Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You know this or think you know this?

It seems fairly likely that iOS 10 will be call iOSX to line up and fit nicely with OS X branding. We will probably see some design changes then. Probably nothing too far off of current, but some tweaks to both OS X (10.12) and iOSX (10.0) to make them feel and look similar.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
iOS 9 will likely have no major design changes. They will probably focus a lot on back end stability to iron out the kinks created with 7&8.

There probably will however be some level of UI refinement on the front end. We could also see the implementation of features that already exist in IOS but are still being restricted to and tested by employees. Control Center toggle customization is an example of something that is being tested already.

Also just because no major changes will be coming to the OS it self does not mean that there is not room for new features... I would not be at all surprised to see Apple focus heavily on updating the system apps in this release. They have been neglected for a long time. And while they did get the lipstick and mascara treatment in IOS... Apple has had to much on its plate to really give them the update that they deserve. They have already started this process with the new music app in 8.4. I expect that we might see other similar app redesigns in iOS 9. The phone app for example, is functionally, way outdated. I would expect updated videos, maps, podcast, iBook, and other apps... A lot of that can be done with out messing with IOS to much.

I kind of think the redesign was a 3 year thing. Year 1 being about looks, year two being about system features and API, year 3 will be about apps/refinement/stability... Then we will have something really solid by the time iOS X comes out.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
I care for having a better design, but not because anything looks "childish", it all just looks less excellent than the hardware. iOS 6 used to show the capabilities of the Retina display and the drop shadows helped make the home screen look more balanced, since no icons looked like they blended into the wallpaper.

I find the most ugliness with the lack of shadows to actually show that "layered" design. Real things with layers cast shadows.

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 239

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I care for having a better design, but not because anything looks "childish", it all just looks less excellent than the hardware. iOS 6 used to show the capabilities of the Retina display and the drop shadows helped make the home screen look more balanced, since no icons looked like they blended into the wallpaper.

I find the most ugliness with the lack of shadows to actually show that "layered" design. Real things with layers cast shadows.
The dock is a biggie, too. It's too obtrusive and sudden. Yeah, the opacity of it sort of compensates, but it doesn't change the fact that it takes up too much room. The opacity can make many good wallpapers look disgusting because of how it blends the colors. Dark wallpapers have a nasty gray, etc. I liked how 90% of the wallpaper could be seen with the dock of iOS 4-6. Although the dock had a shadow above it, it was subtle enough to give much needed contrast but still not affect the look of the wallpaper too much. It was perfect. I am very fickle with wallpapers and I find that it's a HUGE chore to find a good one nowadays because of the dock and lack of drop shadows.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iOS 9 will likely have no major design changes. They will probably focus a lot on back end stability to iron out the kinks created with 7&8.

There probably will however be some level of UI refinement on the front end. We could also see the implementation of features that already exist in IOS but are still being restricted to and tested by employees. Control Center toggle customization is an example of something that is being tested already.

Also just because no major changes will be coming to the OS it self does not mean that there is not room for new features... I would not be at all surprised to see Apple focus heavily on updating the system apps in this release. They have been neglected for a long time. And while they did get the lipstick and mascara treatment in IOS... Apple has had to much on its plate to really give them the update that they deserve. They have already started this process with the new music app in 8.4. I expect that we might see other similar app redesigns in iOS 9. The phone app for example, is functionally, way outdated. I would expect updated videos, maps, podcast, iBook, and other apps... A lot of that can be done with out messing with IOS to much.

I kind of think the redesign was a 3 year thing. Year 1 being about looks, year two being about system features and API, year 3 will be about apps/refinement/stability... Then we will have something really solid by the time iOS X comes out.

And, Apple will take roughly three years to refine a new version of iOS to let it suitable for lots of people. See iOS 7 released with iPhone 5s and 5c, and we'll probably see a final refinement on iOS 9, as the final story of iOS 7 trilogy. I think.

First year, refine the while interface. Second year,refine function and api. Third year, refine stability.

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
So he has said that iOS 9 will have no design changes, is that what your saying or are you saying that you are the CEO of Apple?

I probably shouldn't answer that question. If the internet knew that I had a macrumors account people would be very greedy and keep sending me PMs asking for free stuff or telling me how to do my job.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I probably shouldn't answer that question. If the internet knew that I had a macrumors account people would be very greedy and keep sending me PMs asking for free stuff or telling me how to do my job.

Love it ;) I won't tell anyone and BTW thanks for the phone, iPad and MacBook.

Agent-J

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Just had a thought; could the WWDC design mean they're bringing different icon shapes to iOS? The watch interface looks hideous to me, though perhaps it's good for that device. I know iOS 9 isn't supposed to have major interface changes, but moving to different icon shapes could be battlespace prep for moving iOS 10 to the watch interface.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I'm confused why people think a retina display requires all the heavy textures and shadows and gradients. To me they were required in the past to make up for the fact that we didn't have high res displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.