Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Nope. We're stuck with this ugly crap for a long time. Tim Cook and Jonny Ive doing a good job ruining Apple.

Skeuomorphism just looked old.

Microsoft sold craploads of Windows operating systems. What's your point?

Doing a good job is not about selling the most, it's about making really great products.

Actually, money is the point of a business. So, yes, him doing a good job is centered around him making more money.

I strongly believe the Apple Watch UI will be on the iPhone buy iOSX.

I hope not.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Skeuomorphism, Tim Cook, money, redesigns

Skeuomorphism

… just looked old.

With respect (I can't guess whether this applies to Michael Goff): some people consider skeuomorphism to be outdated without properly understanding the contexts in which it may used to great effect. Related:

Yosemite looks terrible! – User experience: some links

Whilst I do not expect to gain a full understanding, the answers in User Experience Stack Exchange did cause me to cease taking an overly simplistic view of skeuomorphism.

Tim Cook, money, and a stated desire for Apple to produce the best products

… him doing a good job is centered around him making more money. …

Every time someone gushes about numbers, about market share, about profitability or whatever – in response to a complaint about a product – there's another silent but sure swing of the sledgehammer at a pillar of something that Tim Cook reportedly holds dear.

Design, redesign and redesign: expect the unexpected

Why would there be a redesign already?

Mac users were intended to benefit from Apple's "Completely new" design.

Should iPad and iPhone users be excluded from comparable good intentions in the future?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Skeuomorphism

With respect (I can't guess whether this applies to Michael Goff): some people consider skeuomorphism to be outdated without properly understanding the contexts in which it may used to great effect. Related:

Yosemite looks terrible! – User experience: some links

Whilst I do not expect to gain a full understanding, the answers in User Experience Stack Exchange did cause me to cease taking an overly simplistic view of skeuomorphism.

Tim Cook, money, and a stated desire for Apple to produce the best products

Every time someone gushes about numbers, about market share, about profitability or whatever – in response to a complaint about a product – there's another silent but sure swing of the sledgehammer at a pillar of something that Tim Cook reportedly holds dear.

Design, redesign and redesign: expect the unexpected

Mac users were intended to benefit from Apple's "Completely new" design.

Should iPad and iPhone users be excluded from comparable good intentions in the future?

I will admit to likely needing to look more into skeuomorphism, which isn't a word according to iOS btw, so I'll move into the second thing tday was quoted from my post

Defending bad products with money:

Never did that, never going to start. There have been a lot of bugs recently in just about everything. Apple, Microsoft, Google, the list seems to grow each year. Heck, my iPad Air 2 is having keyboard issues with this site as we speak. But the question becomes whether or not I blame the CEO for this, or whether I view him as more of a "what's best for business" sort of guy.

The answer is that I blame other parts of Apple for the bugs that go through. Contrary to popular belief, the CEO doesn't do any coding, or QA, or anything beyond be a manager. Heck, I don't even know how much Tim Cook listens to the heads of the divisions. But looking at the time when everything was said to start going downhill for both OS X and iOS, and the leadership regarding software, it can easily be inferred that it's more Federighi than Cook. Maybe they need to get somebody else in there...

>_>

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Tim Cook alone is not Apple. There are many things and people who go into making a great company.

Tim Cook recently said that Steve's DNA is integral part of what Apple is all about. And do you know what Steve believed in - in making great products and putting consumers first. Great products don't necssarily mean creating things every year.

Name me other companies who follow these philosophy?

As long as Tim Cook stays true to this principle, Apple will stay a great company...and profits always follow a great product..

Customers don't come first though. Not anymore. Licking shareholder fanny comes first now. At all costs. just saying.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I disagree. Mostly. I think the notion of a dock and the nine icons in a folder window will disappear. But I don't see the Watch UI as working well on anything else as is

----------

Customers don't come first though. Not anymore. Licking shareholder fanny comes first now. At all costs. just saying.

The shareholders have always been first, even when it didn't seem like it. Especially with the iphone etc

BigBear14

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014

Then you must have no idea how UI design works, hell that Apple Watch UI barely makes sense for it let alone it making sense for a 4.7' + phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
The flat/simplistic design approach is gonna stay with us for a very long time, a couple of retouches here and there but with Yosemite following path i don't see Apple shifting their new design strategy any time soon.

8 is making me hate my phone, and I refuse to upgrade to Yosemite, only reason I kept my 2012 13" MBP and not upgraded to a new MBA, too boring, what are they thinking.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
how about an IOS that just works? no need for a redesign , just fix the issues ios 8 has created and tune its performance. No need to reinvent the wheel every few years. Look what happened to Microsoft when they tried to reinvent their wheel with windows 8... take away the start button and the world goes ape s@#t.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It makes no difference:

- If Apple makes changes to the UI users will whine and cry
- If Apple doesn't make changes to the UI users will whine and cry.

No matter what Apple does it's children of entitlement user base is never happy.

Apple gave away a free gift/day for 12 days last year and the user base complained about the gifts.

Apple gave away a FREE U2 Album (which I like and listen to) which cost them $100 million dollars and its userbase whined about it.

Apple doesn't do the 12 days of Christmas this year and users complain.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I think we'll see some refinements, just like we did between iOS 7 and 8, but not a major redesign for some years to come.

I know a lot of people really dislike the newer look, but have you actually tried looking at a device running iOS6 or earlier after a few months on 7 or 8? It's like going back to a non-retina display. iOS6 looks so old, dull and dated!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… iOS6 looks so old, dull and dated!

Can you describe, specifically, any of the ways in which iOS 8 achieves the opposites of those appearances?

(I'm reasonably unbiased about iOS in this topic. Running version 3.x.)

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Can you describe, specifically, any of the ways in which iOS 8 achieves the opposites of those appearances?

(I'm reasonably unbiased about iOS in this topic. Running version 3.x.)

I would say it just feels lighter and fresher. I'm guessing this is thanks to much larger use of white space and a simpler, though brighter colour pallet.

For me, the clash was a little like we see on MacRumors today. The news pages, and header area all have a newer, cleaner, modern design. Yes the forums are quite dated in style so by comparison appear a lot older and duller than they actually are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.