong and what needs to be done about it. It's too soon to say for sure, but I'm definitely not pessimistic about the long term future of the channel. I do hope they're able to treat the allegations fairly, address what needs to be addressed, and survive. They built a whole community that is much bigger than just the youtube channel itself, and communities are hard to kill.
I think the best thing they could do is wind down Linus as the face of everything LMG. The issue is that there's been a cult of personality building around Linus, and while it's beneficial to LMG considering he has a lot of charisma on screen, it's also a problem off screen, when Linus tends to go off on egotistical rants where he refuses to take accountability. If Linus is left as the face of LMG, I think the drama will continue and potentially sink LMG. I don't really see Linus changing his behaviour sadly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think the best thing they could do is wind down Linus as the face of everything LMG.
Who is they? Linus is the owner, I don't think he would ever agree to give up being the main face of LTT. Its like Steve, no longer being the host of GamerNexus, or Jay of Jayztwocents.

If he did step away, I would say the flood gates would open up with un-subscribers.

He is and should be the face of LMG, and not all of faux pas that Steve documented are due to him being in front of the camera. Many of them are due to his management decisions behind the scenes.

In essense, I think it would be a mistake to cancel him, if LMG with all of its channels is not only going to not only survive but thrive he needs to be the face of LTT. Just my $.02

If Linus is left as the face of LMG, I think the drama will continue and potentially sink LMG. I don't really see Linus changing his behaviour
See as I mentioned I think LMG is sunk if he's not in front of the camera, what makes LTT special is Linus. I'm no fanboy but I recognize that its his channel, and his personality that brought viewers in.

As for him changing, we can only hope - we all have short comings and defects, with Linus those defects are laid bare in the bright lights of the videos for all to see. Also as I implied above, much of the controversies are due to poor processes and decision in running the business. Not Linus being stubborn, egotistical, and what not. They have a new CEO who will be making changes to how the business is run.

I'm not defending the Madison issue, I think if that turns out to be true, then the guilty parties in LMG ought to be disciplined and punished.

The poor quality and errors in reporting, can be fixed, the issue with Billet lab's prototype was explained as a process breakdown and poor communication. Nothing nefarious, though they dropped the ball spectacularly in dealing with the auctioning off of someone else's property.

What Linus needs to own is how he decided to test the prototype, with the wrong, incompatible components, and then arrogantly and stubbornly refused to spend a 100 dollars of an employees time to retest it. This is particularly egregious and when you consider how never had a problem dropping large sums of money (10s of thousands ) something silly - that just came off totally tone deaf to me.

He also failed to understand how his words as one of the biggest tech YTers out there would have a disastrous impact on that business. He basically said it was crap even though his testing methodology was so flawed that it wasn't going to work anyways with the wrong GPU

Reactions: ArkSingularity

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Unsubscribers are still slowly eating away at the subscription count
LTT - Socialcounts.org

Its been holding steady at 15.3 this morning, not moving up or down, though I think it will go under 15.3 later this morning. Its fairly early here in the east coast. They lost about 28k since yesterday afternoon
1692527033211.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.