Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
So in your opinion, how many new non-existant products should have Apple released to make them a great company ??

I never said they should have created new products by now. My point was that people shouldn't be so quick to give Tim Cook credit for products that were created under Steve Jobs. Updating an already successful product is not as difficult as making something entirely new. When Apple do release something entirely new and it turns out to be a success, then I'll give Tim Cook some credit.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
I never said they should have created new products by now. My point was that people shouldn't be so quick to give Tim Cook credit for products that were created under Steve Jobs. Updating an already successful product is not as difficult as making something entirely new. When Apple do release something entirely new and it turns out to be a success, then I'll give Tim Cook some credit.

Firstly when Steve was around they introduced a new product on average every 4-5 years, mainly the iPod in 2001, iPhone in 2007 and iPad in 2010. Now under Tim Cook we have the Apple watch in 2014, so stop pretending Apple introduced revolutionary products every year. They always improved and refined their main products as they should, Touch ID for example is pretty revolutionary in some ways. Retina screens on Mac books and now on the 5k iMac not revolutionary enough?

Secondly, why such a high standard with Apple and not all the other companies?

Finally, sales actually don't lie in regards to Apples success or costumer satisfaction and your windows analogy in the other post was pathetic. You now gonna tell me they sold more android devices as well? In reality all mobile OEMs are actually broke apart from Samsung and it's not like PC OEMs are doing much better.
Apple is 1 company making their own hardware and software competing against 1 OS (android or windows) with a million OEMs that actually make the hardware. Most of it is cheap to buy, cheaply made using old tech, refreshed every few months, running outdated and unsupported software, we call it Crap.
Apple seem to be doing pretty great, I mean Samsung basically went on red alert when they saw the iPhone 6 sales. But sure the forum poster will not give Tim Cook credit, Steve Job sure must have not know anything when he put him in charge. You should run the company that is twice as valuable as its nearest competitor :mad:

Last edited:

tj22

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Let's hope the jailbreak community can come through to give Apple some new ideas.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
iOS 10 will be mimicking Android's Material Design. Apple is always repeating what others did some time ago, just [used to be, but no more] doing it better. iOS 7 mimicked Android's and Windows' flat designs. iOS 9 would be too early to mimic Material Design, 10 is just right. It'll be like Material Design, just made ugly. Prepare for years of unapologetic ugliness. Ive is still young and has many years to go. "When something exceeds your ability to understand how it can be so F ugly, it sort of becomes magical."

No no, Apple takes their own spin on things by combining ideas from everywhere. I suspect iOS will adopt OS X Yosemite design language changes. I'd like to see then replace some of the white with color though. For instance, navigation bars could use app specific coloring.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE

Tim Cook alone is not Apple. There are many things and people who go into making a great company.

Tim Cook recently said that Steve's DNA is integral part of what Apple is all about. And do you know what Steve believed in - in making great products and putting consumers first. Great products don't necssarily mean creating things every year.

Name me other companies who follow these philosophy?

As long as Tim Cook stays true to this principle, Apple will stay a great company...and profits always follow a great product..

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
iOS 1 - iOS 6 - same design.

"I don't think Apple is going to keep the same theme for more than 3 major versions ?"

I have absolutely no idea how you reached that conclusion.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No, we're going to be staying with this design for a good long time. Things will be tweaked, like how control center looks better in iOS 8 than iOS 7, or how they improved the clarity of some of the icons like bookmarks. I think they might add a dark mode, especially after adding on in Yosemite (even though it's limited). I would love a darkmode across all of iOS. But it will be the same icons, typefaces, and blurred transparent layers that we have now. I think dark mode, along with split screen multitasking on the iPad Air 2 will be two of the major UI changes in iOS 9. We might also see some sort of interactive home screen elements. But again, the general look and feel will be very much the same going forward.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I certainly want them to redesign the UI, I don't like the flat design that focuses on Text as it obscures the meaning of various elements (its that Text a button or label for instance), but I don't imagine it will be for a few years yet.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Material Design looks a lot like iOS with many of its issues fixed, I think they may be a bit too similar to copy it.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Firstly when Steve was around they introduced a new product on average every 4-5 years, mainly the iPod in 2001, iPhone in 2007 and iPad in 2010. Now under Tim Cook we have the Apple watch in 2014, so stop pretending Apple introduced revolutionary products every year.

Did you even read my post? I'm NOT criticising Tim Cook for not releasing a new product every year. All I'm saying is, living off the success of already established products doesn't prove anything. You would have to be some kind of moron to ruin the sales of the iPhone and iPad.

