Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
One feature I’m hoping for in iPadOS 18 (and I think may be likely) is the ability to reformat drives. Already, the Files app has incorporated an “Erase” and “Rename” tool in the Files app for external drives. These functions look exactly the way they do in Disc Utility on macOS, only the “Rename” option doesn’t currently include a pop-up box asking what format you want to use for the drive like it does in Disc Utility. But I could see this possibly changing in iPadOS 18.

Reactions: Populus

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
App Library is really just a loosly defined bin it throws apps into. The real launcher is spotlight.
And that’s why I am hoping, that with the possibility to customize your homescreens a bit more in iOS 18, we‘ll get the possibility to turn that stupid App Libary OFF!
I hated it on day 1 and continue to do so until today. 🤪

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
And that’s why I am hoping, that with the possibility to customize your homescreens a bit more in iOS 18, we‘ll get the possibility to turn that stupid App Libary OFF!
I like the App Library, it makes accessing apps a lot faster on my iPad when I’m multitasking. It could use a little bit more customization options, but it isn’t bad as it is. It’s actually very useful to me.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I would like to be able to customize the App Library. I'd do away with the current format and just have the pull down list in view all the time. This could be made optional, users choice. That's the trouble with iPhone, not enough options to customize. High time they allowed us to do more simple things to make our phones our own.
And please for gods sake if we can FINALLY be able to move the icons where we want let us delete the icon titles if we want.

Reactions: redbeard331

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Random thought but I suspect we’re going to get that “Don’t use the early betas of iOS 18 on your primary device” warning like we did for (I believe) iOS 13.

With the hinted at changes, I would imagine the early betas could be a bit rough.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Random thought but I suspect we’re going to get that “Don’t use the early betas of iOS 18 on your primary device” warning like we did for (I believe) iOS 13.

With the hinted at changes, I would imagine the early betas could be a bit rough.
Yeah, I agree, if iOS 18 is so disruptive as it has been rumored, with big UI changes and especially AI features, it will be rough at first.

I only hope that eventually, even A14 devices with just 4GB of RAM can handle it easily.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
My sister is getting married later this year and my dad asked if it's possible to do a family group iMessage conversation that's just about the wedding, separate from our regular family chat. It isn't possible, but that would be a very good idea. To do subject specific iMessage chats.
Basically its a group chat, like in WhatsApp.
Making a group is a breeze on WhatsApp, and a single contact can be a member of multiple groups which can be created on the fly, for any topic.
I wish it comes to iMessages.

Last edited:

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
It looks like Apple is working on some major improvements to the calculator app. I’m thinking iPadOS 18 will also get this new calculator app.

Reactions: boston04and07

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Just give me a toggle in settings to make the alpha sort the default instead of an additional gesture.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I’m excited about the rumors about better integration between the Calendar and Reminders app! I think that makes a lot of sense. 👍🏻

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I suspect that we will see some accessibility announcements from Apple as part of the iPad event. We’ve seen these announcements the last several years out ahead of WWDC, typically in connection with Global Accessibility Awareness Day (this year on May 18th). But it may make sense to announce them on May 7th when they have a larger audience.

These features frequently end up becoming quasi-mainline features (Live Speech, Personal Voice, etc), so that may be a useful glimpse into what may be coming at WWDC.

Reactions: Kal Madda

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Ok people: time to start getting excited about iOS 18. I suspect that this will be the update we all have been waiting for. There will be UI enhancements (including the ability to move app icons freely), AI integration and who knows what else.

The question is: how rough will the betas be? My guess: pretty rough until mid July.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Ok people: time to start getting excited about iOS 18. I suspect that this will be the update we all have been waiting for. There will be UI enhancements (including the ability to move app icons freely), AI integration and who knows what else.

The question is: how rough will the betas be? My guess: pretty rough until mid July.
There's a reason to why the public beta doesn't arrive until the end of June or early July. :cool:

If there are lot more UI dev beta changes this go around should be a lot of fun to test out as long as you fully back yourselves up beforehand. We certainly don't want to read angry posts because you didn't. ;)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
There's a reason to why the public beta doesn't arrive until the end of June or early July. :cool:

If there are lot more UI dev beta changes this go around should be a lot of fun to test out as long as you fully back yourselves up beforehand. We certainly don't want to read angry posts because you didn't. ;)
Absolutely on both counts. And this year, I expect Apple to give the same warning they did with the iOS 13 betas: "don't use it on your daily driver and we really mean it!"

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Absolutely on both counts. And this year, I expect Apple to give the same warning they did with the iOS 13 betas: "don't use it on your daily driver and we really mean it!"
Yeah, I’ve never been a beta tester for iOS (I was for OS X) but I remember the beginning of iOS 13… apparently the main feature was dark mode -at least the one I clearly remember-, but maybe there were more under the hood changes than expected.

I expect this year to be even worse, but we’ll see, maybe they’ve been working on this new version/design for long enough that it is quite polished.

Ahmad4MayLod

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2024
Welcome

I know this is early but as iOS 17 isnt getting much more until iOS 18 release in June, lets start this chat with what we would like to see and what think iOS 18 will bring, its going to be a big release and very exciting.
Once the first beta in June is released we will use this chat to talk about regular beta releases :)

Enjoy guys
i think ios 18 will not be a big update. I'm not really exciting to it.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
i think ios 18 will not be a big update. I'm not really exciting to it.
I suspect you are the only person on planet earth who thinks this.
Yeah, either because of the rumored redesign, or because of all the new AI features (or both), I think iOS 18 will be a significant change, and I suspect this has been in the works for a while.

I’m wondering if I’ll be able to hold conversations with the new Siri out loud.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022

Yeah, even on these betas, I like to save native backups of my iPad to my Mac. I don’t have an extra device for beta testing, so I have been carefully running the betas on my daily driver. With iPadOS 17, it hasn’t been an issue. But with 18, who knows. I might hold off on installing the beta for iPadOS 18 a bit. If I do install it right away, I’ll be sure to have a backup I can restore to if needed. 👍🏻

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.