Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricketysquire

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2020
All I want is a polished, fast, and stable IOS release. We don't need things overhauled each year. In my perfect universe, Apple would stick to IOS releases on a 2-4 year cadence. If they knocked out all the bugs/performance issues by year 1 we'd enjoy a great IOS experience for up to 3 more years.

• Sad
Reactions: NetMage

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Yes, it does. Better integration with labels and colors, rules, gmail style keyboard shortcuts would all be very welcomed improvements.
Yep, let's get the shiny parts working well and just bandaid over the bugs in functionality. Sounds like the perfect Apple user.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Everything Apple does needs bug fixing.
I hope their Xcode AI will also help THEM fix their stuff.
Xcode is so buggy, that I don't think any amount of AI will help.

And no, I don't have enough time in the day to enumerate all of the bugs.

Anyone that uses Xcode for anything but toy sample code, knows major issues have remained unaddressed for years.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
If the remove first-party apps from the OS updates, then the OS updates will be entirely updates to Emojis then :)

Blame the Unicode consortium for that one.

But this might actually let them work on core OS fixes and improvements.

They’re focused on all the wrong things right now. I’m hopeful that after canceling car and launching Vision they are taking a step back and rethinking their approach.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
One thing that Apple should’ve fixed years ago is Contacts. Why does Contacts not propagate address information? Even UPS and FedEx propagate addresses in real time.

We should be able to simply enter an address and have Contacts check and auto fill it automatically.
I don't understand why, in this day and age, you can't have a shared set of Contacts the way you can with Photos. This would be incredibly handy with Family Sharing.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
I'm using few basic Google services like Photos and Chat (without Gmail account), but after quick research it looks like Gmail API is part of Google Cloud service and is not available free of charge. Mimestream charges ~50USD/year for account in result - quite a lot.
Also, the question is whether PUSH service is available through this API.
Yes, push is supported. Mimestream does push.

Reactions: ignatius345

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Biggest problem with Mimestream is that your email is on Google's servers. Yuck.

I like the idea that Mimestream lets users adjust their filters and other settings in app without having to go to the web. Apple should be able to do that, they should make it so.

I do understand the tightrope they walk though. If they make the mail application too good they get accused of Sherlocking and unfair competition. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Yes, push is supported. Mimestream does push.
Mimestream supports PUSH on macOS using its own systems. It has nothing to do with PUSH service provided on iOS/macOS platform (based on Apples own architecture). They don’t provide mobile apps yet. We’ll see.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Mimestream supports PUSH on macOS using its own systems. It has nothing to do with PUSH service provided on iOS/macOS platform (based on Apples own architecture). They don’t provide mobile apps yet. We’ll see.
I was talking about the Gmail API. It supports push: https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/push

I assumed that's how Mimestream handles push, since they use the Gmail API. But yes, apps built with the Gmail API can support true push notifications.

• Disagree

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I wish my Photos app looked like those shown in Apple’s presentations. Nearly organised albums, free of duplicates, full of occasions and smiling faces.

Instead it’s a mess of screenshots, memes, near-duplicates, odd one-off photos and videos and other junk.

Sure, I could clean it up manually but any help the app could give me beyond the wildly unpredictable “moments” feature would be greatly appreciated.
Right, there should be an easy to identify, intuitive slider to remove unsightly photos in our library. Would be a huge win, and an easy way to go back and clean junk files

Reactions: jeremz1ne

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Xcode is so buggy, that I don't think any amount of AI will help.

And no, I don't have enough time in the day to enumerate all of the bugs.

Anyone that uses Xcode for anything but toy sample code, knows major issues have remained unaddressed for years.
At least SourceKit doesn't crash anymore. (Code coloring would suddenly disappear)
It's been an issue for years.

But yes - I still experiment a lot of issues with Xcode. You're totally right.

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
An overhaul sounds good if it means the iPad & Mac versions will finally be essentially the same functionality (as others have mentioned, there are no SmartAlbums on iPad Photos app, etc.).

But if the Music app is redone, does that mean it won't support your own music library? Will it be subscription-only? This concerns me more & more, as we see more examples (not just Apple) of music/movies/media that you purchased but then a licensing agreement expires and suddenly you can't access that media anymore (did you ever really "own" it?).

This is the year I decide whether to stick with $$monthly iCloud services/syncing or buy a $49 Raspberry Pi 5 & get NextCloud running

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
I was talking about the Gmail API. It supports push: https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/push

I assumed that's how Mimestream handles push, since they use the Gmail API. But yes, apps built with the Gmail API can support true push notifications.
Gmail API is a RESTful app targetting web applications. My understanding is that Mimestream server can receive push notifications from Gmail through Gmail API and propagate it to its iOS app (when it's available) through standard APNs push service provided by Apple. That's easy (used it in my app sometime ago).
For Mail app Apple would have to do the same - propagate push notifications through server registered to Gmail API servers. Implementing RESTful based push service directly in iOS is not possible... I might be wrong though.
Anyway - Gooogle Cloud is very expensive. No way Apple will implement it in iOS/Mail.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
They should fix the sync issue with the Notes app between the Mac and iPhone. For those who don't know, sometimes a new note created on the Mac doesn't sync with the iPhone until the Mac is restarted.

Isn’t it fixed already? I do recall having sync issues in the distant past, but in recent years Notes syncs perfectly for me.

I’m a fairly heavy user of the Notes app on both platforms, and often rely on notes created on one device being instantly available on the other. So I’d definitely notice if there was a problem here. And sometimes I go months between reboots of my Mac…

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Competitive advantage.

Being forced to support RCS in Europe is not a big deal for Apple in Europe, everybody was already using Whatsapp (or Viber/Messenger in some countries) as the main default messaging app, so the platform didn't matter to begin with

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Competitive advantage.

Being forced to support RCS in Europe is not a big deal for Apple in Europe, everybody was already using Whatsapp (or Viber/Messenger in some countries) as the main default messaging app, so the platform didn't matter to begin with
Meh. That's not really good evidence to support your contention about North America.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Yep, let's get the shiny parts working well and just bandaid over the bugs in functionality. Sounds like the perfect Apple user.
Why do I have to choose between features and bug fixes with a 2.7 trillion dollar company?

ypl

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2022
Gmail API is a RESTful app targetting web applications. My understanding is that Mimestream server can receive push notifications from Gmail through Gmail API and propagate it to its iOS app (when it's available) through standard APNs push service provided by Apple. That's easy (used it in my app sometime ago).
For Mail app Apple would have to do the same - propagate push notifications through server registered to Gmail API servers. Implementing RESTful based push service directly in iOS is not possible... I might be wrong though.
Anyway - Gooogle Cloud is very expensive. No way Apple will implement it in iOS/Mail.
And last but not least. Note from "Gmail API Overview":

Zrzut ekranu 2024-04-29 o 21.01.39.png

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.