Until Apple under Tim Cook create an entirely new product, and it's successful, I won't be praising Cook too much.

But sure the forum poster will not give Tim Cook credit, Steve Job sure must have not know anything when he put him in charge. You should run the company that is twice as valuable as its nearest competitor :mad:

Steve also hired John Sculley, remember? ;)

Tim Cook alone is not Apple. There are many things and people who go into making a great company.

I'm talking about Apple under Tim Cook. How hard is that to understand?

Tim Cook recently said that Steve's DNA is integral part of what Apple is all about. And do you know what Steve believed in - in making great products and putting consumers first. Great products don't necssarily mean creating things every year.

Name me other companies who follow these philosophy?

As long as Tim Cook stays true to this principle, Apple will stay a great company...and profits always follow a great product..

Of course Tim Cook is going to say that. You really think he would come out and say "Steve's dead now, it's over. This is my Apple now."

Steve was passionate about making great products and ensuring that Apple had the best reputation. I'm not convinced that the current management care as much.

Last edited:

vintimus

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Would not be surprised if the circular icons make its way into iOS eventually.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
That's because it's essentially the same as all the previous versions of iOS. It's going to take more than a horrible skin and a few bugs to get people to stop using the iPhone. It will however, affect people's perception of Apple. Instead of being known for making the best products, they will slowly degrade to just another company. There was a report that came out a few weeks ago showing that customer satisfaction for iPad and iPhone had dropped. Hmm.. I wonder what's causing that.

People are so quick to point out Apple's sales when trying to justify Tim Cook's reign at Apple. What they don't understand is that Apple have not created any new products since Steve Jobs died. All they have done is update existing products.. The current iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iMacs etc.. All have the same form factor and essentially the same UI as the ones being sold when Steve was around. These are great products and it will take more than horrible UI changes like iOS 7 and Yosemite to stop people buying them.

The real test for Apple is when they create something entirely new; something that didn't exist in any form when Steve Jobs was around. The Apple Watch is that product. Let's see how well it does...[/QUOTE

And which worldwide successful company you are CEO of, since you sound very qualified to question Tim Cook's job?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I strongly believe the Apple Watch UI will be on the iPhone buy iOSX.

I would absolutely LOVE to see the home screen concept of the Watch UI land on an iPhone. It makes finding icons so freakin easy especially if you can make the center of the circle your most commonly used apps.

Flipping through pages is getting old.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I would absolutely LOVE to see the home screen concept of the Watch UI land on an iPhone. It makes finding icons so freakin easy especially if you can make the center of the circle your most commonly used apps.

Flipping through pages is getting old.

I still failed to understand how Apple Watch UI would makes finding icons so freaking easy? How many apps can you put in the center of the circle? What about people have over 100+?

What is good is keep grids of icons and folders, but allows users to customizing where to put (A.K.A Android method).

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I want iOS 6 back more than anybody; however, I would be opened to themes in the next iOS version. Apple should make a classic theme.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That's because it's essentially the same as all the previous versions of iOS. It's going to take more than a horrible skin and a few bugs to get people to stop using the iPhone. It will however, affect people's perception of Apple. Instead of being known for making the best products, they will slowly degrade to just another company. There was a report that came out a few weeks ago showing that customer satisfaction for iPad and iPhone had dropped. Hmm.. I wonder what's causing that.

People are so quick to point out Apple's sales when trying to justify Tim Cook's reign at Apple. What they don't understand is that Apple have not created any new products since Steve Jobs died. All they have done is update existing products.. The current iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, iMacs etc.. All have the same form factor and essentially the same UI as the ones being sold when Steve was around. These are great products and it will take more than horrible UI changes like iOS 7 and Yosemite to stop people buying them.

The real test for Apple is when they create something entirely new; something that didn't exist in any form when Steve Jobs was around. The Apple Watch is that product. Let's see how well it does...

But still number one in customer satisfaction overall

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
iOS needs to have the visual style that Yosemite has. They understood that shadows have a purpose in UI there, but they seem to refuse to put drop shadows anywhere in iOS.

It's been impossible to find a wallpaper that looks nice on iOS since iOS 7 because they all have different colors that are easily mixed into the wallpaper. No matter what color the wallpaper is, some icons will throw off the entire home screen's balance. Unless it's Apple's default wallpaper.

I just want some visual pleasure. iOS is just too minimal and there's not enough detail in animation and graphics for me to appreciate it (yet it's way more of a heavy load than iOS 6).

