Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It's quite 'grown up' apart from the snot green SMS bubbles, which you should be able to change like you can with Android.

Reactions: bennyboy34

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apparently Android Lollipop has copied the hideous neon colors, flatness, and white of iOS 7/8. At least people universally despise this look.

http://www.cnet.com/products/google-android-5-0-lollipop/user-reviews/

The good news is, to differentiate, ios9 will have to be different somehow. I'm really, really hoping it is more iOS6-like.
Seems like "universally" is not quite universally applicable. It's mostly subjective, and subjective, by definition, is different for everyone.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Apparently Android Lollipop has copied the hideous neon colors, flatness, and white of iOS 7/8. At least people universally despise this look.

http://www.cnet.com/products/google-android-5-0-lollipop/user-reviews/

The good news is, to differentiate, ios9 will have to be different somehow. I'm really, really hoping it is more iOS6-like.

The iOS 6-style era has gone, and will never come back. iOS 7/8 is the new look, and maybe Apple will tweak it slightly in iOS 9. iOS 8 definitely fixed a lot of the inconsistencies that iOS 7 introduced.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iOS 6-style era has gone, and will never come back. iOS 7/8 is the new look, and maybe Apple will tweak it slightly in iOS 9. iOS 8 definitely fixed a lot of the inconsistencies that iOS 7 introduced.
Never say never. ;)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ha. Ok.

So you're saying that icons that look like they are literally made out of glossy 3D plastic does not say "toy" to you?

Are you remembering a different iOS 6 than I am or are you perhaps unfamiliar with children's toys?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ha. Ok.

So you're saying that icons that look like they are literally made out of glossy 3D plastic does not say "toy" to you?

Are you remembering a different iOS 6 than I am or are you perhaps unfamiliar with children's toys?
Well, there's the "Fisher Price" take on the colors/icons and overuse of empty white space in iOS 7 (and beyond) by quite a few people, including various user interface designers as well.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I am... Okay with this design. I just want it to be efficient and smooth, not quirky, glitchy, laggy, or stuttery. iOS 9 hopefully will fix that. And hopefully while they are at it they will tweak the design, not overhaul it, to give it some more OS X Yosemity design cues. Slight curves, bevels in icons, and drop shadows. Nothing HUGE like in iOS 7, but just enough to add a little volume to everything, give it a little elegance. iOS 6 did clean up the design a bit but not completely change it. Like making the softer blue-gray headers/Status bar in various apps. It didn't change everything but it looked nicer, for sure. Well, I liked it at least.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
There won't be any design changes in iOS 9

Apple is only making everything faster and more efficients

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Styles always come back in one form or another, but not while Ive is there. lol

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Meh, at least it uses some dark colors which Apple seems deathly afraid of.

Way too much white in iOS right now.

----------

Apple is only making everything faster and more efficients

I believe it is almost unanimous that iOS 7 and iOS 8 slowed everything down.

It's still not as smooth on my iPhone 6 as iOS 5 was on my iPhone 4S...

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I doubt Apple will majorly change the design for iOS 9. I expect maybe some slight visual tweaks, but mostly under the hood fixes like the rumours are suggesting. I'd be okay with that route as I'm one of the people that much prefers this new design to the old one. I just hope Apple adds a real dark mode because I'm not a fan of the white backgrounds everywhere.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
This is some sort of known reliable accurate information?

It's incredibly unlikely they will have a major design change in iOS 9. The current design was just introduced in 2013. Prior to that, the previous design lasted 6 years.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's incredibly unlikely they will have a major design change in iOS 9. The current design was just introduced in 2013. Prior to that, the previous design lasted 6 years.

How long he previous first/original design lasted isn't really an indicator of much, and in some ways could be an indicator that a lesson was learned not to have a design last as long--could be taken in various different ways basically. And while a redesign is not likely, that is far from saying that there won't be any design changes or that the only things that will be there are basically just optimizations and fixes.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
The overall design grew on me, and now I don't mind it. However, I wish the fonts were a bit thicker, and there were more contrasts in colors.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
How long he previous first/original design lasted isn't really an indicator of much, and in some ways could be an indicator that a lesson was learned not to have a design last as long--could be taken in various different ways basically. And while a redesign is not likely, that is far from saying that there won't be any design changes or that the only things that will be there are basically just optimizations and fixes.

We won't know until WWDC in June but Apple is already dropping hints. :)

Apple-WWDC-2015-Logo.png

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.