Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Uhhh, Gurman is one of the more accurate and long-tenured leakers out there since his days at 9to5mac. He’s usually pretty close.

On topic, I’d like to see them de-couple the core apps from the OS and update them via an app update rather than needing a whole OS update
Gurman was reliable when he was in a position where he was in touch with the suppliers. It seems there has been a change in his job profile and that has made him less accurate. I read this somewhere, but I am not able to find that article to link it here.

LavaLevel

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2024
Notes has become my favorite way to get html links or software code from 1 machine to the other. I often use notes as much as iCloud for information transfers like that. Notes is pretty amazing.

Reactions: Japan Ricardo

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Fitness and Apple Health could use a massive overhaul. Navigation within Health is counterintuitive and Fitness oversimplified for fitness freaks

Reactions: gusmula

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Nope. It’s a public API. The great Mac app Mimestream was built with it: https://mimestream.com/

An iOS/iPad app is coming soon too.
I'm using few basic Google services like Photos and Chat (without Gmail account), but after quick research it looks like Gmail API is part of Google Cloud service and is not available free of charge. Mimestream charges ~50USD/year for account in result - quite a lot.
Also, the question is whether PUSH service is available through this API.

Reactions: NetMage

Dunkirk20

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
They should fix the sync issue with the Notes app between the Mac and iPhone. For those who don't know, sometimes a new note created on the Mac doesn't sync with the iPhone until the Mac is restarted.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Would be nice if photos app got even half the features that the android one has. Seems like every year they get a bunch of new features to clean up your photos like magic eraser etc and iOS photos hasn’t been meaningfully improved in forever

• Haha

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
There is really so much potential for a great fitness app and that's in terms of features but also bring Fitness to the Mac with much better and needed analytics and on the watch with more then just stupidly closing 3 rings a day. Real fitness needs relax days and is way more refined.

Reactions: antonrg

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I wish Apple would clean house with their software department. They never ‘fix’ anything and just break something else with each update. Truly incredible one of the leading tech companies in the world and they can’t ever get it right. Get some new talent in there that can do the job properly.
I don’t encounter issues or bugs , must be you

• Disagree
Reactions: delsoul

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman today said that iOS 18 will "overhaul" many of Apple's built-in apps, including Notes, Mail, Photos, and Fitness.

iOS-18-General-Notes-Feature-2.jpg

Gurman did not reveal any specific new features planned for these apps. It was previously rumored that the Notes app will gain support for displaying more math equations, and a built-in option to record voice memos, but this is the first time we have heard about updates planned for the Mail, Photos, and Fitness apps.

Gurman also corroborated our exclusive MacRumors report last week about Apple finally planning a Calculator app for iPadOS 18.

A recap of iOS 18 rumors:

1. Smarter Siri: iOS 18 is rumored to include new generative AI features for Siri, Spotlight, Shortcuts, Apple Music, Messages, Health, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, and more. These features are expected to be powered by Apple's on-device large language model (LLM), but Apple has reportedly also discussed partnerships with companies like Google, OpenAI, and Baidu.
  2. More Customizable Home Screen: One of the design changes rumored for iOS 18 is a more customizable Home Screen, including the ability to place app icons anywhere on the Home Screen grid. This change will allow for blank spaces, rows, and columns between app icons.
  3. Improved Texting With Android Users: Apple announced that it will support the cross-platform messaging standard RCS in the Messages app on the iPhone starting "later" in 2024, so it will likely be an iOS 18 feature. Compared to SMS, RCS support will improve the texting experience between iOS and Android devices by allowing for higher-resolution photos and videos, audio messages, typing indicators, read receipts, Wi-Fi messaging, and more.
  4. Calculator Revamp: iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15 are expected to feature a revamped Calculator app with several new features, including a sidebar that lists recent calculations, an improved interface for converting units, integration with the Notes app, and more. Yes, this means that Apple will finally be making its Calculator app available on the iPad.
  5. Math in Notes App: With iOS 18, the Notes app is expected to gain support for displaying mathematical notation, allowing users to include more types of algebraic equations and formulas in notes.
  6. Custom Routes in Apple Maps: At least two new Apple Maps features are expected on iOS 18, including custom routes and topographic maps. Custom routes would allow users to choose specific roads to travel on while navigating, while topographic maps include details such as trails, contour lines, elevation, and points of interest for hiking and other outdoor uses. Apple already introduced topographic maps on the Apple Watch with watchOS 10.
  7. Safari Browsing Assistant: Another new generative AI feature potentially coming with iOS 18 is a browsing assistant in Safari, but no specific details are known yet. There are already multiple iPhone web browsers with AI tools, such as Microsoft Edge and its GPT-4-powered Copilot, and Arc Search, which can summarize web pages to provide concise information.
  8. AirPods Pro as Hearing Aid: iOS 18 will reportedly include a so-called "hearing aid mode" for AirPods Pro, but it is unclear how it would differ from Apple's existing Conversation Boost feature that launched in 2021.
  9. Next-Generation CarPlay: Apple's website says the first vehicles with next-generation CarPlay will arrive in 2024, so the platform might debut alongside iOS 18 later this year. However, it is possible that next-generation CarPlay will also be compatible with some iOS 17 versions.
  10. Freeform Scenes: iOS 18 is rumored to add a new "Scenes" option to Apple's drawing app Freeform. This feature would allow users to select specific sections or "scenes" on the canvas for easier navigation.
For additional rumors and expectations, read our comprehensive iOS 18 roundup, which we routinely update with the latest information.

