Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
After looking at iPhone comparison page, I think A14 Bionic should be the minimum but if they are going to support A12 Bionic and A13 Bionic then iOS 18 will be the last major version...

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
The SE2 and SE3 are the last to have a Home Button. Hopefully once they lose support then the Home Bar will disappear. Sadly that is still some years off.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
How about an actual global back gesture, like Android has? Being able to swipe from either edge makes a world of difference, especially for people that hold their phone with the right hand. Having to reach over to the other side with my right hand just doesn't feel right.

Do you think Apple will ever implement this? I think it would bring over a lot of Android users. The user experience alone is worth it for me.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
How about an actual global back gesture, like Android has? Being able to swipe from either edge makes a world of difference, especially for people that hold their phone with the right hand. Having to reach over to the other side with my right hand just doesn't feel right.

Do you think Apple will ever implement this? I think it would bring over a lot of Android users. The user experience alone is worth it for me.
There already is a global back gesture. Swiping from the left edge of screen towards the right takes you back. If you’re talking about that gaudy button strip on Android, then I hope that never comes to iOS, that looks ugly, wastes screen real-estate, and isn’t as smooth as iOS’s swipe gestures. But maybe there’s some other Android navigation thing I don’t know about?

Last edited:
Reactions: d0sed0se and gank41

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
For me at this point the most important thing is the control center on iPadOS. It is absolutely asinine that it takes up the entire iPad display for absolutely no reason. It’s fine on iOS but for iPads the control center is honestly just an insult.
Which iPad? Neither of my Pros do this.

Reactions: Kal Madda

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Which iPad? Neither of my Pros do this.
Possibly if one adds too many additional items to control center. Example from a iPad mini 6

iPad-mini-control-center-780x520@2x.jpg

The Mini vs Air vs 11" Pro resolutions are not that much different comparably. The larger 12.9" would be less bothersome with expanded control panel setup.
Mini 8.3-inch (diagonal) = 2266‑by‑1488 resolution at 326 ppi
Air 10.9-inch (diagonal) = 2360‑by‑1640 resolution at 264 ppi
Pro 11.0-inch (diagonal)= 2388-by-1668 resolution at 264 ppi
Pro 12.9-inch (diagonal) = 2732-by-2048 resolution at 264 ppi

Probably his thoughts are against the current 17.4 IPadOS Control center setups where you can't move the icons around adequately (fixed array) to avoid the control panel array getting in the way.

This is something that a lot of iPadOS users would want changed on IPadOS 18.

Reactions: Project Alice

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
There already is a global back gesture. Swiping from the left edge of screen towards the right takes you back. If you’re talking about that gaudy button strip on Android, then I hope that never comes to iOS, that looks ugly, wastes screen real-estate, and isn’t as smooth as iOS’s swipe gestures. But maybe there’s some other Android navigation thing I don’t know about?
No I'm not talking about the button strip. On android you can go back by swiping from the left or right edge. On iPhone it's only the left edge which is awkward for right handed use.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
No I'm not talking about the button strip. On android you can go back by swiping from the left or right edge. On iPhone it's only the left edge which is awkward for right handed use.
Honestly, I think that would be very awkward and hard to remember. Swiping on the left edge to go back makes intuitive sense, it’s like flipping the page on a book. Switching that around wouldn’t make much sense to me. Maybe they could make that a setting? Come to think about it, that may already be an Accessibility Setting.

Reactions: d0sed0se

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 7/7 Plus released with iOS 10 and final major version of iOS 15 [6 years]
iPhone X/8/8 Plus released with iOS 11 and final major version of iOS 16 [6 years]

It's possible that iPhone XR/XS/XS Max final version is iOS 17 while iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max is iOS 18

Or Apple could give A12 Bionic devices 7 years just like iPhone 6s/6s Plus/SE 2016

That will be the end of 5.8" and 6.5" display [19.5:9] iPhone

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
Honestly, I think that would be very awkward and hard to remember. Swiping on the left edge to go back makes intuitive sense, it’s like flipping the page on a book. Switching that around wouldn’t make much sense to me. Maybe they could make that a setting? Come to think about it, that may already be an Accessibility Setting.

For people that are used to the iOS gesture experience, maybe so, but for anyone coming from Android, it's the norm.

I just think if Apple added it as a setting they'd get a lot more people moving over from Android. I've tried going back to iPhone a few times and I always miss the back gesture from Android too much.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
There are still about 2-3 years to go! 😉

I imagine it will always be there in some form. The shape and the notch have become an important part of Apple's visual identity to the point that they added it to their laptops. I get that its taking up otherwise dead space in the Manu Bar but they could have just as easily hidden a punchhole camera in the black Apple logo in the top left-hand corner. It doesn't bother me either way but they made a clear choice.

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022
I imagine it will always be there in some form. The shape and the notch have become an important part of Apple's visual identity to the point that they added it to their laptops. I get that its taking up otherwise dead space in the Manu Bar but they could have just as easily hidden a punchhole camera in the black Apple logo in the top left-hand corner. It doesn't bother me either way but they made a clear choice.
I like the display notch and Dynamic Island. I’m actually hoping that they add either a notch or Dynamic Island to the iPad Pro. I think that would look really cool, but it would definitely need to be in the landscape position so it would be more like the lid of a MacBook. But I’m hoping that iOS 18 will make better use of the Dynamic Island on iOS, and will add more functionality to the Status Bar on iPadOS.

• Haha
Reactions: d0sed0se

Kal Madda

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2022

terrence1019

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015
Over the years, when I see discussions like this, I ask myself one question:

What does Android have (or can do) that Apple hasn’t implemented yet?

• PC file transfer

• Bluetooth file transfer

• NFC file transfer

• App sideloading

• 3rd party app stores

• Split Screen for iPhones

• Improved app multitasking

• Improved background app management

• Flexible home screen layout & widgets

• 3rd party dynamic wallpapers for home screen and lock screen

• 3rd party apps in Control Center

• Better support for legacy apps

• AlarmKit API for 3rd party clock apps to use alarms

• ToneKit API for 3rd party apps to use custom ringtones & custom notification sounds per app

• PlaylistKit API for creating playlists and smart playlists

• Import tones from Files app (“Save Tone”, “Save 2 Tones”, “Save 3 Tones”)

• Improved default app selector/selection

• A “rotate screen to landscape” icon pop-up in apps when rotating the screen while iPhone is locked in portrait mode

• Improved background process management

• Support for 3rd party AI assistants (e.g., Google and Alexa)

• Textured backgrounds for Notes app

I think iOS is slowly growing into a mature mobile PC with the amount of things I can perform on it. A lot of the changes are tweaks that can improve day-to-day usage.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
This is more of a “wish” than a speculation:

I really hope at some point Apple enables an option in Messages to where upon opening a particular thread/conversation, you are taken to the 1st UNREAD message, allowing you to read from there and “catch up” instead of taking you to the most recent message.

This would help keep people from re-asking or missing messages that were already sent.

Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.