Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I don't think Apple is going to keep the same theme for more than 3 major versions ?
iOS 4 was a major redesign and so was iOS 7
What could be different for 10 ? Should they bring back the schormohrism theme ?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I don't think Apple is going to keep the same theme for more than 3 major versions ?
What could be different for 10 ? Should they bring back the schormohrism theme ?

In what way was 4 a major redesign?
That is not a word.

Reactions: Col4bin

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Nope. We're stuck with this ugly crap for a long time. Tim Cook and Jonny Ive doing a good job ruining Apple.

Reactions: Col4bin

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK

Doing so would anger users who like iOS 7 design and users who got used to the new design. As stated, how was 4 a redisgn? I don't think there will be one for a loooong time

0xyMoron

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
California
The flat/simplistic design approach is gonna stay with us for a very long time, a couple of retouches here and there but with Yosemite following path i don't see Apple shifting their new design strategy any time soon.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
iOS 4 added home screen wallpapers and a new dock. Everything else was mostly the same. I don't see a redesign coming until iOS 12 or 13.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS X. There are design changes every 3 versions, iOS 4 brought new animations and dock, and iOS 7 did as well.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
But iOS 7 was a complete redesign, while all the apps and iOS 4 looked exactly the same.

iOS 4 did add wallpapers too. iOS 10 will probably be more like the changes in iOS 4, more subtle, maybe more like Yosemite. Then in 2018 they'll do a radical iOS 7 like redesign, if they follow the hypothetical pattern, which they often do.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
I strongly believe the Apple Watch UI will be on the iPhone buy iOSX.

Attachments

• iPhone-Apple-Watch-UI.png
    iPhone-Apple-Watch-UI.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 1,448

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Man, they just got OS X's look and feel to match IOS. I don't see iOS changing drastically anytime soon.

If anything a new iOS for bigger tablets, but the phone look and feel stays the same for awhile.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I do not know how this UI will make using iPhone easier. it is like a mess to me, how are you suppose to find an app? It is like bunch of paper on the floor and you need find one document from these mess.

I agree with you. The watch UI will be a complete mess if it's blown up to a phone screen. It's so disorganised and I dare to say, ugly. Some people with Trypophobia will find it extremely irritating.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Guys you don't get it. The iPhone will know what app you want before you unlock it. It's already starting to do this with iOS 8 i.e. handoff and location based on lock screen. Think outside the box.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
iOS 10 will be mimicking Android's Material Design. Apple is always repeating what others did some time ago, just [used to be, but no more] doing it better. iOS 7 mimicked Android's and Windows' flat designs. iOS 9 would be too early to mimic Material Design, 10 is just right. It'll be like Material Design, just made ugly. Prepare for years of unapologetic ugliness. Ive is still young and has many years to go. "When something exceeds your ability to understand how it can be so F ugly, it sort of becomes magical."

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
They may tweak the design. iOS 6 featured a tweaked version of the iOS 5 design - EG - Redesign of the Phone App, Maps, top bar colour, music app redesign.

iOS 4 was actually a smaller design change then iOS 6 was. iOS 4 had redesigned dock, and that with the combination of a wallpaper gave the home screen a new look, but the apps were almost all the same design. iOS 6 actually featured redesigns in some apps :)

devinthomas

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Well, if that 3D screen thing turns out to be true I'm sure we'll see tons of little tweaks and tightened areas of iOS 9. I think we'll see more color moving forward, hopefully ripping off Material Design a bit (it's beautiful, be honest.)

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
It just won't be a design change guys. Don't forget Health-Kit and Home-Kit....

With other appliance manufacturers making their products getting to talk to iPhone, just imagine how much more functional increases will be there on your iPhones....

I bet you, we will be controlling a lot of things through our iPhone.... It will be a design and functional changes as well... i have no doubt....

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yes, Look how far we've come already. We use phones for everything. People don't even talk anymore, they text.

In all practicality, iOS has really changed very little as far as radical redesign goes. I had the first iPhone and then abandoned it about a year later. I came back to iOS 6 and iPhone 5. And not much was substantially different. Just tweaks, but otherwise completely familiar.

Up to 8.1 now, and still much like the very first iPhone. Tweaked, enhanced, and improved. But not radically different. Nothing that would be a Learning curve to use the phone's basic features if I were coming directly from the first iPhone I remember.

The biggest improvement really, is that I would have nearly killed the battery on my first iPhone by typing this response.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Well you got the good job part right. They've been selling a crapload of iPhones and Macs lately.

Microsoft sold craploads of Windows operating systems. What's your point?

Doing a good job is not about selling the most, it's about making really great products.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Microsoft sold craploads of Windows operating systems. What's your point?

Doing a good job is not about selling the most, it's about making really great products.

My point is that consumers have a choice, and they're choosing iPhone more than ever. iOS 7 hasn't been an issue, or else people wouldn't buy it.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
My point is that consumers have a choice, and they're choosing iPhone more than ever. iOS 7 hasn't been an issue, or else people wouldn't buy it.

That's because it's essentially the same as all the previous versions of iOS. It's going to take more than a horrible skin and a few bugs to get people to stop using the iPhone. It will however, affect people's perception of Apple. Instead of being known for making the best products, they will slowly degrade to just another company. There was a report that came out a few weeks ago showing that customer satisfaction for iPad and iPhone had dropped. Hmm.. I wonder what's causing that.

People are so quick to point out Apple's sales when trying to justify Tim Cook's reign at Apple. What they don't understand is that Apple have not created any new products since Steve Jobs died. All they have done is update existing products.. The current iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iMacs etc.. All have the same form factor and essentially the same UI as the ones being sold when Steve was around. These are great products and it will take more than horrible UI changes like iOS 7 and Yosemite to stop people buying them.

The real test for Apple is when they create something entirely new; something that didn't exist in any form when Steve Jobs was around. The Apple Watch is that product. Let's see how well it does...

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
That's because it's essentially the same as all the previous versions of iOS. It's going to take more than a horrible skin and a few bugs to get people to stop using the iPhone. It will however, affect people's perception of Apple. Instead of being known for making the best products, they will slowly degrade to just another company. There was a report that came out a few weeks ago showing that customer satisfaction for iPad and iPhone had dropped. Hmm.. I wonder what's causing that.

People are so quick to point out Apple's sales when trying to justify Tim Cook's reign at Apple. What they don't understand is that Apple have not created any new products since Steve Jobs died. All they have done is update existing products.. The current iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iMacs etc.. All have the same form factor and essentially the same UI as the ones being sold when Steve was around. These are great products and it will take more than horrible UI changes like iOS 7 and Yosemite to stop people buying them.

The real test for Apple is when they create something entirely new; something that didn't exist in any form when Steve Jobs was around. The Apple Watch is that product. Let's see how well it does...

So in your opinion, how many new non-existant products should have Apple released to make them a great company ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.