Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Meh. That's not really good evidence to support your contention about North America.
Then why do I see so many posts on different platforms or youtubers saying that the only thing that is keeping them fro switching to Android is iMessage?

For me, personally, it wouldn't be the only thing, I'm invested in the ecosystem and as a photographer I prefer to use mac, ipad, Airdrop etc
And I also use the Apple Watch
Also better support and app quality

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder how much of these apps, and the OS in general, are still Objective-C, not Swift/SwiftUI? I said it before, and I'll say it again: I really wish Apple would take a year off from major upgrades, and convert as much of the OS, frameworks, libraries and apps to Swift, SwiftUI, and Metal, like they did with Core Data > SwiftData.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
And last but not least. Note from "Gmail API Overview":

View attachment 2373059
My job uses Google Workspace for email, and disabled IMAP access. So if I ever need to check my email on my Mac, I have to use the web interface. Plus, my job also disabled all web apps that use use more than just my name, email, and profile picture. So no Apple Mail app, no Mimestream, no nothing besides the web interface. At least I can use the Gmail app on my phone & iPad.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Nope. It’s a public API. The great Mac app Mimestream was built with it: https://mimestream.com/

An iOS/iPad app is coming soon too.
I use Mimestream every day at work and it makes my life much much easier. They're apparently working on an iOS version, which will go on my home screen immediately. The other thing they're working on is support for other email protocols like MIME, which would mean I can also use Mimestream for my iCloud account.

Since this is a comment thread about Apple's stock apps, I will say that I appreciate Mail, but it just doesn't mesh well at all with Gmail's labels. I wish Apple would just steal the labels concept and apply it to iCloud. Folders are just way too limiting.

cygta77

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
Please fix Notes turning into molasses on Mac OS after reaching 1500-ish notes and/or with moderate attachment useage. Works fine on iOS/iPad, but there is some iCloud sync hiccup causing awful typing lag on the desktop that makes it almost unusable. And using the "On My Mac" feature defeats the purpose of having a cloud-based note app.

Sam Kass

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2018
Maybe now in the Fitness app, if I tell my watch I want to run a 5K, it'll tell me the time of my 5K?

hardik7

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2023
India
Consolidated log entries function is required in the Phone app. It is one of the worst app Apple has ever designed. It shows in the reviews on app store.

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Just curious, in what way does yours struggle? I have about 1.7TB of photos and videos in mine, and can't say I've ever had an issue. I also have it all backed up to Google Photos and that struggles to load it after a while.

Genuinely just curious?
Lately for whatever reason it is, i have photos from lets say 2014 showing up in the middle of photos taken in 2020 etc or the same photo twice and for whatever reason the duplicates album doesn't catch it.. just litte things like that it struggles with

Reactions: kirky29

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
This is perhaps just a rumour and likely was mentioned it somewhere else already:

I could imagine iOS
18 or iPadOS 18 will introduce the possibility to use multiple users and system wide design changes similar to what you can see on Apple TVapp on TizenOS 6.0 /Samsung TVs already.

Last edited:

london_apple

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2020
After sending a large group of photos to one person through say iMessage I just click on the stack of photos I just sent through iMessage click copy and paste into any new person or group message. So no need to manually select them all each time.
I've definitely done this, too, but even that still feels like an extra step that I wish was removed.

Nightflyer720

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2023
Sounds good, but while they re at it, could they please improve Apple Maps for drivers. It has no orientation when starting the route, there is always a delay and often not quite sure which way to go, only to then realise I guessed wrong again and have to turn around to go the right way. It’s so frustrated and drives me crazy every time. Could apple use the compass app to solve this problem? Pretty pretty please!
Agree 100%. Most of the time, there's literally NO indication to take a left or right at the start of a trip. It's insane to me that this software can't accomplish such a basic but essential task. A massive, embarrassing lapse that Apple evidently can't be bothered to acknowledge, let alone fix. Appalling.

onebranch

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2023
Please fix downloaded books in the Books App not remaining when offline. The Books app is useless now.

hanske68

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2020
All the standalone applications should be on AppStore and updated regularly without needing a major OS upgrade to gain new features. I mean am I being naive or is it not rocket science…
That would mean Apple should use their own app store regulations... Don't think that will ever happen, because apple uses internal private API's and backdoors that are not available to regular developers. They should follow AppStore rules, but I guess they won't to make it impossible for developers to compete with their own apps.

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
All the standalone applications should be on AppStore and updated regularly without needing a major OS upgrade to gain new features. I mean am I being naive or is it not rocket science…

That would mean Apple should use their own app store regulations... Don't think that will ever happen, because apple uses internal private API's and backdoors that are not available to regular developers. They should follow AppStore rules, but I guess they won't to make it impossible for developers to compete with their own apps.
Mail, Reminders, Notes, etc. are in AppStore and can be uninstalled. They are upgraded only as part of new xOS releases, indeed.

Reactions: london_apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.