Apple will announce iOS 18 during its WWDC keynote on June 10, and the update should be widely released in September.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to 'Overhaul' Notes, Mail, Photos, and Fitness Apps
Not much (nothing?) is critical. Not sure, why didn’t they just fix all the bugs and make the phone faster and battery stay longer - especially for older phone.

JungeQuex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Oh boy, cant wait. Like when they “improved” the camera app and the exposure lock stopped functioning properly and hasn’t functioned properly since.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
They should fix the sync issue with the Notes app between the Mac and iPhone. For those who don't know, sometimes a new note created on the Mac doesn't sync with the iPhone until the Mac is restarted.
I found Quick Notes didn't synch properly. This is exactly the kind of thing they should fix, rather than overhauling things. Never mind custom routes on Maps, how about getting a reasonable level of data - at least approaching that of Google Maps - here in Japan, and not mispronouncing Japanese names when giving other instructions in English. That is the kind of thing the AI should be able to deal with.

And I wish people would stop talking about the iPad calculator app....

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I used to use Evernote, then migrated to OneNote, but wanted to kind of keep things in the Apple ecosystem. Notes has come a long way, its not perfect but its certainly a huge part of my working/personal life - all improvements and update are welcome!

chickeneaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
'Murica
I wish Apple would clean house with their software department. They never ‘fix’ anything and just break something else with each update. Truly incredible one of the leading tech companies in the world and they can’t ever get it right. Get some new talent in there that can do the job properly.
They need either Scott Forstall back or someone that has his talent to fix all of the bugs; I don't remember bugs lasting as long as the bugs right now. And I also don't remember as many updates to iOS with his leadership; there's an update to iOS way too often trying to "fix" bugs

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Mail does not need overhaul, it needs bug fixes. Please, please, please fix the bugs like rules not being executed reliably, messages in threads not loading, etc.

It needs performance fixes! Why does it take soooo long to load new messages on iOS mail, when it’s near-instant on macOS Mail app from the same servers? (especially noticeable when the phone is in low power mode, and messages aren’t pre-loaded in the background)

The Notes app on iOS, on the other hand, is pretty damn near perfect. Any “overhaul” is likely to just make it buggy and bloated. Please don’t mess with things that are already perfect, Apple!

(Look at macOS’s system settings app for an example of a recent overhaul that went horribly, horribly wrong…)

Reactions: nt5672

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
All I want from Notes is a web clipper on par with Evernote's.
All I want from Mail is a setting that lets me ALWAYS receive and send picture's and PDF's as attachments and never inline.
All I want from Photos is for the photo Library I share with my wife to sync faster.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Given Apple’s track record if I upgrade to 18, I will need to buy a new car to use airplay and the notes file format will not be compatible with older notes.

Reactions: tomchr9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.