Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
If nothing ever changed we would still be in horse and buggies. Get over it. Design is always a matter of much debate and opinion. Its a good designers job to make something fresh and appealing to the masses, which exactly what Apple has done. Do we all love EVERY aspect of the newer design, absolutely not. But in comparison iOS 6 feels very old and dated now in the looks department.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Let's not generalize. The flat look is not universally hated by all. If that were true, why would Windows Phone, iOS, and Android ALL have flat looking UI's?

I love the look of iOS 7/8. I would like a "dark mode" in iOS 9, like OS X has, but still, just because you think that iOS 8 looks childish does not mean we all agree.

And iOS 6 looks ridiculously dated by comparison, IMO.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If nothing ever changed we would still be in horse and buggies. Get over it. Design is always a matter of much debate and opinion. Its a good designers job to make something fresh and appealing to the masses, which exactly what Apple has done. Do we all love EVERY aspect of the newer design, absolutely not. But in comparison iOS 6 feels very old and dated now in the looks department.
Old and dated (in the eyes of some) doesn't really mean bad or wrong though.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I'm just going to assume we're keeping the basic iOS 7 look until at least iOS 10.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Hope that IOS 9 will not be childish

Haters gonna hate but as far as iOS 6 goes, that styling and skeuomorphism will NEVER come back. I'm assuming iOS 9 will look similar to the current iOS 8.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Let's not generalize. The flat look is not universally hated by all. If that were true, why would Windows Phone, iOS, and Android ALL have flat looking UI's?

I love the look of iOS 7/8. I would like a "dark mode" in iOS 9, like OS X has, but still, just because you think that iOS 8 looks childish does not mean we all agree.

And iOS 6 looks ridiculously dated by comparison, IMO.

It's called fashion and like all trends, it will eventually pass.
In a few years time you yourself will be looking back and calling iOS7/8/possibly 9 'dated'.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Haters gonna hate but as far as iOS 6 goes, that styling and skeuomorphism will NEVER come back. I'm assuming iOS 9 will look similar to the current iOS 8.
Never say never, in particular when it comes to subjective things (like design).
In a few years time you yourself will be looking back and calling iOS7/8/possibly 9 'dated'.
And there's that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The iOS 6-style era has gone, and will never come back.

Of course it will. Designs always come around again. Might take a little while, but it'll happen -- and when it does, the people currently crowing over iOS 7/8 design will suddenly claim it's "outdated" and "stale" -- exactly as they said about iOS 6 when Apple introduced iOS 7.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I don't like the current design but don't particularly care either. As long as they get rid of that white volume box that covers my screen when I change the volume. A black border around pics would also be preferred.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I think iOS 7 may have gone a little far.. Yosemite (IMHO) was a good balance between keeping OSX feeling Mac-ish but still modern and coherent with iOS.

That being said I really like the iOS 7/iOS 8 design baring a few little issues.

Who knows what will happen next. I reckon iOS 9 will have a similar but tweaked iOS 7/8 design, and I feel iOS 10 will have a changed design..

iOS 1,2,3 looked similar
iOS 4,5,6 looked similar
iOS 7,8, 9??? will look similar
iOS 10,11,12???

I think the iOS 6 design is something I look back on affectionally but I find it too clunky and outdated to go back to.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The UI looked damn near identical from 1.0 to 6.1.4. It was looking old and dated, for that matter so was OS X. Now, maybe Apple shouldn't have taken flatness to such extremes but a change was needed and iOS 7 brought that change.

If iOS 9 looks the same I will not complain. However, if it is riddled with bugs because people were expecting Apple to put a new UI in iOS this early I will not be happy.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Of course it will. Designs always come around again. Might take a little while, but it'll happen -- and when it does, the people currently crowing over iOS 7/8 design will suddenly claim it's "outdated" and "stale" -- exactly as they said about iOS 6 when Apple introduced iOS 7.

Never going to happen. My opinion.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
The only way to please everyone would be for Apple to allow you to change app/System icons and tweak colour schemes to text bubbles/banners etc but we all know that ain't gonna happen so your left with a few options.

Exchange your iPhone for an Android.

Jailbreak. (Possible security risks and speaking from experience, plenty of hangs, freezes and re-springs)

Keep your iPhone and enjoy a bit of tech which 9/10 works well, is safe and does everything (and more) that you normally would need a phone to do.

Me, personally, I wasn't a fan of the flatter icons and what looked back then brighter colours but I've gotten to like the look now.

Just my views.

Jobbycock

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Apparently Android Lollipop has copied the hideous neon colors, flatness, and white of iOS 7/8. At least people universally despise this look.

Um, no they don't. It's just that the moaners are universally circle-jerking in the comments section of sites like cnet. People who are content with it don't complain. Personally, I like lollipop much better than kitkat with its hideous black menus and lack of polish. Had CM12 come along sooner, I might not even have bought an iphone 5S.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I hate how childish iOS 8 is. It constantly whines and asks for new toys all the time. Plus, it even wet its pants the other day.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I think based on 8.4 the notion that there won't be any Chang could be totally off. 7 gave us a new look, 8 gave backend functionality... I think that 9 will defiantly have a lot of stability but could also see a lot of front end refinement like what we saw with the music app... The phone app for example could use an overhaul... The functionality of visual Voicmail is verry outdated. There are a lot of areas that need refinement... I think ios 8.4 is just a preview of what kind of changes that we can expect in ios9.... No there won't be a complete UI overhaul... But there could be a lot of refinement... For example we could see a dark mode... We could see a round icon option... And I would expect a lot of refinement of the default system apps.

I think there's also evidence that Apple might be moving towards a more incremental update system... We may start to see a few new features added every few months as opposed to a ton of new features once a year.

iOS 1-6 evolved over a seven-year period.... It's not going to get a complete redesign after just two years.... However ios 11 could be some sort of merging point between iOS and Mac os.... Maybe at that point they will choose to keep everything lined up and give it all a new name

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I do get the feeling from looking at the WWDC logo this year that we may be headed toward circular icons for apps. Of course I could just be reading too much into the logo, that wouldn't be a first.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I do get the feeling from looking at the WWDC logo this year that we may be headed toward circular icons for apps. Of course I could just be reading too much into the logo, that wouldn't be a first.

It certainly looks like Johnny Ive likes his circles.
I'm not a fan of the signal reception dots and circular app icons on ny homescreen wouldn't be my idea of fun either. Still, it's not a dealbreaker.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010

You are correct, of course iOS7/8/9 will one day look dated. But my point is if everyone hated the flat look, all three big tech companies would not be going in that direction. And what looks good to one person might not to another, its all a matter of opinion.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So are we to expect iOS9 to be a complete ground up rebuild of iOS8 sans bugs? Surely if it was possible to remove the bugs from iOS8 then they would already have done so six months down the line...

If it is a rebuild then it will be chocked full of bugs and the patching cycle will continue.☺️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.