Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Channelsurfer63

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2019
Vancouver BC
My XS is less than 6 months old (courtesy of Apple) but I speculate that iOS 18 will not support it.
I hope that you are wrong. My XSMax is running perfectly fine with 17.4 and I would love to keep on using it with full iOS support until the iPhone 16s get released.
If it does get dropped, as you speculate, at least it will keep getting security updates until the new model arrives.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
My sister is getting married later this year and my dad asked if it's possible to do a family group iMessage conversation that's just about the wedding, separate from our regular family chat. It isn't possible, but that would be a very good idea. To do subject specific iMessage chats.
You can just create another conversation and invite your family members and label it something like “Wedding”.

Reactions: P_Watt

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I hope that you are wrong. My XSMax is running perfectly fine with 17.4 and I would love to keep on using it with full iOS support until the iPhone 16s get released.
If it does get dropped, as you speculate, at least it will keep getting security updates until the new model arrives.

If it does get dropped, it definitely will not be until the iphone 16s arrive.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You can just create another conversation and invite your family members and label it something like “Wedding”.
But the only issue is if you invite the same family members, it'll just carry on the previous conversation instead of creating a separate one.

Oh I see, you're saying start a conversation, name it, then invite people one by one after. The only issue is that to initiate a conversation, you have to add a contact, which will carry on the previous conversation you had with that one person. And if you invite other people, then you hijacked the conversation with that initial one person and they can see all your 1-on-1 texts.

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
But the only issue is if you invite the same family members, it'll just carry on the previous conversation instead of creating a separate one.
You could invite an additional person or just not invite someone who doesn’t need to see the wedding stuff maybe? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that issue before. I’m pretty sure I have several message threads with the same people involved, and it didn’t just carry on the same conversation. But maybe I’m mistaken, it’s been a while.

I just thought of another potential solution for you. Maybe you could add an email address to the chat. I can use my email address as a contact in a message thread, so I think that would solve your problem. 👍🏻.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You could invite an additional person or just not invite someone who doesn’t need to see the wedding stuff maybe? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that issue before. I’m pretty sure I have several message threads with the same people involved, and it didn’t just carry on the same conversation. But maybe I’m mistaken, it’s been a while.
Nonetheless, it would be a good idea to give the option to create a subject line when creating a conversation, and being able to do separate subjects with the same people. Would be very useful for families.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Nonetheless, it would be a good idea to give the option to create a subject line when creating a conversation, and being able to do separate subjects with the same people. Would be very useful for families.
I could be misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I believe you already can create a subject line in Messages (see photo below). I’m not saying this couldn’t improve, I think your suggestions are good, I was just looking for a way to solve your problem so you don’t have to wait for a potential solution. I don’t know if you saw my edit to my prior comment, but one thing you could do is use one of your email addresses as a contact in the new chat, and that should separate it from the other chat. 👍🏻

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpeg
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 35

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I could be misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I believe you already can create a subject line in Messages (see photo below). I’m not saying this couldn’t improve, I think your suggestions are good, I was just looking for a way to solve your problem so you don’t have to wait for a potential solution. I don’t know if you saw my edit to my prior comment, but one thing you could do is use one of your email addresses as a contact in the new chat, and that should separate it from the other chat. 👍🏻
I just did a test and when you add a subject, it just bolds what you typed in for the subject for that one single message. It doesn't even tag the subject, so you can't group them together. I'm talking about subjects for an entire conversation

IMG_0611.png

Reactions: Kal Madda

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I could be misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I believe you already can create a subject line in Messages (see photo below). I’m not saying this couldn’t improve, I think your suggestions are good, I was just looking for a way to solve your problem so you don’t have to wait for a potential solution. I don’t know if you saw my edit to my prior comment, but one thing you could do is use one of your email addresses as a contact in the new chat, and that should separate it from the other chat.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s what he’s looking for. I believe what he is looking for is a way to have different message threads going with the same group of people, organized by topic. So one thread with Mom, Dad, Patsy and Bobby about general stuff and a second entirely different thread with Mom, Dad, Patsy and Bobby about Patsy’s wedding.

While I think this sounds good conceptually, it could really bollux up the Message servers.

Maybe a better approach would be “Message Tags” where you tag a particular message with a subject and then you can filter based on those.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I just did a test and when you add a subject, it just bolds what you typed in for the subject for that one single message. It doesn't even tag the subject, so you can't group them together. I'm talking about subjects for an entire conversation

View attachment 2353255
Ok, that’s what I thought you were talking about, but I guess I misunderstood. 👍🏻. That would be a nice addition. 👍🏻. I hope they add that and make it a bit easier to create several chats with the same people. But I hope that that email tip helps you out in the meantime. 👍🏻

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Yeah, I don’t think that’s what he’s looking for. I believe what he is looking for is a way to have different message threads going with the same group of people, organized by topic. So one thread with Mom, Dad, Patsy and Bobby about general stuff and a second entirely different thread with Mom, Dad, Patsy and Bobby about Patsy’s wedding.
Yeah, that would be a good addition. 👍🏻. Currently, you can do this if the second wedding chat includes one of their email contacts in addition. 👍🏻

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Yeah, that would be a good addition. . Currently, you can do this if the second wedding chat includes one of their email contacts in addition.

I added some more material to the message you quoted, so check that out. But the way you outline is probably the best workaround at this point.

Reactions: Kal Madda

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

While I think this sounds good conceptually, it could really bollux up the Message servers.

Maybe a better approach would be “Message Tags” where you tag a particular message with a subject and then you can filter based on those.
I emailed Craig anyway, it's worth a shot lol. If it isn't feasible to implement, maybe it'll inspire him to come up with an alternative idea.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I'm really excited about iOS 18, I know that UI changes are not the most important thing for many users, but as a frontend engineer, UX designer, etc, UI updates excite me. Also, it's often when Apple adopts a design it becomes widely used. I see comments such as "we don't need new UI, just give us bug fixes", but in the grand scheme of things, a redesign can send a new trend that we will be seeing more and more in the years to come.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
There should be an API for shopping apps to share tracking information with the wallet app. I know Apple Card has this available with an extremely limited amount of stores, but they should expand it.

I think the Wallet app is going to get big updates in iOS 18.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
Because we don’t have an iPadOS 18 speculation thread, I’ll share this here: It would be great to have Widgets on the external monitor. That way, the external screen desktop would be more useful with windowed apps.
Yes, this would be great! 👍🏻.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.