There are some things that look really nice, like the power off slider, but it's something I rarely have to use. All of the most commonly used parts of the OS are just bland.

Attachments

• iOS8 - Sicks.png
    iOS8 - Sicks.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 256

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
It would be funny if more app developers follow the Google's lead of sneaking the trojan horse of Material Design into App Store and in a year most of the most downloaded apps look like Android. Beautiful Lollipop designs running on an unapologetically ugly iOS. :D

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
I agree with you. The watch UI will be a complete mess if it's blown up to a phone screen. It's so disorganised and I dare to say, ugly. Some people with Trypophobia will find it extremely irritating.

The Watch UI looks a complete mess on the bloody watch let alone on a phone lol. I hope Apple stick with this design and just refine it, we have a few more years yet before a major redesign is necessary. Apple got that out of the way and now they're concentrating on opening the platform more to developers and tightening it up, something they've not done as well when it comes to iOS 8 which had no redesign by the way.

----------

iOS needs to have the visual style that Yosemite has. They understood that shadows have a purpose in UI there, but they seem to refuse to put drop shadows anywhere in iOS.

It's been impossible to find a wallpaper that looks nice on iOS since iOS 7 because they all have different colors that are easily mixed into the wallpaper. No matter what color the wallpaper is, some icons will throw off the entire home screen's balance. Unless it's Apple's default wallpaper.

I just want some visual pleasure. iOS is just too minimal and there's not enough detail in animation and graphics for me to appreciate it (yet it's way more of a heavy load than iOS 6).

There are some things that look really nice, like the power off slider, but it's something I rarely have to use. All of the most commonly used parts of the OS are just bland.

That just looks confusing - the point of getting ride of the slider was a preparation for bigger screen sized phones. You don't have to go to a specific spot to unlock the screen, especially with one handed use, it's more intuitive. To go back to that would confuse people and it's completely useless when bigger phones are prevalent.

You can say you still have the option, but the whole point of having it kind of blend in the background is to let people know you don't have to unlock from a specific spot.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Pimple

… horrible skin and a few bugs … will however, affect people's perception of Apple.

+1

Instead of being known for making the best products, they will slowly degrade to just another company. … a report that came out a few weeks ago showing that customer satisfaction for iPad and iPhone had dropped. …

Thanks, do you have a link?

You may be interested in https://twitter.com/grahamperrin/status/533696885132120066 – I'm more interested in the possibly awful customer disloyalty towards Yosemite, but I chose to also include iOS 8 (with apparently less disloyalty).

Nope. We're stuck with this ugly crap for a long time. … ruining Apple.

I can't say that I'm optimistic, but I do have a hunch that Apple is preparing to reign itself in a little in 2015 or early 2016 …

… with Yosemite following path i don't see Apple shifting their new design strategy any time soon.

… https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20552369#post20552369 there's an unanswered question in the last paragraph.

… They've been selling a crapload of iPhones and Macs lately.

Closer to the topic: software. Operating systems aside for a moment:

Getting closer to the design of iOS: the operating systems as a whole. I see Yosemite occasionally dip to two stars in the Apple Store in France and elsewhere. That's not even OK.

… Doing a good job is not about selling the most, it's about making really great products.

Yes!

It's so nice to find someone else offering a reminder of what Apple should be about :)

Man, they just got OS X's look and feel to match IOS. …

Ouch!

… there's a stance against convergence; instead we have continuity. …

– continuity does not require the look and feel to match on such different types of hardware.

Anyone: when did the look and feel of OS X Mavericks on a Mac make it difficult to do something with iOS on an iPhone?

Has Apple taken things too far?

Let's hope the jailbreak community can come through …

There'll be some hacking of the appearance of Yosemite, too. With understandable concerns about potential risks to stability of the OS. https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20554716#post20554716 for a recent response to those concerns.

… I would be opened to themes in the next iOS …

Themes would be welcome but I fear that customers will continue to get the ill-fitting one-size-fits-all approach.

iOS needs to have the visual style that Yosemite has.

I can't give that much thought until after Apple fixes the visual style problems in Yosemite.

They understood that shadows have a purpose in UI there …

Yosemite reduced the shadowing. That's amongst the areas of complaint.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
IOS 9/10 is likely to be a major bug fix and performance / battery life improvement over iOS8 just as mavericks was to mountain lion. They probably went a bit feature mad last year with iOS8 and now need to iron out all the problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.